reduced loads for a 243??

Al in SC

Beginner
Sep 28, 2010
Hodgdon recommends taking max loads for H4895 powder and multiplying by 0.6 to get the minimum amout of powder that can be safely used to develope a reduced powder load. If anyone has tried this what was your expeience with it?

I am interested in developing a recuded load in a 243 for my grand daughter
to start with. Any suggestions, experiences or comments appreciated. Al

Helped a friend do this for his grand kids last year. H4895 is what you want and don't go below 60% of max published load.

Google Winchester Youth loads and you ll see Hodgdons recommended 243 load. That's what we used and it pushed an 80 grain blitz boattail at 2550 fps, per Sierras recommendation and it worked great. Shot sub moa at 100 yds. FYI, Nosler recommended an 85 gr Partition which would also be super... we just found the Sierras first.

Good luck!

This is the mildest load I have seen...I wouldn't use it on big game though. Varmints at close range, sure...targets, all day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171030-211802.png
    Screenshot_20171030-211802.png
    220.5 KB · Views: 2,542
I loaded up a light 55gr ballistic tip and had a child shoot targets, milk jugs, a metal plate at 200yrd and woodchucks to build confidence and learn fundamentals. Then loaded 90gr ballistic tips for deer and he never knew the difference when it came time to shoot a deer.

Al...are you just wanting to target shoot and exterminate varmints or are you thinking deer hunting with this load?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tried Trail Boss in a .243 with 55 grain ballistic tips. I got better accuracy and pretty similar velocity at 12?(maybe 12.5) grains than 15 grains. I wouldn't go below 10 grains with Trail Boss. I've heard it can have issues when loaded at too low of a case fill.

I also tried 29 grains of H4198 behind an 87 grain Hornady. That's probably the lightest load I would want to use on a deer. It functioned fine, but wasn't very accurate in my particular rifle. I can't remember the velocity, but I remember thinking that it would be enough to kill a deer. If I had to guess, I'd say it was between 2500-3000 fps. I might have it written down somewhere.

Next, I tried 36 grains of H4895, Varget, and RL15 behind those same 87 grain Hornady bthp's. Basically starting loads from manuals. Again, accuracy wasn't the best. It was a step up from the 4198 load, but still mild. I know I've got velocity written down for these somewhere. I'm thinking it was in the 2800-3000 range. Definitely a deer-killer.

I never did finalize any loads except Trail Boss and the 55's, which was basically a 22 WMR level plinking load. An 80-90 grain bullet approaching 3K fps with any of the other powders would definitely be an acceptable deer or hog load at most ranges any of us shoot at, and I'd be surprised if you couldn't get something close to 1.5 MOA- which is also fine accuracy at most ranges people shoot deer.

Related to my post but not to the original question, something around 20 grains of H4198 under a 40 grain V-Max was surprisingly accurate, mild to shoot, and potent at the muzzle from my .223 Howa Mini. Fun powder to play with...

My goal is considerable target practice with this loasd and depending on the outcome of that moving up toward standard loads or trying this load on deer at reasonable ranges for the load.

Al, that reduced load with H4895 is recommended by Hodgdon/Winchester as a low recoil, game worthy deer or smaller game load. Give it at least a try, accuracy was impressive and sighted a couple inches high at 100 it still keeps quite flat to 200 yds. The recommended bullet was 80 gr SSP (single shot pistol) Hornady and its been out of production for some time thus our request to Sierra. Two antelope harvested last year at 80 and 210 yards with complete pass through s. I d personally be confident on a deer to 200 or less yards; preferably to 100 or less. Shooter just needs to do their job.

They are loaded and waiting for the range day. Used some old 85 grain speer bullets i had.
My tighest groups were many years back with these bullets & 30 grains of IMR 3031 in a 6 mm Rem.
Thanks for all the input.

Al, we’ve used the 80 BT, 85 Partitions and 90 AB with 30’ish grains of H4895. All of them are running around 2450-2500 and they’ve done great for us. We aren’t shooting far and recoil is nothing. I love those reduced loads for kids. They work and keep the kids wanting to shoot.

Really appreciate the info fellas. Haven't got to the range yet. Will post results.

Frank, I used 62% of hodgdon max recommended load of 4895 & some of my old
85 grain speer bullets. My grand daughter is a small gal so these should be great.

I m hoping it all comes together wonderfully Al. I think you ll be pleasantly surprised.
Good Luck

Back