It all came together today... FINALLY!!!

AK7AN

Beginner
Oct 30, 2015
Went to the range yesterday and today to try and get things wrapped up for my wife Kelli and I's Mule deer hunt second season Colorado. After what we went through yesterday with her rifle. Ruger # 1 B in 257 Roberts, we were able to breathe a collective sigh of relief.

A little background on our struggles... I had tried since May to get a load, COAL combo with the Berger 115 VLD's and just couldn't get anything to come together to satisfy us.. Good velocity but nothing closer than 3 inch (at best and mostly worse) groups, I decided to try Nosler BT's, 115gr.. Loaded up a run of 5 loads starting at 47 gr Norma MRP up to 49 gr in .5 increments. 1st shot at the target yesterday and nothing.. couldn't see a hole anywhere.., so I suggested she shoot at the bottom target on the target board. Next shot was at the very right edge of the top target about an inch high of the bull... Wow.. 16 inches high.. Made the adjustment to bring the POI to the left and when I tried to adjust to move it down, I was only able to get about 14 clicks and the scope was tapped out of clicks.. We went ahead and shot the next set and the POI had moved to the center ,but still shooting about 13 inches high. Group was right at 1 MOA and velocity was what I had hoped for. 4 shots averaged 3180. Hmmmm, what gives? I had just recently ordered a new scope ring from Ruger for the rear mount so we could get the scope slid back for an easier eye relief for Kelli, so I suspected maybe an issue with the new ring..
Finished our day working with the Weatherby Vanguard 270 Win and some trial loads with the Hornady 145gr ELDX's. 1st 3 loaded with 47.5 gr Norma MRP and a nice group around 1.5 MOA.. not bad.. Next 3 were 48gr MRP and the group tightened to right at 1 inch.. Veloctiy was excellent, 3 shots averaging 3060 with 18fps ES..

Packed up and went home and knew I had to see what was up with Kelli's # 1. Removed the scope, rings, and scope rail. Interesting.. the scope rail was just ever so slightly bent upwards just ahead of where the rear scope ring attached, and the new offset ring made the rear of the scope even higher than before. I decided to lap the rear of the scope rail starting from just ahead of where it started its upward bend.. Worked it over with 400 grit wrapped around a 1 inch dowel and was able to get it to lay a lot better on the rifle.. next I lapped the rear offset ring and was able to get the scope level..

So today, we went back to the range to see if the problem was rectified.. Was able to adjust the vertical POI to where it should be.. after all the adjustment Kelli was ready to send a 3 shot group downrange to 100 yds.. Here is the result..
IMG_0009.JPG

She was able to replicate this 2 times.. all groups running 1 inch or less.. Sure helped her confidence, and my nerves... :lol: :lol:
Thanks for reading..
Take care
Ed

P.S. don't know why the pic is sideways, but I know it is a common issue..

Excellent. Yeah, mule deer will be in trouble when she focuses on one.

Good shooting and I'm glad you got it figured out.
Also if you click on the picture it opens to full screen and is positioned up right.

Glad it's coming together! You're getting some great velocity from the 257 Roberts & 115 Ballistic Tip. 3180 fps is zippy! :) I think you're going to like how that bullet works on deer sized game. I sure do!

I'd guess that's from the 1.4 gr over-max charge (according to Norma) and the 26" barrel often found on the Ruger Number One, B. Hey, if it's shooting well from your rifle, why not eh? I've used a couple of loads that were over book max, that performed well.

The group looks good. Glad you got that figured out before hunting season. I was shaking my head trying to figure out how in the heck you were getting impacts 16" high! That had to be a tad stressful. You solved it though. Cool.

Best of luck to ya this season. Looks like you've got a couple of good performers to take to the field.

Regards, Guy

Nice job. I too am battling the crunch for time. 4th rifle season, elk in Colorado. Developing loads.... Do you clean your rifle between strings and let it totally cool before starting again?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

"I'd guess that's from the 1.4 gr over-max charge (according to Norma) and the 26" barrel often found on the Ruger Number One, B. Hey, if it's shooting well from your rifle, why not eh? I've used a couple of loads that were over book max, that performed well. "

Guy. according to the QL data I have gotten from those here on the forum it should be around 60K PSI. The 26" barrel does the rest. 4 more than my Ruger M77.. I'm jealous.. :wink:

"Do you clean your rifle between strings and let it totally cool before starting again?"

