Barnes LRX BT For Long Range Hunting

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
Been working and testing the accuracy and consistency of the 175 LRX BT .308 bullet from Barnes as a substitute for the 180 grain TTSX that I use for my 300 Winchester Magnum. This new batch was done with outmost of care and attention to detail as usual. The chronograph reading showed single digit SD and ES for 5 shot. The velocity went down bit from my initial test of this bullet from previous range session due to a much cooler temperature. Other than that the load remain stable and accurate. And yeah, I was equipped to take the pounding with my new Past shoulder pad. I really like this new offering from Barnes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-KvniCVBmo&t=7s

Looks as if you lost none of your attention to detail, Rommel. How was accuracy for you?

DrMike":3q5c8p25 said:
Looks as if you lost none of your attention to detail, Rommel. How was accuracy for you?
+1 Yes I'd like to know too, and seating depth off the lands? Looks like you have them set at Std. SAAMI length to me?

longrangehunter":199wvksd said:
DrMike":199wvksd said:
+1 Yes I'd like to know too, and seating depth off the lands? Looks like you have them set at Std. SAAMI length to me?

Cole, I seat the bullet just enough to fit the magazine of my Model 70 Laredo LRH. The OAL is 3.380" which just .040 longer than SAAMI standard. The 175 grain LRX BT with it's 7 caliber tangent ogive seated 3.380 will have a .053 jump as measured by my Stoney Point OAL gauge.

After having shoulder surgery a few years back, I wouldn't shoot half the number of rounds per year I do if it wasn't for my PAST pad. I jumped ahead of my shooting buddies and call it my puss pad, now most of them want one.

Great shooting!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

thatguySHM":1p1pajd1 said:
After having shoulder surgery a few years back, I wouldn't shoot half the number of rounds per year I do if it wasn't for my PAST pad. I jumped ahead of my shooting buddies and call it my puss pad, now most of them want one.

Great shooting!
I bought one of those years ago, a Mag Plus, but I didn't like it as much a my Bob Allen I already had due to the fact the material in the Bob Allen is more flexible, and yet firm. Unlike the PAST was very stiff even when warm, and didn't seem to mold as well to my shoulder, or the butt stock, and to me seemed to cause more resistance to absorb the recoil under fire vs. the Bob Allen.

I thought the PAST would have functioned better though due to the material when you stick your finger into it, but maybe I'll have to try it out again one day, or just sell it?

Attachments

• P1050430.jpg
    P1050430.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 3,103
What helps me is I'm 6'3" and wide in the chest and shoulders. It fits me perfectly but maybe I'm an outlier. Maybe I'll look at the Allen's just to have a back up and compare side to side. Thanks for the heads up!!

Thanks for the info Rommel!

I have 2 boxes of those in 200 gr to test one day in my 300 NM, just too many irons in the fire to test this time of the year it seems! The 215 Berger's were impressive to see from 300WinMag post on game. It's just I've used a lot of the Barnes bullets over the years, and have never had one fail one me, so it's a tough call which to use for hunting?

thatguySHM":11zd38bw said:

Great shooting!

I've been shooting the 300 Win Mag for quite a number of years and I never had any problem with recoil until I started shooting this 175 LRX. I get bruised after a few rounds shooting it from the bench,

I think I see the problem, Rommel. You're using the wrong shoulder! :shock:

DrMike":441pilnq said:
I think I see the problem, Rommel. You're using the wrong shoulder! :shock:

I guess I'm ambidextrous DrMike. LOL :grin: :grin:

As i have been shooting a 300WM since shortly after the last ice age I have learned that a couple of shot strings annually is enough to insure hunting accuracy. I have other rifles that I have to shoot for fun. And like others I have been using a pad for the real kickers since my shoulder surgery.

Like I always say.....

The only thing a .300 Win Mag does way better than the 7mm Rem Mag..... is Recoil.

Been working with the 145 LRX in my 7RM.... looks like 3150-3200 is reasonable out of my 23” barrel, jury is still out on accuracy.

Ouch Rommel! That's like what I used to get from full house +P 45/70 loads with a steel butt plate! Not fun to see that pic!

Back