bullets from the 80's or 90's and todays bullets

mccraggen

Beginner
Mar 11, 2017
Hey guys

I got some sierra gamekings from the early 90's or maybe even 80's

I loaded them and they shot well

sierra gamekings 117gr SPBT

And now I have bought some modern bullets that are what i hope is the same bullet.

My question is, if they are from the same company, same product, will they perform the same?

They do look identical.

I shot a box of 308, 180 gr. Sierra FB bullets the other day. I was doing my annual sight check on my 300 WM. My best guess is that the bullets dated back several decades because it cost below $10. The first group was a little to the left on the level at 1.89 inches. The second group was right on point of aim, at 1.1 in. The distance was three hundred yards. Sierra has always put out a quality bullet, and as far as I know have never sold their 2nd's. I am not sure that all bullets are as consistent, but I am frequently shooting bullets that are very old with good luck.

Elkman":5c0y84z9 said:
Sierra has always put out a quality bullet, and as far as I know have never sold their 2nd's.

Just an FYI, Sierra does sell their seconds. They actually have an outlet store at their factory where they sell them by the pound along with their caps, t-shirts, and other first line items. You can not, however, buy first grade green boxed bullets through them. Those must be obtained through retailers or distributors.

Ron

Check OAL when switching between old and new bullets, as different age and lot # bullets may have slightly different ogives or lengths. That would be my only concern.

I’ve been using Sierra and Hornady bullets that probably predate me and they have shot just fine

No problem, Elkman.

Their factory is located in the city where I live and I used to work for them part time in the range. I still have friends and relatives who work there.

If memory serves me correctly, their seconds can vary in weight up to .02 grains high or low to published weight and can also have cosmetic flaws. I used to shoot them for virtually everything until I converted to 98% Nosler products. I still use a lot of Matchkings for practice loads. They do not sell any of the TMK bullets as seconds because customers complained too much about the plastic tips being deformed, etc. Personally, I think this is silly because when you buy bullets there they have you look at them before they seal the package and you have the opportunity to decline if they don't look acceptable. :roll:

I seem to recall that Sierra would ship seconds as well, but don't know if that's still the case. If you wanted a certain bullet and were willing to pay the shipping you could always call and inquire about price, etc. Be aware they don't always have every bullet in stock; it varies depending on recent production schedules.

Hope this helps.

Ron

Ron
I went on their web site and found the following. They do not ship. They sell by the pound. They do not sort, by caliber or weight. Just more info for the data base.

mccraggen":21x26x5r said:
wow their SECONDS only vary .02 grains. thats absolutely crazy!

Sierra, like Nosler, makes a good bullet.

Actually, I don't think the standard Sierras have changed much since their inception, decades ago. Obviously they've had to replace their bullet-forming dies many times, but I don't think their basic design has changed much.

Normally I shoot Noslers, but long ago I shot mostly Sierras. I was pleased with them then, and now.

Guy

Agree Guy. I've shot many Sierra Bullets over the years and prefer the Flat Base Pro hunter over the Gameking. (very sturdy bullet). I've also put a lost of Noslers (partitions) down the tube and both bullets have done the job quite well. I very frequently use the 225 Grain Pro hunter in the .338RUM and my last Elk was taken with that combination. Retained weight was 84 percent. Can't ask for more than that. By the way, the Elk dropped at the shot.

I have been pulling bullets all morning from a Mauser 98, 280 Remington that my dad left me. What I have found is that his loading protocols seemed to be deteriorating in his last few years. He passed in 04 and the gun has not been out of the safe since. In a box of 50rounds of loaded ammo, labeled 150 gr, bullets using H4831 I have found 160 gr, 140 grain, 148 grain , 130, and 145. As he frequented Lewiston Idaho and loved the discount he received on Speer seconds most of these seem to be Speer bullets. Most probably manufactured in the 70" and 80's I thought it was noteworthy to post this here. Needless to say I will be weighing them as I load the from now on. I have not found this great of a weight disparity in the several hundred Nosler 2nd's that I have weighed.

Back