Which 6mm to build?

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I have a Remington 700 in 6 mm BR that I owned for the last 20 years and seeking to have a new barrel built for it plus a McMillian A5 stock and Jewell trigger. There are new calibers in 6 mm like the 6 x 47, 6 Creedmoor, etc. It will be a target rifle mostly. Which caliber would you recommend that is more accurate and longer reaching range possibly 1,000 yards? I see that the BR is a lot smaller than the 6x47 and Creedmoor and won't have the ability to reach out and touch them. I like to use Lapua brass and what twist do you recommend? Seeking some input from you gun fanatics. Thanks

I have a 6 BR myself, if I were to start again I think I would go with the 6 Creed. Both the 6 Creed and 6x47 are great rounds, but I would give the Creed a nod just because of the large rifle primer for potential hunting in cold weather. But for a pure target round the small primer pockets in the 47 case are probably an advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, and 8 twist or faster. For 105s I think you need the 8. If you want 115s maybe even a 7 twist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with a standard 6BR. Work great for varmints and throated for 105-108 Bullets they do great at 1,000. Take a look at the 6BRA tho

Ok we’ll you like the advantage of the round to go way out there, easy build I think you’ like the 6mm-284. Just take a 6.5x284 case and neck it down and you’re done! Easy Peasie.

Which BTW was also used to make the .223 Valkyrie back in 1995.

longrangehunter":32lkvszq said:
Ok we’ll you like the advantage of the round to go way out there, easy build I think you’ like the 6mm-284. Just take a 6.5x284 case and neck it down and you’re done! Easy Peasie.

Which BTW was also used to make the .223 Valkyrie back in 1995.

I have a 6.5-284, but the 6-284 would be a barrel burner like the 6.5-284, I like barrels to last a little longer. Barrel life on the 6.5-284 is about 1,000 rounds or so, depending how hot the loads are. It's why I shoot the slower node on it. I love your idea though.
What about a .243 or .243 AI?

300WinMag; I was thinking about that standard 6BR like what I have now, but will it reach 1,000 yards if I were to use the ultra high BC bullets like the 115 DTACS, the case is so small and will it have enough energy to push those heavies? It may require a twist of 7-1 I think to stabilize, but for the 100-105 Bergers, a 8 Twist should do I believe.

A 6 Dasher or 6BRA would be my choice if I wanted the most accuracy and least finicky round. There have been plenty of records set at 600 and 1000yds with a 6BR and it's offspring. Run a 7.5 twist so you can shoot up to the 110 SMK's and 115 DTAC. If you want considerably more speed a 243AI is a good choice. My 30" barrel 243AI shoots 105's 3350fps but it also burns 51grs of powder. The Dasher and BRA only burn about 2/3 that much.

IdahoCTD":3uxo2tgp said:
A 6 Dasher or 6BRA would be my choice if I wanted the most accuracy and least finicky round. There have been plenty of records set at 600 and 1000yds with a 6BR and it's offspring. Run a 7.5 twist so you can shoot up to the 110 SMK's and 115 DTAC. If you want considerably more speed a 243AI is a good choice. My 30" barrel 243AI shoots 105's 3350fps but it also burns 51grs of powder. The Dasher and BRA only burn about 2/3 that much.
I was reading up on the BR Ackley earlier, its pretty interesting, I just never fireformed a round before. Do you use a low charge to fireform it to blow it to chamber dimension? I read that they use wax and pistol powder to do this, or use rifle powder and a bullet but seems you wear out barrels doing that. I like your expertise on that since you have a 243AI. (y)

How about a 6mm Remington or 6mm AI? The 6mm Remington is a well balanced cartridge that provides great accuracy from my experience and if you want just touch more oomph the 6mm AI would provide that.

6mm Remington":wxfmmajv said:
How about a 6mm Remington or 6mm AI? The 6mm Remington is a well balanced cartridge that provides great accuracy from my experience and if you want just touch more oomph the 6mm AI would provide that.

6mm Remington is a nice and fast round, but I don't like Remington, Federal or Winchester brass, too much case prep needed. I just like to use Norma or Lapua brass. Nosler brass is no longer my choice of brass.

TackDriver284":1ggxtl73 said:
6mm Remington":1ggxtl73 said:

6mm Remington is a nice and fast round, but I don't like Remington, Federal or Winchester brass, too much case prep needed. I just like to use Norma or Lapua brass. Nosler brass is no longer my choice of brass.
I get that. I know Hornady is making more brass now and that includes the 6mm Remington. Anyone have any reports on its quality?

I'd stick to something easy then, like the 6mm Dasher, a 6x47, 6mm Creedmoor, or a 6XC maybe? The Fireforming process will be reduced while finding a tune/load.

The Dasher or the Creed. Although I believe the Creed would give you a little more go than the Dasher with the heavies.
Agree with what Nathan said, The 110 Sierras or 115 DTAC.
Benefit of the Creed is no FF. If you don't mind a little neck turning and maybe boring out a small doughnut if needed, you could probably neck down some Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor and have terrific brass.
If you don't mind FF then Dasher or one of the AIs like the 243.

I had build 6BR,6x284 and 6.5x284 all three had 1/8 twist barrel. I also had 6Rem and 6RemAI build but with 1/10 twist barrel, both I used shooting coyotes and 6RemAI I used antelope tag. My Br days I also shot shorten 6br case.

I now shoot 243AI (Lapua brass) with 27" Hart barrel 1/10 and 243 with Kreiger 1/10 twist @ 24". I also shoot 22BR.

I traded 6.5x284 Norma for 284 build long action and with 27" barrel I'll do little target besides hunting.

http://www.bullets.com/products/6mm-Das ... 00/BL11293

Reason I post those match result gives change to see what's being shot 1000yd group match.

For me I've always like BR case and if I was looking at something 1000yd 6mm, I do the Dasher.

Back