7-08 with H414- Mag primer?

rmarshall

Handloader
Mar 10, 2010
Ok guys, I have a 7-08 that shot pretty well with H414 and CCI large rifle primer, but over the years I've heard and read to try mag primers with spherical powders like 414, Do you think it will help any or make no difference? I tried it in my 270 and R19, not a ball powder, but the results were awesome. 1/2 inch groups achieved!!. thanks for your advice

Maximum chamber pressure will be elevated; it may or may not improve accuracy. Only one way to tell.

I agree with dr. Mike that you might get a little bump and pressure but if you're not operating near max I don't think it'll be a problem at all. If I was you I would run a little experiment over the chronograph with both primers in temperatures that are like what you would be hunting in and see which is more consistent on Velocity and accuracy.

I Use win mag(and even Fed215) primers with 760/414 in my 7-08 with max loads for Barnes/Nosler and Swift bullets without any problems. This is using win/rem and hornady brass.
The truth is I use it with all powders and have not seen any troubles. I have used reg primers with stick powders but got as good or better accuracy with the mag primers.

Back