Accubond or Partition

Backcast88

Beginner
Sep 15, 2012
I’ve been shooting 130gr and 140gr BT’s and SST’s. They kill deer quick and work ok on hogs but I’ve found them to be very destructive around bone. I try to keep em tucked behind the shoulder but occasionally catch the offside shoulder and they tend to not do the best. So I’m looking for a new load.

I’ve settled on the 130 Partition, 150 Partition or 130 AccuBond for an all around load for whitetail deer and hogs under 300yds. Which one do you think will perform the best or is it really just splitting hairs between the 2?

Rifle is a Tikka T3 stainless that really likes H4831sc. Thanks for the input.

A 270 and 130 Partition is about as great a combo that a guy could use. I have run a bunch of 150 Partitions in my 270 WSM, same for the 150 Ballistic Tip. I’d likely try the BTs. They will hold up a bit better but you’ll most definitely get expansion. They are pretty tough nuts.

The .270 a 130 gr Partition and H-4831 is a classic combo and has been popular for many decades, mainly due to JO'C. If it will shoot in your rifle, what else do you need. And...300 yds is not the limit for that load.

I use 140 Accubonds in my 270WSM. They have been flawless in everything from hogs, blacktail deer and cow elk.

It does not matter what bullet you use if you hit the shoulder bone it is going to make a mess. I like the AccuBond because it flies better and is easier to get great accuracy with over the partitions. At least that has been my experience.

Your splitting hairs, I have hunted with both, both do a great job. I think the heavier bullet might make less of a mess, but shoulder bones fragment even when using arrows.

I agree, the 140 AccuBond may be the best all around alternative choice.

Great accuracy, easy to work up loads with, reliable expansion and penetration, and a proven performer on big game.

.270 Winchester with 140 Grain Accubonds will cure whatever empty freezer space you have.

Blkram":25ct5f1d said:
I agree, the 140 AccuBond may be the best all around alternative choice.

Great accuracy, easy to work up loads with, reliable expansion and penetration, and a proven performer on big game.
This,
All Day Everyday & Twice On the Weekend.

I’ve seen several postings here and on other forums of guys saying AccuBond are too tough for deer and don’t expand much or don’t cause enough trauma to put a deer down quickly. Any validity to this or are Accubonds going to behave somewhat like a ballistic tip and cause lots of trauma but hold together and penetrate through the animal. I live in the southeast so deer aren’t giants but I’m shooting more hogs each year and need a good load to do both.

The only Accubonds I have shot deer with are 130 gr out of my 264 Win mag that has a 27 3/4" barrel and they are doing average 3350 fps at muzzle. I have shot a dozen of so North East NC deer with them from 25 yards out to just a touch over 500 yards and the bullet has acted the same no matter what the range. It goes in destroys the vitals leaving an exit the size of a nickel. Deer drop in their tracks.

I've shot a few deer with the 160 AccuBond in my 7mm rem mag and I can truthfully say they do expand, and do kill cleanly and quickly. The deer I've taken are 120 lbs or so from the coastal post oak savannah.

I've harvested a number of deer and antelope with the AccuBonds, in the 270 with 140's, the STW with 160's, as well as larger, heavier big game, such as elk and bison in the 376 Steyr with 260's, and have never had one fail to expand, penetrate deeply and provide the requisite trauma (shock and damage to the vitals and/or nervous system) for quick, clean harvests, when I have done my job and placed the bullet accurately.

There is a common misconception that if the animal is not DRT that the bullet has not done its job properly. These internet wizards have been sold and completely bought into a bill of goods and sales hype! I have harvested many animals cleanly with one well placed shot to the vitals, and the animals have run anywhere from a few steps to a couple of hundred yards and were expired by the time I had followed the blood trail to the animal. No two animals will react in the same manner, unless hit directly in the spine forward off the shoulders or in the brain, which will result in instant kills that drops the animal in its tracks. Yes, bullet placement is the key, and bullet penetration and expansion will determine the extent of trauma to the vitals, tissue and nervous system in order to provide quick, clean harvests.

