Anyone using RL 7 to load 223.

1Shot

Handloader
Dec 5, 2008
While on my annual hunting trip to east NC I ran into a deal. A fellow was getting a divorce and his wife was taking him to the cleaners so he was liquidating his assets into cash to keep something. I got a good deal on powder, bullets and primers, less than half price. There were two pounds of RL 7 and about the only thing I could use it for would be in 223 in AR platform. Anyone have any experience with it.

I load 19 grs. with 55 gr. bullet and Fed.205 primer in my son's combo turkey gun. About 5/8 in. group at 100 yds. and not too hard on turkeys. Dan.

I feel like someone on another forum was using them to push 40 grainers over 4,000 fps in their .223 years ago. And I'm pretty sure some chastised him for pushing that combo too hard. It's probably a decent combination. You don't HAVE to try for 4,000 fps...

8208 IMR is the powder for 5.56
Excellent results with 77 MK

RL 7 works great in 45-70

The 3 Powders for 5.56

Reloader 15 Was Favorite still excellent
IMR 8208 Favorite since introduction
Varget

jason miller":3t17prwv said:
I feel like someone on another forum was using them to push 40 grainers over 4,000 fps in their .223 years ago. And I'm pretty sure some chastised him for pushing that combo too hard. It's probably a decent combination. You don't HAVE to try for 4,000 fps...

I've read the thread. 24hr campfire I believe. Seemed like 3800fps with a 40gr bullet would be pretty easy? Might be worth a shot, but it's obviously more suited to the light bullets.

Thanks for the information. I have never loaded any RL 7 and got this in the package deal. I have vast experience with other powders, over 40 years as a hand loader. I just was curious to see what other were using it for in the 223. Will give it a try with some 52 to 55 gr bullets I have on hand. It seams not to matter what powder you use with both of my ARs they both average 1 to 1 1/2" with just about anything.

Back