7mm- 160 AB

Backcast88

Beginner
Sep 15, 2012
So I've been looking at getting a new rifle for next season and I am leaning towards a 7mm Rem Mag.

I would like a do all bullet that will have me covered from the muzzle in the woods or under the stand but I also would like a high BC bullet to shoot across some bean fields at 300-350yds. The rifle will have a 26" barrel so I was curious what everybody's favorite powder and load is for the 160 AB. As always, thanks a ton.

Every 7mm I've tried shot well with the 160 AB and 66.0gr RL22. That being said, I used a 150gr Swift Scirocco II this year and at 230 yards put down my deer easily, and I hit a bit further back then I would have liked. Punched the liver and still bruised the lungs. With high velocity rifles I use bonded bullets. Lower velocity get cup and core. I shot the 175 ABLR into water jugs at 50 yards, recovered a nice looking slug, that's on the bullet test section of the boards. Penetrated deep.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The 160 AccuBond has been around for what, 10 years?

The 7mm Rem mag was doing great, long before that. But yes, the 160 AccuBond is a terrific bullet for it. I'd agree with RL-22, and 65/66 grains. That's above max in some manuals, so be careful working up to it.

Guy

150 Scirocco, 160 AB, 160 PT, 175 PT, or 150 BT would be my first picks! If you put any of those in the right place you’ll have success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot 68 grains of RE26 behind the 160 AccuBond in my 23” 7mm Rem Mag for about 3000 fps.

A 160 grain 7mm AccuBond at 3k+.... is no joke. I’d shoot it almost anything.

Here is my take on it. You don't need a 26 inch barrel, a standard barrel will do fine at that distance, and farther. I consider 300 yards as point blank and doesn't require a lot of fancy . equipment. to get you there. As well as good bullets and a good scope any accurate 7mm Mag will do a great job well past that distance. There is very little measurable difference in bullet trajectory at that distance, so any premium will get the job done. My 7mm is sighted in at 3.75 inches high at 100 yards, and a back line hold at 400 yards will get it done. I have two good loads for mine, one with H-4350, at 66 grains, and an AOL of 3.280, with the 160 AB. My favorite load is 71 gr, of H-1000 with the 160 AB, again at 3.280 AOL. My best group with this load as been 1.986 at 300 yards, Hope this helps.
One more thought I have found the AB to be a little difficult to find the best AOL but once you have that worked out they are golden

Yup, 160 gr AB and RL22 at 3000-3100 fps.
The 150 gr ABLR and 168 ABLR are a couple
of options.

JD338

Honestly.... for your application... deer under 400 yards... I’d look at the 140 AccuBond, and reap the advantages of flatter trajectories and less recoil. Under your criteria, a miss/poor hit high or low (due to poor range or shooting) is far more common than a miss due to wind... so the added BC isn’t necessarily a boon. The 140 is several inches flatter between 250 and 400... and I’ve seen that couple inches mean the difference between promptly dispatched Game.... and Two-Mile rodeos.

Sometimes, the BC juice isn’t worth the velocity squeeze... especially at hunting ranges.

I shoot the 160 out of my 7 Mag.... but that’s only because I want to be able to shoot out to 600 yards, and elk are also on the menu. If it weren’t for those two things... I’d shoot a 140.

My friends and I have been using the 160 grain Accubonds as our go to bullet for everything since it came out. We have taken several deer and over 25 moose with it. Yes I load them with 65gr of RL22. I haven't mentioned elk as we have been bow hunting for them. However I have used the old solid base bullet with good results and have no doubt the AccuBond will do the job. The moose I shot this year was facing me and the bullet entered the neck and ended up in a hind quarter with 70% weight retention. What more could you ask for?

If you put a gun to my head and asked me to pick a single 7mm bullet to shoot in any 7mm I own that I know would shoot and perform on game, it would be the 160 AccuBond. It is a GREAT bullet. I know I might get banned but I actually like it more than the 160 Partition (Bob, don't strike me down from above :mrgreen: )

A good 7mm Magnum and a 160 AccuBond and I'd be A-OK hunting anything that didn't require a solid. They penetrate like crazy, fly very well and also open up pretty danged well. Plus, it is pretty seldom a rifle just won't shoot them.

Ballistic coefficient isn't a significant factor until you get out there a ways, more like 600 yards and up.

160 NAB is a great choice. I went with Reloader 26 and 162 ELDX, but I shoot at 600 regularly.

P

Great choice!

I've also heard that Magpro is a great powder in the 7 Rem Mag. DrMike may have some recipes he can share, as I never did reload for mine while I had it, as the Federal Premium ammo with the 165 SGK was very accurate and performed well on lots of game.

The 160 AB has done very well in my STW with a 24" barrel, chronying at 3222 fps and providing 1" groups at 300 yards. Taken even more game with this lh Sako than the rh Remington 700 in Rem Mag.

Go with 24" barrel, it will be a better all around choice for your application

Been loading 160gr. ABs in my Buddy’s 7mm mag since they have been available :wink:
They are .5 moa with 60grs. of IMR 4350 under them (y) .

Blessings,
Dan

Back