Nosler Solid Base 7mm Spitzer SP

laylandad

Beginner
Jun 8, 2010
I just came into 500 of these 150 gr 7mm spitzers. Am I right in assuming that I can use the #7 data for 150 gr bullets? I plan on using these in my 7mm Rem Mag and 280 Rem.

laylandad":1dn6u7qm said:
I just came into 500 of these 150 gr 7mm spitzers. Am I right in assuming that I can use the #7 data for 150 gr bullets? I plan on using these in my 7mm Rem Mag and 280 Rem.

#7 is fine, I have one of those. I compare between a few manuals and online manuals before working up a load, its just me.

TackDriver284":1b9xog6k said:
laylandad":1b9xog6k said:

#7 is fine, I have one of those. I compare between a few manuals and online manuals before working up a load, its just me.

Thanks! I cross referenced a few Nosler manuals...they were all the same.

They are nice and bright. The guy that I got them from said that they were approx 30-35 years old. I can't wait to see how they shoot.

Those were good bullets. A predecessor to the Ballistic Tip, they looked more conventional with that exposed lead tip.

I was quite fond of them in the 1980's, in .30 cal and .24 cal.

Then Nosler replaced 'em with the Ballistic Tip. It took me a while to warm up to the new plastic-tipped bullet, but I'm a big fan now.

Every time I hit something with a Solid Base bullet, it fell quickly. I really think those were very good hunting bullets. I never used the 7mm/150 grainer, but the 6mm & .30 cal bullets I used were very good. Accurate and worked well on game.

A few years back (maybe ten?) Nosler made another run of them and then had a GREAT close-out sale. I picked up on a bunch of 6mm and .30 cal Solid Base bullets and still have a few boxes. I'd have no hesitation using the .30's (165 & 180 gr) on elk or bear, and no problem using the 100 gr 6mm's on deer.

Regards, Guy

I killed several elk and deer with 7mm Nosler solid base bullets. Once loaded they could not be distinguished from the Partition and seem to work equally well. The ballistic tip is basically the solid base with a plastic tip, but they open more violently and thus give different performance. Starting loads for ballistic tips should be a good place to start with the solid base. They will be fine for deer and elk.

I used the 162 gr SB's in my 7RM for a few years and loved them. I was heart broken when Nosler dropped the line and switched to the Ballistic Tips. Kept shooting the SB's until I ran out of my last 2 boxes, but finally switched over the the 150 gr BT's. Didn't change a thing with my load, except the bullet, and the deer just kept dropping anyway.

If for some reason you have any qualms with your 150 SB's let me know. I'll take them off your hands in a heart beat, for my 7mm/08 !! (seriously)

The solid base 140s with N-205 powder was my go to in 7x57 until both were discontinued. I think I still have a box of those solid base bullets on the shelf.

Gunner46":1st1vi8k said:
I used the 162 gr SB's in my 7RM for a few years and loved them. I was heart broken when Nosler dropped the line and switched to the Ballistic Tips. Kept shooting the SB's until I ran out of my last 2 boxes, but finally switched over the the 150 gr BT's. Didn't change a thing with my load, except the bullet, and the deer just kept dropping anyway.

If for some reason you have any qualms with your 150 SB's let me know. I'll take them off your hands in a heart beat, for my 7mm/08 !! (seriously)

I never thought about trying them in my 7mm-08....may have to do that.

Side note, I may spare 100 for you if you want them. I'll most likely trade you for some other Noslers that I need if you're fine with it.

Back