.308 Rem 700 loads for 150 Partitions

magothy1

Beginner
Mar 3, 2012
Just bought what I hope is the ugliest rifle I'll ever own, but it fills a slot. Rem 700 SPS, 20" bull barrel, sure enough ugly synthetic stock. Whew. Need something to carry in the truck and on a tractor when working, seem to have pigs moving in.

Wanting to load Partitions, have IMR 4064, Varget, Accurate 2520, H322. Which to start ? I see Varget mentioned quite often. Also, what OAL for this rifle for Partitions ? It shoots FGMM ok, tried it today, and a Hornady 165 Interlock over Varget. I have those and 150 gr Partitions on hand. I'm guessing the 165 Hornady and FGMM have a longer jump to lands that what the Partition wants ? Seems I've been told the Partitions like to be close. I can work on finding what length is touching the lands tomorrow.

Thanks.
Steve

I would use Varget first and IMR4064 second. Just use a OAL gauge and measure your chamber OAL to lands and seat .020" off to start. Once you get a nice load, vary seating depth to tighten groups. My .308 likes most bullets close to the lands under .010" But each rifle is different.

Back