45/70 help

adm1977

Beginner
Feb 16, 2013
My son got his 45/70 this past week and I need some help loading for it. I set the dies up as the instructions said (rcbs) and when I went to seat the bullets I crushed the cases. I figured I didn't have enough of the case mouth expanded, so I went back and re-expanded the case mouths again. I did 6 cases the went to seat the bullets and they went about half way into the case with finger pressure. I went ahead and finished those cases and realized one had a bulge below the base of the bullet. I went ahead and pulled that one as I figured it wouldn't be safe to shoot. The other ones I left. Not sure if I should use them to sight in or pull them and resize and start over. Also wondering about Lee factory crimp dies? Are they worth the extra step or should I just crimp with the factory seater die. Also for what its worth I am loading 45 grains of Hodgdon 4198 over a 300 grain Hornady. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I have never really loaded for a straight wall rifle case so it was an entirely new experience for me.

Yes, in my opinion, the Lee factory crimp die is very much worth the extra step (and minor expense). They are much easier to set up and much easier to control than the RCBS seating die. Just leave your RCBS seating die high enough so that it doesn't contact the case mouth with the crimp part of the die. I only expand the mouth enough to start the bullet.

Good luck with your reloading. Dan

Though I have never reloaded the 45-70 I would suspect it is similar to any straight wall case and your either seating the bullet off center or the sizing die is under sizing the case making it look like it's bulged. Pictures would help to analyze the problem.

Sounds to me like you need to fine tune the expander button depth. My dies are RCBS #20904 Start at the top and screw it down in 1/4 turn increments. My brass is Starline. 4198 is a great powder for the 45-70. I use the Lee Factory crimp die.

Reloader 7 @ 51.8
350 gr Hornady
WW Brass
WLR primer
Crimp with Lee Factory Crimp Die
Marlin 1895 load
2000 FPS in Guide Gun

Make sure you trim to length
And just flare about 1/8" of case

Could be expander, but I doubt it. I also don't think it needs to be belled for a jacketed bullet (I have never done it for any other rifle round using a jacketed bullet). You may have the seating die set too low, causing the flare to be removed prematurely and crimping the case, which digs into the bullet and then crushes the case.

In fact, when I load my 45 Colt, the case gets an hour glass look because I have reduced the diameter of the expander to increase bullet pull. I don't really think you have to worry too much about the expander.

I don't bell mine and they do fine with jacketed bullets.
Try this.
Loosen the seating die almost out.
Put an empty in the shell holder and raise the shell to extent of the ram.
Leave it all the way up.
Screw the seating die in until you feel contact.
Leave the seating stem up a bunch.
Load a cartridge with powder.
Put a bullet on top. Start seating. See where it is. Lower the ram and lower stem until you get where you like.
Get a Lee FCD and crimp.
Done.

It would seem to me that the seating die is set to deep and that your making contact with the case to early. Back the seating stem and the die out. Place a case in the shell holder and bring it up all the way to the top of the stroke. Now lower your die until you feel it touch the case mouth. Now place a bullet in the case and turn the seating stem down to make contact. lower the case and turn your seating stem in several turns. Continue the last to steps until you get the bullet seated to the cannelure. Lock the stem and at this point you can apply a crimp by turning the seating die down 1/4 to 1/3 turn. If you have sufficient crimp tighten the die lock ring. You shouldn't have any more problems. I disagree with not using the expander. Expand the mouth just enough to be able to balance a bullet. Hope this helps you.

I use the RCBS set, and have no problems loading jacketed bullets with consistency. One thing that is crucial: make sure your cases are trimmed to a consistent length, every time. If not, your seat/crimp operation will be all over the place.

Back