I don't clean, but the rifles stay stood upright with the actions open in the shade.. they cool down nicely with not much time..

Take care
Ed

I plan on contacting Ruger and getting a new scope rail soon..

That will certainally get the job done, congratulations, and have a great hunt.

"the scope rail was just ever so slightly bent upwards just ahead of where the rear scope ring attached, and the new offset ring made the rear of the scope even higher than before."

That's a new one on me. Any idea how it got bent? Are you sure all your rings are "Ruger" Ruger ring mounts? Other manufacturer's mounts are not necessarily the same height as Ruger's btw. Glad you found the source of trouble but I would be pretty curious to find the root cause.

Sam, we have no idea how the scope rail got bent. We bought the rifle used, that's the chance you take with buying used.
The scope rings are all Ruger rings, we bought a standard set right after we got the rifle as we didn't get any with it. Then purchased the offset one for the rear to be able to move the scope back a little. Didn't gain a whole lot with the offset and the current scope, which is a Nikon Pro Staff 4-12 x 40 BDC, because the under side of the scope will still hit the ring. Maybe gained 3/16", but Kelli said that was a big improvement.
Take care
Ed

Understand. Those ribs generally don't come off easy from the factory. Glad you've got it sorted and she's got a shooter. Older style longish tube scopes and long oculars help on getting the eye relief set on #1s. I have a Bushnell 3200 3-9x50 with a rear offset on my 270Wby 1B and have adjustment to spare.

"I'd guess that's from the 1.4 gr over-max charge (according to Norma) and the 26" barrel often found on the Ruger Number One, B. Hey, if it's shooting well from your rifle, why not eh? I've used a couple of loads that were over book max, that performed well."

Certain cartridges have been underloaded and load data kept down because of the possibility of their use in older weak M93 and M95 Mausers. We all know about the underloaded 7x57 but the .257 Bob gets the downloaded treatment as well. :( Surprises the heck out of me that they didn't emasculate the 6MM Rem. which is also based on the 7x57 case.

I have a few Ruger #1's in various configurations and it's interesting that with the "B" models, the ones with the smaller bores all seen to be quite accurate. I'm talking .22 Hornet, 6MM Rem., .257 Bob and one two 25-06's I have one is a dog and the other a tackdriver. These are all in the "B" model. The "A" models I have a .243, .270 win. and 7x57 aren't all that great with the exception of the 7x57 which had to go back to Ruger for a new barrel. The throat on the old barrel was way out of SAAMI spec. The "V" model in .223 is good for .25" average day in and day out.

If you have the impression I like the Ruger #1,yes, I do. The only reason I don't hunt with them any more is the ranch where I hunt and the outfitter who runs the hunts will not allow the use of a single shot rifle. :( :x I've taken six elk off the place, all one shot kills and he still won't allow it. Oh well, their place their rules. :roll: They're great guns so good luck on the hunt. (y)
Paul B.

Paul,
That is so true.. and its to bad that some cartridges are loaded down so far. In a current production rifle its nice to have Quik Load as a resource so one can see just how much certain cartridges are under loaded. Model 93's and 95's were converted to many different calibers in the past including some high pressure ones, and if you read guys like Chuck Hawks, he will tell you, no sweat. I do have a Model 91 Mauser in 7.65 that I handload for and I do watch velocity and pressure for my loads, but I do believe that it is just as strong as the 93's and 95's, but does lack the safety lug and in the event of a case rupture has no venting to move it away from the shooter. We live in a time where the law department of any company or corporation has the final say so on products and services, don't want to be sued you know. I remember when the 270 Win 130gr factory loads were advertised at 3110.. now those same loads are advertised at 3060. As handloaders its nice to be able to get the potential out of these great cartridges.

Take Care
Ed

Back