243 buller choice

Al in SC

Beginner
Sep 28, 2010
Anyone use a 105 grain A max bullet in a 1:10 twist 243 rifle to hunt white tailed deer? Does it stabilize it? The bullet box label says for a 1:9 twist. ????

Someone on here was using them and I am sure they will post an answer soon. But don't get stuck thinking that you need to use the heaviest bullet you can find. I think a tougher bullet is more important than the weight. To me... and I know plenty will disagree....the .24 caliber rifles are on the very bottom of the deer rifle spectrum. They can kill them but often you have a long tracking job ahead of you and sometimes not much of a blood trail to follow. Where I hunt, I need to put them down pretty close to where they stand or they jump a deep ditch and cross to the neighbors property. My bullet of choice for my 6mm is Hornady gmx. Straight shoulder shots drop them in their tracks and if they do move you have a nice blood trail to follow because the bullet never fails to exit. I lose a little meat, but that's better than the entire deer. I have never tried out nosler e-tips or Barnes bullets but I wouldn't expect them to perform any different. So, I guess my point is....if you are asking because you want the weight for killing power look into something that will hold together to really make the .24's shine.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I will respectfully offer another point of view. Lots of guys have proven the Amax to be deadly. I recently used a 105gr hpbt on an antelope hunt and yes that bullet is frangible. That type if bullet also drops animals on the spot frequently when placed in the vitals BEHIND the shoulder. That is key. I have used copper bullets too and they are great, just a different style.

I have hunted with a .243 Winchester for years. The dozen or so deer and antelope I've shot, have dropped on the spot, or maybe walked 10-20 ft after being hit.
I have used the 100 gr bullets exclusively, and they never fail to enter and exit. Now, if you use a premium bullet, lets say a Nosler 100 gr ballistic tip, or 100 gr AB, you won't have to worry about being able to track the animal.
Also, I wouldn't hesitate to use a 95 gr premium bullet on game either.
The iffiness that might come from using a .243 might come from people using to light of a bullet for the intended purpose, or someone shooting too far out of it's effective range. Keep the shots to maximum of 350 yds, and you'll be a happy camper.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

When I first started using my 6mm I started loading 100 gr. Hornady interlocks and I killed my share with them. Some did drop where they stood but I had too many that required crawling around looking for any tiny drop of blood. Now days the kids I take use the 6mm and what really made me look for a tougher bullet was the fear that one of the kids might lose a deer. I know how bad it sucks to lose one and I don't want them to go through it because I chose a bullet I didn't have confidence in. Another reason I went with a tougher bullet is because if they, even with me whispering in their ear, make a bad shot that tougher bullet is more likely to push on through and at least leave us a nice blood trail to follow.
I completely agree, the bullet expelling all of its energy within the animal is a good thing, but deer can do surprising things even when dead on their feet and without an exit hole (presumably lower than entrance) it might take a while for the chest to fill up and leak out.
I don't fault anyone for using sensible bullets designed for the animal they are hunting. I just worry about the unforeseen instances that turns a deer killer into a deer crippler.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

bdbrown66":x9nq6k2s said:
Load up some 95gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and be done with it. They will get the job done.

My favorite 6mm bullet. Accurate. Lethal. Expands well, but also penetrates quite nicely.

Guy

Thanks a ton for all the input. Loading for my grand daughter.
I am a real fan of the 260 myself. I happen to have the 243
so I decided to load it up for her.

Guy Miner":lhxgx20j said:
bdbrown66":lhxgx20j said:
Load up some 95gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and be done with it. They will get the job done.

My favorite 6mm bullet. Accurate. Lethal. Expands well, but also penetrates quite nicely.

Guy
[emoji115] What he said!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Back