Hercules Powders

otter25

Beginner
May 22, 2012
Just picked up two cans of the old Hercules Reloader 19 and 22. Anyone know how much this stuff would differ from the current Reloader 19 and 22 if any.

Those would be older manufactured powders. Production of 19 was discontinued in 1964, according to my sources Is there any indication of oxidation? Was it kept at cooler temperatures? Were the containers sealed? Those are the things that would concern me.

An acrid odor and rust colour dust. Dust of any sort is indicative that deterrent is separating. Clumping is evidence of moisture. Any of these are sufficient reason to avoid using a given powder.

I had some Hercules RL 22 that I gave to a friend but before In the last couple of years I used it for 100 gr Partition's in the 264 Win Mag and also at the other end of the spectrum using the 220 gr Partition in a 30-06. The powder was fine and both loads shot well, I used Nosler's data for both with no issues. Properly stored it can last a very long time so there is a good chance the powder will work well. I'm sure current powder will be slightly different but if you start low there will be no problems.

What rounds are you planning on shooting those Hercules powders out of?

The Nosler 270 Win and 30-06 data is quite old so is likely Hercules anyway, it hasn't been changed in years.

I believe RE 19 by Hercules was made later than 1964. It is still listed in the 1992 Hercules powder guide.

Back