For your deer and hogs, one bullet for both may not be the perfect choice, but the AccuBond should prove to be the best single performer for the two. Hunt hard, place your bullets carefully and reap the rewards!

Accubonds aren’t nothing but a sleeker Partition in my opinion. They actually seem to hold onto a larger frontal area in most cases than a Partition. I use them interchangeably.

One of the misconceptions that people have is that if the exit hole is not fist size the bullet did not expand. With bullets like the AccuBond that hold together they expand usually to about the same point and retain around 75% of their weight and keep on trucking through and exit hole is around 2 to 3 times the size of the original bullet diameter. Yep, no two animals are the same. The only deer that I ever shot with a Berger VLD 155 gr left the muzzle of my 30x47 at 2650 fps and impacted a big doe white tail at 111 yards that was broadside with just a slight angle toward me. Bullet hit was center of front shoulder and exit was tight behind the offside shoulder and was literally big enough to drop a baseball through and not touch the sides of the hide. Deer squatted and took off in a dead run and ran between 50 & 70 yards leaving no blood trail. When found it sloshed on the inside. It looked like you had turned a food processor loose in it's chest cavity. I have made almost the exact same shot a number of times with the AccuBond as well as other brand bullets and results are bang flop.

FWIW. here are a couple of pictures of recovered Accubonds that I have:

338 RUM 250AB from a bull moose, shot - about 150 yds - muzzle velocity 2950. The moose took about 6 steps and fell over - heart & lungs were destroyed:

375 RUM 260AB from a bull elk, shot - about 30 yds, muzzle velocity 2990. The elk was spooked and hauling butt out of there. It went about 100yds after the shot - liver destroyed.

I've only shot a few deer with ABs but they seem to do about the same damage as BTs but exit more often. Now I'm comparing 165BTs @2800 fps to 150gr ABs @ 3000 fps.
Billy

I’ve never actually used partitions, but killed several deer with the 130 AB in a 260 Rem. Every time it had a nickel to quarter sized exit with extensive damage on the inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland48":2qjf6odn said:
I’ve never actually used partitions, but killed several deer with the 130 AB in a 260 Rem. Every time it had a nickel to quarter sized exit with extensive damage on the inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I have found as well with the 130 gr AB in 260 Rem. Great bullet........

For the OP you can't go wrong with any of the bullets you listed either the AccuBond or Partition will do the job well.

Since you had used 300 yds or under as your distance, the
Old Partition has a proven track record at those distances, as long as the bullet weight is still correct for game your after???
Had you specified behond 300 yds, that is country the AccuBond would likely have the edge.
Having spent a good deal of time trying to track down wounded game most of my life, I like bullets that flatten game where it stands and NEVER concern myself with
Meat damage, just instantaneous kills. You were already
Using the two of the BEST bullets available under 300 yds on deer.
Just spent 2hrs few days ago chasing down a nice buck hit back a tad too far with a 150gr Partition.......... I had told him to bring 130gr SST for his 270, However he likes heavy bullets that
BLOW holes out the other side (old Elmer Keith camp) So I am bewildered why he bothered to ask me my opinion???? Anyway having seen dozens of them hit in same area with a different combination the results would have likely been different, my guess was had
The buck been hit with a 130 BT/SST it would have been laying right there. We have no snow here yet, and after a couple hundred yards there was very little blood leaking
And I was having trouble finding it, so had to go get a dog
And we finally located it , it had crawled in under an old fallen down cedar tree with just one leg sticking out......
I would have NEVER found it with out the dog.
GPS said it was 3/10 of a mile back out; to the spot he shot it???
Over penetration, lack of transmitted shock, poor shot
placement all equal game running off.
Just another one of hundreds of head of game I have had
To chase down from over penetrated bullets leaving little
Small exit wounds and little meat damage????????

Back