338 Fed 200gr FTX

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
So my winter project is going to be another AR, this time I'm going AR10 with a 338 Federal barrel..Hoping to use it for a quick handling rifle for black bear and hogs and because I already have one in 308 Win..LOL....I want to start the 200 grain Hndy FTX but not sure on powder, but I'm thinking H335 will be a good place to start, and I assume I shouldn't overlook Varget and Leverevolution. A lot of guys are reporting good results with H4895, and 8208 XBR, but looking for any advice on powders you guys can suggest or any QL data.. Thanks!

I started loading the 338 Federal with a healthy dose of RL15 and the 200gr Hotcor in my DPMS. I want to say it took 46.5gr to get the bolt to consistently lock back, and it was accurate enough for what I did with it.

I've used most medium rifle powders with my 338 Feds, settling on H335 with the 180gr AccuBond for my Ruger M77, and am still tweaking my DPMS for hunting. AR Comp has given me good numbers in the DPMS, but accuracy hasn't been where I'd like it. 2000MR isn't a bad powder either. Neither is 4895.

It all depends on what you want to do with it. I was just reading through Ken Waters pet loads and he touted H4895 as one of the best powders for 200gr bullets, but this was in the 90s I believe and he kept most loads around 2.900", which you won't be able to do in the AR platform.

This is by far my favorite round, I have loaded for it extensively. Any questions just let me know.

SHM

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Awesome! I have a go-to guy now! I'm just getting started in the build..Still settling on a parts list. I guess it'l be after Christmas before I start ordering parts..I witnessed the FTX performance on a black bear and a whitetail doe my friend shot a few weeks ago with his 338 Marlin Exp, and was quite impressed with the expansion, penetration and lethality of the bullet. He uses 200 gr Hndy Leverevolution ammo.

I tried them early on and didn't get great results. I can cloverleaf the 180 ABs in my M77, and can get pretty consistent 1-1.5" in the AR with the Hotcors.

I'm thinking about trying to talk the wife into getting me a Savage hog hunter in 338 Fed simply because I want one.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Back