Nosler Brass

bangskeet

Beginner
Oct 7, 2017
Any have issues with primer pockets? It seems like 2-3 loads and my primer pockets become loose in 30-06. I really have no pressure signs and these were 56-56.5gr of IMR 4350 with a 168gr bullet.

Yes, I have had issues with Nosler Brass. I won’t use it anymore, virgin brass was cut too shallow and I couldn’t even put a primer in flush with the case head and same thing as you described, primer pockets loose after a couple firings. My advice, go to a different brand of brass because Nosler won’t do anything about their junk.

I've had mixed results with Nosler brass. Some has been excellent, giving good life (.280 Rem, .30-06) and some has been terribly disappointing (.260 Rem--shallow primer pockets and other proving exceptionally soft in the primer pocket). I likely won't purchase more, as there are other, more reliable brass products available. They may, in time, address the deficits, however.

I bought two boxes of 30-06 and had the same results. I can push the primers in with my fingers after a couple of loads.

Remington/Winchester brass has treated me fine, just more prep work. I haven't tried Lapua or Norma.

Lapua and Norma brass have always proven to be top tier for me. If possible, these are my "go to" brass, with possibly RWS if it is available.

Much better brass out there for way less. Yes prep time may increase but so will brass life. Nosler brass is the reason I won't own a Nosler cartridge, unless someone else steps up to make brass.

Yes, tried some in 270 Win and 300 Win and wasn’t impressed. Liking Hornady brass more these days.

DrMike":1z48js4j said:
Lapua and Norma brass have always proven to be top tier for me. If possible, these are my "go to" brass, with possibly RWS if it is available.

I use to use nothing but Remington brass until it became impossible to find. Instead of jumping around trying different brass I decided to pay a little extra and purchase some Lapua for my daughters .260. The Lapua has proven to be top quality brass and has worked great for me, very tight specs and consistent. Next was the 25.06 and I did the same thing, decided to pay a little extra and give Norma a try. It too has been top quality brass and has worked great for me. It will be some time before I need more brass but when I do no doubt it will be Norma and Lapua. Mike

I've been using:
Lapua in my 6.5x284 Norma
Norma and Nosler in my 300 WSMs
Nosler in my 243W

When I buy Nosler 2nds I run thru the dies and square up the mouth - often time I see "chatter" marks. Other then that I've been happy with the Nosler Brass but they are 2nds so I don't expect perfect brass.

I'm going to watch the Primer pockets now much closer. I have thrown away brass from HOT loads because of the pocket but when I backed down they were OK.

I've found Fed.210 primers did not want to seat in Nosler 30-06 brass and use WLR primers with no problems. If you don't like to prep your brass Nosler may be for you. Winchester 30-06 brass is good after you prep it but is ruff out of the bag. Federal brass is a bit thicker in the neck. I get the same accuracy and life out of all three.
Billy

Is Norma still manufacturing 100% of the Nosler-branded brass, or has Nosler brought some of the Silver State capacity online to make & label their own?

I’ve thought before that Nosler brass is a little soft in the head, always remembering that it’s nearly always lower-capacity than the alternatives I used in the same chambering , and so I have to back off on the powder charges to stay at the same pressure. However, the Lapua I use in my 6.5-284 behaves the same way, so now I’m less certain what to think. It might be that Norma contract-manufactures all the Lapua-branded 6.5-284 brass, too, and so my comparisons are all actually Norma brass under the skin(??). It’s tough to tell.

I switched to Nosler 338RUM brass when the Rem brass vanished. The cost of the Nosler brass was more than double but I was just happy to find brass. I found the Nosler brass to be of good quality and produced tighter groups in the RUM. Currently on the 4th reload. Primer pockets are still tight.

Hey Nosler - Could you make some 7 WSM brass - pleezzzee. You'll have virtually no competition. :>)
Oh - and while you're at it, I'm still waiting on a 400+ gr Partition for my 45-70.

Charlie-NY":114l6imb said:
I switched to Nosler 338RUM brass when the Rem brass vanished. The cost of the Nosler brass was more than double but I was just happy to find brass. Ultimately, I found the Nosler brass to be of good quality. Currently on the 4th reload. Primer pockets are still tight.

Hey Nosler - Could you make some 7 WSM brass - pleezzzee. You'll have virtually no competition. :>)
Oh - and while you're at it, I still waiting on a 400+ gr Partition for my 45-70.

I think Hornady is going to make some 7 WSM brass. I’ve found their stuff to be pretty decent recently.

If I told you how much I paid for some new Win brass you'd think I was crazy. It's hard to believe that virtually no one makes (sells as a component) 7 WSM brass. Norma & Hornady have a list of obscure cartridges that they make brass for but the 7 WSM seems to be the most orphaned cartridge going.
I'll blame this one on Winchester for not supporting there cartridge. They must be taking lessens from Remington.

mz5---I found that Nosler brass had more NOT less capacity and thus gave me lower fps with the same everything else in 338win mag, 257W mag and 264win mag.
Hornady had the least capacity and gave the highest fps.
Win, Federial and Rem where in the middle

Well this is the first year in the past week using Nosler 280 AI Brass, that said the stuff I have on hand was bought years and years ago. I'll have to go look at the receipt, but I bought them when they first came out. Hopefully I get a lot more use out of them vs. the Remington stuff I've used over the last 20 years.

I have two firings already on 25 pieces that were fairly stiff loads, and so far the primer pockets are still the same as new. I will resize these and anneal them first next go around, if they don't last I may just go buy the 280 RWS brass and have them Fire Formed for me.

Back