Speer 250 grain. .358 bullets

Elkman

Handloader
Apr 4, 2010
I was rearranging my piles today and found a box of Speer 250's for the princely sum of $4.95 cents. Two boxes of Remington 250's were marked at $7.95. I have enough to last me well beyond my passing. Kind of depressing when you think about it :grin: I will have to look at my cans of 4895, 4350, 3031 and 4831 to see if I can find a sticker.

Those Speer bullets are pretty tough to beat in the .35 Whelen. I have some gun magazines from the late 50's to early 60's. Prices on some of the guns just make a guy drool. But then again $50 was a lot of money back then.

That Speer 250 used to get talked-up a lot, even as a brown bear bullet.

Guy

5e7dcaff4797b97934913bafb7cf432f.jpg

Speer 250gr HC fired out of my 35 whelen at 2400fps. Went completely thru a piece of drift wood. 230grs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've shot a couple of whitetails with the 250HC and been very pleased. For some reason, I got it in my head that I just had to flip that rifle to a 250PT, and it worked out fine, but I have a pretty good stock (several hundred) of the 250HC as well.

Least not forget the great article where a dozen Yukon guides were all asked to keep track of Moose shot on hunts with 35 caliber bullets for a study on bullet effectiveness. They data included everything from .35 R.E.M.
Vel up thru .358 magnums , bunch of 35 Whelen and .358W involved. Over a ten year period that involved dozens of kills with everything from Corelokts/ Bitteroots, but when the smoke all cleared the Speer bullet got
The nod as the top performer over all!!! Hard to argue with that detailed of a testing over so many years!

I probably have enough of those Speers, for a couple of my lifetimes. Today I found a pound IMR-4895, that sold for $3.08, at a White Front discount store, that probably closed in the 70's. I did not open it but the others I have during a slightly later time seem to be fine.

One of my Canadian pen pals huts moose and Grizzly bear with a .35 Whelen. His go to bullet is the 250 gr. Speer. Says it hasn't failed him yet and he's been using it for over 20 years.
Paul B.

G'Day Fella's,

Elkman, those Remington 250grn bullets, are like Gold!
If you ever decide you don't need them, can I suggest you Auction them.

Doh!
Homer

PJGunner":214ce06k said:
One of my Canadian pen pals huts moose and Grizzly bear with a .35 Whelen. His go to bullet is the 250 gr. Speer. Says it hasn't failed him yet and he's been using it for over 20 years.
Paul B.

Ya, that bullet has been regarded as gold for decades.

Guy

I am glad to see all of these posts, I had thought they would be good for plinking and target practice. I guess i will use the Remington PSP's., for general shooting. And keep these for serious use.

I load the 250 Partitions in my .35 Whelen, but still have a bunch of the Speer Hot Cores and would not hesitate to use them on most anything.

35 Whelen":1u60n21n said:
Least not forget the great article where a dozen Yukon guides were all asked to keep track of Moose shot on hunts with 35 caliber bullets for a study on bullet effectiveness. They data included everything from .35 R.E.M.
Vel up thru .358 magnums , bunch of 35 Whelen and .358W involved. Over a ten year period that involved dozens of kills with everything from Corelokts/ Bitteroots, but when the smoke all cleared the Speer bullet got
The nod as the top performer over all!!! Hard to argue with that detailed of a testing over so many years!

Do you recall what publication the article was in? I like the Speer because they are the least expensive option for getting lots of range time, and the fact that they work is icing on the cake.

lefty315":1epjx1b3 said:
I load the 250 Partitions in my .35 Whelen, but still have a bunch of the Speer Hot Cores and would not hesitate to use them on most anything.

Same here. They are rugged darned bullets and loads I have developed with the Speer have shot Partitions exactly the same way. I'd run one of those 250 Speers into any old elk or whatever.

I've got several hundred 250 HotCor's and 250 PT's. I figure between the two I can kill a bunch of animals with authority.

5Shot,
I posted that story on here years ago, search under my posts should bring it up for ya!
My Ruger shoots the Speers into the same hole as Nosler Partitions so I can use them
Interchangeably, and I have boxes of Kodiaks, Swifts, Bearclaws etc , but as it turns out
You just can't beat the Speers........

Stillhunter":1lqe92mk said:
Gentlemen, how would this bullet or the 250 Partition do for .358 Winchester velocities? 20 Inch BLR.

I’d be okay with it. It’ll run 2300+ without too much trouble. I ran it in mine a few times. It’s good for a few hundred yards or so.

Stillhunter":1c2gp7g9 said:
Gentlemen, how would this bullet or the 250 Partition do for .358 Winchester velocities? 20 Inch BLR.

Two hundred fifty grain bullets will work in the BLR. I've taken bison with a 250 grain Hornady SP. I don't believe it was optimal, but it did work. I think I would have been better served with a lighter bullet. On the other hand, 250 grain bullets launched from my .356 Win have accounted for a pretty good variety of game over the years.

35 Whelen":2dr6a2fg said:
5Shot,
I posted that story on here years ago, search under my posts should bring it up for ya!
My Ruger shoots the Speers into the same hole as Nosler Partitions so I can use them
Interchangeably, and I have boxes of Kodiaks, Swifts, Bearclaws etc , but as it turns out
You just can't beat the Speers........

Thanks - I'll do that.

How do you think they'll hold up at 2650? The new Whelen AI is going to be pushing that easily.

Back