180 AB in 300 WM

C.Smith

Handloader
Oct 11, 2006
So I gave up on the 210 grain ABLR and switched to the 180 AB instead. With 78.0 grains I shot a .658 inch group, classic looking triangle. I was working up and only worked up to the mid load of 79 grains, which according to Nosler was the most accurate (H1000) I guess just not my gun because it was the worst. In the past I had a 7mag that had two accurate loads, a lower power one and one at max. I'm wondering would you stick with the .6 inch group or try working up to max to see if there was one just as accurate or more?

Corey

Accuracy gets my vote every time. The slight velocity increase you may see will seldom make a difference to any game animal shot at 400 yards or less.

Thank you sir. I know you are a reloading guru, have you ever seen two accuracy nodes between the min and max of powders? I am certainly looking for the most accurate load as possible, I'm just wondering if I should continue testing to the max or let it be?

Corey

DrMike":2re6kmow said:
Accuracy gets my vote every time. The slight velocity increase you may see will seldom make a difference to any game animal shot at 400 yards or less.
I have to say I'm with DrMike on this one. The increase in velocity isn't worth what you already worked up.
Your load is going plenty fast the way it is, and is extremely accurate.
You'll see great rewards by using what you've already worked on.
Good luck on your hunting adventures. You're load is up to the task! Now go out and use it to get something spectacular!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

C.Smith":36b3chdm said:
Thank you sir. I know you are a reloading guru, have you ever seen two accuracy nodes between the min and max of powders? I am certainly looking for the most accurate load as possible, I'm just wondering if I should continue testing to the max or let it be?

Corey

Guru? :? I can hardly spell the word, let alone have any concept of what that means. I marvel at what I manage to learn from those posting on this forum.

I have witnessed two accuracy nodes within relatively proximate charge weights. I wouldn't say it is common or even expected, but it does happen. Still, if I witness reproducible accuracy with reasonable velocities, I am content.

C.Smith":38lmzl2p said:

Corey

During my load development on the .300 Win Mag, I found a node at 3,165 fps with the 180 AB pushed with RL-22. Shot under half an inch at 300 yards but RL-22 tends to have temp swings, but I plan to use it this deer season and see how it fares with temp swings when it gets cold.

Seems like 2950 -3000 fps is the slower node according to my chart.

TackDriver284,
I believe you're right. RL-22 won't be as temperamental in colder weather than it is in warmer weather.
I shoot a .300 WSM, and get decent velocities with a 180 gr bullet, using IMR 4350, and IMR 4831. When the temps get a little high here in S. Texas, those powders become temp sensitive as well. When it gets cooler, in the 60's and lower, they're spot on.

HAWKEYESATX":34zxct2e said:
TackDriver284,
I believe you're right. RL-22 won't be as temperamental in colder weather than it is in warmer weather.
I shoot a .300 WSM, and get decent velocities with a 180 gr bullet, using IMR 4350, and IMR 4831. When the temps get a little high here in S. Texas, those powders become temp sensitive as well. When it gets cooler, in the 60's and lower, they're spot on.

I am in South Texas as well. (y)

TackDriver284":xbzj4cgt said:
HAWKEYESATX":xbzj4cgt said:
TackDriver284,

I am in South Texas as well. (y)
Hey! That's Awesome!
I'm in San Antone.

300 win 180 nab 75g of 4831sc about 2960fps

Attachments

• IMG_2394.JPG
    IMG_2394.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,057
My go to load in the 300 Win Mag with a 180 gr bullet is 75.0 grs RL22. Shot well under MOA in 3 different rifles.

JD338

I did well with 300WM 180gn NAB using 68.3gn IMR 4350
a2480e6d2e9a8560718fde4c7d25bb3c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[emoji1] love the 300WM and NAB. Flattens our all kinds of critters!

mjcmichigan":1y0ftmzy said:
I did well with 300WM 180gn NAB using 68.3gn IMR 4350
a2480e6d2e9a8560718fde4c7d25bb3c.jpg

Yes, I'd say that load will work. Fine riflery!

On my Rem. 700 / 300 Win. Mag with a Nightforce ATACR,,,,Two shots at 300 yards with 180 AccuBond @ 3,165 fps with RL-22 / 74.4 gr. / FMGM 215 primer and let cool, second two shot group to confirm ( 2nd pic ). Looks like its all good.
mr0moko.jpg

MmQKNbZ.jpg

C.Smith":a8bvidtf said:
I'm wondering would you stick with the .6 inch group or try working up to max to see if there was one just as accurate or more?
Corey

Corey - a quality .30 caliber 180 gr bullet at around 3,000 fps, with a .6" group? (y)

If that's consistent, I'd only look for a faster or more accurate load if I was seriously bored.

The various .300 magnums deliver a powerful blow, and are known to have tremendous accuracy potential. I'd say yours is right up there. Your load can handle anything in North America, nicely.

Maybe this winter play around with some different loads if you so desire? But elk season is nearly upon us, deer season is here. I'd be out of the loading room and either on the rifle range practicing, or afield, trying to notch a tag.

Congrats on nice work at the loading bench. Not a thing wrong with a good 180 gr .30 cal bullet at about 3,000 fps, shooting .6" groups.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":3clvwjsj said:
C.Smith":3clvwjsj said:
I'm wondering would you stick with the .6 inch group or try working up to max to see if there was one just as accurate or more?
Corey

Corey - a quality .30 caliber 180 gr bullet at around 3,000 fps, with a .6" group? (y)

If that's consistent, I'd only look for a faster or more accurate load if I was seriously bored.

The various .300 magnums deliver a powerful blow, and are known to have tremendous accuracy potential. I'd say yours is right up there. Your load can handle anything in North America, nicely.

Maybe this winter play around with some different loads if you so desire? But elk season is nearly upon us, deer season is here. I'd be out of the loading room and either on the rifle range practicing, or afield, trying to notch a tag.

Congrats on nice work at the loading bench. Not a thing wrong with a good 180 gr .30 cal bullet at about 3,000 fps, shooting .6" groups.

Regards, Guy

Excellent advice. I doubt that anyone can improve on what is said here.

My only problem is that nice group is on going 2800 fps, and just barely that. I suppose that is not a huge problem I suppose thought it strange when I can push a 210 ABLR out of the same rifle to the same felocity only loading 77.0 grains of H1000. But not sure why that is. I have not been able to really duplicate that load. Shot 6 more rounds of it earlier this week and no where near as tight of a group. Could be the rifle to, I've only got just over 40 rounds through it just finished breaking it in.

Corey

Back