6.5mm 100 gr Ballistic Tip ?

gldprimr

Beginner
Mar 12, 2006
Hi,

I’ve been on the forum for years. I’m a person who has had great success with Nosler bullets in particular Ballistic Tips on white tailed deer here in Mississippi.

I’ve got a new rifle CZ527 in 6.5 Grendel and want to use it with 100 gr. Ballistic Tips for deer hunting this fall. I haven’t used a bullet this light in over 40 years though I know the Ballistic Tip is a better deer bullet than those I used at the time.

Does anyone have direct experience with this bullet at ~ 2700 - 2800 fps muzzle velocity on deer?
Most of my shots are close, less than 100 yards more typically 40-80 yards.

I want to use this cartridge and bullet weight to minimize recoil as I have a shoulder injury that makes recoil with my other rifles painful.

Comments from those with direct experience using this bullet appreciated.

Thanks

100 GR BT out of my 250 savage has a MV around 2800 fps. No "deer" experience but Several antelope between 100 and 260 yards. The furthest shot broke the near side fore leg and punched a hole through both lungs and stopped the antelope. He just tipped over and expired. I don't need another bullet. Im in the same boat- multiple tears and over use in both shoulders, hence the 250 savage. If I make the shot I have every confidence in a BT. My .02 CL

fwood":70920ldh said:
260 rem 100g BT

fwood, that is a beautiful deer your daughter tagged. Love to see that such fine bucks are still moving around.

One buck at 40 yards out of 6.5x55.
In behind left shoulder and found up
against the right shoulder.
Middle of the road load so maybe near 2700 fps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used the 100 gr. BT with three starting loads of IMR4895 H4350 H4895 all grouped an inch or less in my Win. Mod. 70 6.5x55 My 10 yr. old grandson used it last year to take 2yr old doe at about 40 yds made a big hole but punched all the way thru and he never complained about recoil at the range or while hunting. I think it will serve you well. Dan.

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. I unfortunately did not get a chance to field test the 100 gr Ballistic Tip out of my Grendel last season though I was ready and planning to do so deer did not cooperate.

fwood I have to echo the comment about the fine buck your daughter took.

Again, thanks to all for replying.

I have just gotten into the 6.5 Grendel in ARs in the past few months and will be doing my deer hunting with them this coming year just to change up things and if nothing else PO the liberals. I have found a number of loads that I am sure will work for deer. According the THE Grendel load book I got through the 6.5grendel.com website the 100 BT is one of the suggested bullets for average southern white tail deer. They also highly recommend the 100 Partition. Right now I intend to use the 120 Sierra Pro Hunter in my 18" Oden Works barrel rifle and Speer 120 Gold Dot in my 20" Bear Creek Arsenal barrel ARs. Both rounds are running around 2550 fps. By the way there is one fellow on the Grendel site that is using the Speer 90 gr TNT at 2800 fps and it is doing one heck of a job on feral hogs. This my give you even less recoil but in my ARs I really can't tell any difference between them and a 223.

I would think that the 100 NBT would be about perfect for that little CZ. I used a 527/.221 Fireball and the old 50gr XLC on an 80 pound shoat one time. It made a 50 cal hole all the way through the shoulders. A Grendal just "has to be" more better, ha. I would have to try the lightest weight mono available too, just for grins. :)

Sorry, the lightest 6.5 BT I have used is the 120 grainer in the 6.5x55. It shot sub-moa, but I do not recall the suggested velocity at this time. Never did get to try it on game, as I used the 140's on moose, deer, elk and caribou.

As suggested by cloverleaf, performance should be similar to a 100 grainer in the 250 Savage; and that is devastating on coyotes! Sorry, have not used it on a deer yet. Perhaps this fall?

Back