.257 Roberts fun

hereinaz

Beginner
Dec 19, 2016
Shot this in a .257 working up a load with the Magnetospeed speed. Was neat watching the higher powder charges climb.

I like the blue tips, they look cool too.

The top two look like that is a good spot. One had a little ejector mark...
6ea2e5dcf2b2827bd0ff78a11b143c47.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

H4895, started from 35 up to 38, 100 Nosler BT

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That looks to be a good start. My BIL always used that combo. If you really want to rock the Bob, get some 115 BTs and some Reloder 22. 3100 fps is possible and makes the Bob a lightning bolt.

Bruce Mc":dyh8mqah said:
That looks to be a good start. My BIL always used that combo. If you really want to rock the Bob, get some 115 BTs and some Reloder 22. 3100 fps is possible and makes the Bob a lightning bolt.

Daayyang....lighting bolt indeed. Almost let a smith talk me into rechambering my beloved 250 Sav. into a Roberts. It would have solved my feeding problems but.... Sounds like fun! CL

Looking at acquiring a Ruger No 1 RSI in 257 Roberts from a friend. Need to complete my set of various Ruger RSI's.

While very similar to my 250 AI performance wise, still a neat cartridge I have yet had the pleasure of playing with. I realize that the shorter barrel will not reach the potential of your load with a 115 BT at 3100 fps, but should still be a great performer!

Glad to hear you are having fun and getting some good performance!

My wife has a Ruger #1 B in 257 Bob and with the 115gr BT's 3180 average and .5 MOA at 100 yds using Norma MRP.. She is going to start stretching it out and shooting milk jugs out to 600 yds.. I have one in a Ruger M77 MKII with a 22" pipe, that same load was 3050 and about the same accuracy. I did just work up a load with 75 gr Hornady Vmax using Reloader 16.. I found a node at 51 grs.. velocity right at 3600 and 1 MOA at 100 yds.. Going to fine tune the seating depth and see if I can tighten that up.. The 257 Bob is a very fun to shoot caliber with almost no recoil..
Keep shooting that Bob.
Take care
Ed

I gave my M700 Classic 257 Roberts to my daughter who absolutely loves to hunt with it. It's loaded up with the 115 gr BT at 3100 fps and zeroed at 200 yards. She passed on a spike horn last weekend at 260 yards. She held about 3" high but let him walk. It's a lighting bolt on deer.

JD338

Got to love the 257 Bob, it performs way above what it was intended to with the new powders and bullets.
When I had mine built it was only considered a varmint cartridge like the 22-250 wit a little heavier bullet to buck the wind.
Killed several deer with it with the old Hornady 117gr round nose bullet. Used it in heavy brush and thick timber when I needed to thread a needle to get a bullet to a deer for the kill.
It's built on a M725 Remington long action with a custom Douglas 1-12" twist barrel and feeds flawlessly.
Yeah one would say the big Remington action is over kill but it's what I had at the time and I don't regret using it for the Bob and it lets use the full capacity of the case.

Good point about the long action Roger. My Classic is also a long action. You can load to almost 3.00" which pretty much gives you full case capacity.

JD338

Back