500 S&W

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Today I loaded some 500's. Hadn't done that in a while.

Bought my revolver, sight unseen, in the first year of production, 2003.

I walked into a favorite local gun shop, a glossy firearms magazine in hand, I pointed to the cover, looked at the shop owner and said "Please get me one..." He laughed so hard! Confirmed that I was serious, and ordered it. MONTHS later it arrived, and by then I'd bought one hundred Starline cases for it, 200 Cast Performance 440 grain bullets and a box of very expensive 350 gr Hornady jacketed hollow point ammo.

Got a call from the shop owner that the big revolver was in! I happened to have a day off, and went right down to his shop. He left the shop in the hands of an employee, and we headed to the range! What a hoot. :)

Since then, I have only used the 500 as a range toy. I'll go through 20 - 100 rounds a year, usually closer to 20. I've let a few friends shoot it. Some did well, some had to be rescued. I like shooting it. It's powerful yes, but very well designed. It's heavy, which is good. It's got a muzzle brake/port to reduce recoil. The cushioned grips are terrific. All in all, it shoots a lot easier than I'd expected.

My handload hasn't changed in the 13 years I've had the beast:
28.2 grains of AA#9 (today the powder measure was throwing 28.3 grains. Close enough.)
440 grain Cast Performance bullet

For about 1400 fps.

It loads like any other straight-case revolver round. I use Hornady dies, and liberally lube the cases with sizing wax. I make sure there's a good roll crimp as well.
PdJ49xyl.jpg

Here's a 250 gr cast 44 bullet next to the 440 grain 500 bullet:
gOXfs92l.jpg

The Beast:
0aA52gFl.jpg

I've never hunted with it. Generally I hunt open areas where a rifle is a much better option than a revolver. An African PH I know tried a few shots with my 500 and declared it a perfect gun for popping warthogs at a waterhole! That sounded fun to me and perhaps I'll try it someday. I think it would be great for bear over bait, at modest range, or bears treed by dogs.

One of these days I'll give it a try on a hunt. Meanwhile, it's a wonderful range toy, and I let a few friends try it out every now and again.

I think Fotis has loaded 700 grain bullets for his 500 S&W! :shock: Crazy Greeks... Must be a lot of Spartan in our favorite Greek! :grin:

Guy

Yup 700 grain at 1230 fps with 28 gr of lilgun

Dang, you guys hunting Godzilla? Those 50 cal bullets are a beast. The biggest magnum revolver I have fired is the 44 Magnum plus my 41 Magnum. I have never shot a 500 Mag, and if were to try one, I'll make sure to wear a helmet. :mrgreen:

I bet that canon will clear out an indoor range so fast, lol.

FOTIS":re0ug4ea said:
It is not that bad actually

700 grains,,,,oh my. I can remember shooting my Browning 10 gauge with 766 grain rifled slugs, nearly detached my retina, lol.

I was going to ask Guy this question about the 440 grainer, instead I’ll ask Fotis...does that thing stop after it hits something? Wow.
I’ve shot a 44mag a bunch and loved it. A buddy I elk hunt with as a 460 and he offered to let me and another buddy in camp shoot it. The other guy went first. He pulled the trigger and hit the ground about 10 feet in front of us (the target was 30 yards away), wrestled the cannon back down from the sky and said once was enough. I laughed and declined to shoot it. I’m a whimp, not afraid to admit it.

Ridley75 - that danged 440 grain hard cast bullet penetrates like crazy. Several years ago, my buddy and I were shooting it on his property. He had some stumps and logs from trees he'd cut. The 440's were blasting right through a couple of feet of pine!

It really is an accurate revolver. I think I'll take it up to the range this rainy afternoon, and put a few rounds through it. Not sure I've even shot it this year!

Guy

Guy Miner":fs9fv2qe said:
I've never hunted with it. Generally I hunt open areas where a rifle is a much better option than a revolver. An African PH I know tried a few shots with my 500 and declared it a perfect gun for popping warthogs at a waterhole! That sounded fun to me and perhaps I'll try it someday. I think it would be great for bear over bait, at modest range, or bears treed by dogs.

One of these days I'll give it a try on a hunt.
Guy

Guy,

Owing that thing is like having a challenge laid at your feet. I would make it a goal to hunt something with it. I should think it would be something like archery or cross bow hunting.

Dan

NYDAN":2b3opwr4 said:
Guy,

Owing that thing is like having a challenge laid at your feet. I would make it a goal to hunt something with it. I should think it would be something like archery or cross bow hunting.

Dan

Except a lot noisier... :mrgreen:

I have taken mule deer with my .44 revolver, just a doe. It was fun, and effective.

The 500 seems to be better matched with something larger & stronger... elk, bear, something like that... Dinosaurs or mastadons perhaps?

Had it out at the range with me on Nov 10th:
O1RQaPtl.jpg

Guy

Guy

Never shot the big 500 S&W but I sure would like to some day. Mount a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x32mm Hand Gun scope on that hand Cannon and hunt deer and bear.

JD338

Most of the guys around here that have one don't shoot them, they just ask you what you are shooting and then puff out their chests proudly telling you about the 500 S&W they own. They may even go back to their vehicle and display it for all to see, but shoot it no.
That is all but one guy who had a 500 S&W in a Taurus, he cast 700 grain bullets and pushed the hell out of them, Taurus rebuilt it 3 times in a couple years, they told him it wasn't meant to be shot that much, as most don't.
Nice Revolver Guy, you should try and get a chance to use it on a hunt.

JD 338 - am wondering if a fixed-power scope might be more durable on the 500 revolver? I sure don't need a lot of magnification for the hunting I'd likely do with it.

bowfishn - ya - I don't pretend that it's a high volume handgun for me. I probably shoot more .45 ACP every week, than I have 500's in the 14 years I've owned the big beast.

Realized I don't have a single photo of me shooting it! I'll have to correct that.

Guy

Guy,

As I rethink your comments, you may be right.
Again, I have not shot a 500 S&W so I don't know first hand. A straight up 4x would definitely be a great choice.
I have a Leupold FX II 4x28mm on my 629 Classic 44 Rem Mag for hunting WT deer in the back 40. It is clear and bright in low light conditions when the deer are on the move.

JD338

Guy Miner , the guy who kept wearing out his Taurus has got rid of it and is mostly shooting M-1 Garands and high power pellet guns. He told me he was having problems with his wrist from shooting the 500 S&W so much.
The Smith should tame the beast pretty good with the extra weight of the revolver and the porting. I never shot one but I would imagine more of a big push vs a hard impact to the hand.

A few years back maybe 13 years, I had a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casual, I shot cast 305 grain cast FNGC bullets from it at 1650 fps. Because of my over sized middle finger that pushed against the trigger guard, when I shot it it would black and blue the center of my middle finger. It would usually take 5 to 6 shots before it numbed my finger joint enough to be comfortable to shoot.
Now I have a 44 mag and shoot 300 gr cast HPGC bullets from it at 1550 fps with 25.5 gr H110, Starline brass, (seated to the bottom crimp almost level with the cylinder, I use a Redding profile crimper) and Mag primers. The 100 fps drop in velocity does not hammer my middle finger and the load is still good to 200 yards at which point it drops to subsonic. I use a Burris 2-7 var. Pistol scope on it with Ballistic Plex reticle and posi lok. (it is the same type of scope I used on the 454, had about 500 rounds through it without problems) the 7 power is almost useless on it because of how close you have to pull it in for eye relief but it works great up to 5 power. It has 21' fov at 100 on 2 power, very clear.

Back