Something's weird here

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
my friend wanted to check zero on his .270, so I took him to the range and got this weird grouping thing..fire two shots, let barrel cool completely, fire two shots,....repeat...Well ended up with each 2 shots in succession would touch, then the following two shots would touch again but be in a different spot..Same thing over the course of 6 shots...I'm leaning toward a scope malfunction, although I've never seen one so consistently inconsistent...Tried core loks and fusions same result..I got behind it and check the parallax by nodding my head a little and it stayed true and it did the same thing when I shot it..Mounts are tight and the action screws are snug..The rifle is a 4 year old Rem 700 just as it was out of the box and a Nikon scope..When we checked it last fall it didn't do this. My best guess is recoil is moving the reticle in pretty consistent increments.

Attachments

• 20171019_191335.jpg
    20171019_191335.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 563
I'm thinking scope issue as well. The rifle obviously wants to shoot well by the placement of each 2 shots.

Are your scope rings tight and or is the stock binding the barrel anywhere, like a pressure point?

Don

DON":2v75e27d said:
Are your scope rings tight and or is the stock binding the barrel anywhere, like a pressure point?

Don

Rings are tight and the barrel passed the dollar bill test..Not my rifle and didn't break it down at the range....

I like Don's suggestion of pressure point's. Placing stock on rest and not barrel. Check to make sure all rings are tight as well as base. The consistant 2 shot group's is what is perplexing. A scope issue would cause each shot to be off. Rest assured, the Nikon scope is covered by a lifetime warranty just in case the owner decides to send it in to be checked.

bman940":3l5r1gpv said:
I like Don's suggestion of pressure point's. Placing stock on rest and not barrel. Check to make sure all rings are tight as well as base. The consistent 2 shot group's is what is perplexing. A scope issue would cause each shot to be off. Rest assured, the Nikon scope is covered by a lifetime warranty just in case the owner decides to send it in to be checked.

Yep, shooting off front and rear bags.(under the butt and a few inches behind the front sling mount.
The barrel was free to do its thing)..I have another scope I'm going to loan him to try out and see if that helps...I agree, I've seen a couple scopes go bad, but they usually produce a random pattern of shots. I'm pretty sure it's a Nikon Monarch. Probably took a tumble since last fall.

Was the rifle in the shooting bags in the same position for each group?

JD338

Whatever it is, he says swapping out to the Redfield I let him borrow worked..I couldn't go with him, but he says he's getting nice tight groups again..He's been on the phone with Nikon and seems like they will make it right again. Guess they will let him know after they look at it...But they indicated it COULD be something in the parallax adjusting knob.

Back