308 Winchester 178 grain Hornady

andrewctillman

Beginner
Feb 6, 2013
Is anyone using the ELD-M, ELD-X or BTHP fro Hornady?

Ive been loading Varget at 2600-2640 fps in a Remington 40X in Winchester brass without apparent pressure signs. the #10 Hornady manual says this is over pressure. 2460 is the highest velocity powder from a 22 inch barrel at 2550 fps. Pro Hunter factory ammo is going 2670 fps from my 20 inch tactical. What gives?

PS, the G7 is as high as Hornady claims. Verified at Horse Ridge.

I have loaded 42.7 to 42.8 grains Varget on both the ELD M and X with superb accuracy. Velocity is 2675 to 2690 fps on both bullets.

If you are after top velocity with the heavy bullets in the 308 look at re 17. It can be really accurate too but if it's not very good varget probably going to be your Huckleberry!

Thanks Mark,

That is right in line with what I have been getting. My OCL is 2.86 which is the maximum I can load in AI magazines. That gives me a 50/1000 jump to engage rifling. Not ideal but still getting 3/4 - 1 inch V/H groups at 100 and better than I can hold at 1,000.

What is your OCL?

Do you suppose the Hornady data is so conservative because their brass has much less capacity than WW? (I have not noticed a problem w their 223 brass which is actually a bit faster than most brands).

Kraky, thanks for advice. I have not tried anything slower than 4064 since both my rifles have relatively short barrels. The SR25 would probably not like RL17. Have you tried 2460?

andrewctillman":2q55rjy4 said:
Thanks Mark,

That is right in line with what I have been getting. My OCL is 2.86 which is the maximum I can load in AI magazines. That gives me a 50/1000 jump to engage rifling. Not ideal but still getting 3/4 - 1 inch V/H groups at 100 and better than I can hold at 1,000.

What is your OCL?

Do you suppose the Hornady data is so conservative because their brass has much less capacity than WW? (I have not noticed a problem w their 223 brass which is actually a bit faster than most brands).

My OAL is 2.841" in the AI magazine and .010" off the lands. Last time I shot a 3 shot group at 300 with the 178 ELDX and it went .829" center to center.

.050" is a pretty long jump, have you tried different deeper seating depths?

4064 is a great powder, you may want to try it and see.

Try up to 43 grains for the 178 ELD. You may find a node up there.

Manuals tend to give different data, I just compare 3 to 4 manuals and pick a low - middle charge and work up.

I spoke to Hornady tech yesterday and he reviewed reloading notes for me on the ELD-X. Varget and 4064 were most accurate, so no surprise there. He said next 50 fps increment put it over SAAMI specs in their rifle/brass/primer combo. They show 42.4 Varget as max. I should have asked asked what they used in the Pro Hunter ammo

Are you using Laupua brass?

andrewctillman":37hwajrc said:
I spoke to Hornady tech yesterday and he reviewed reloading notes for me on the ELD-X. Varget and 4064 were most accurate, so no surprise there. He said next 50 fps increment put it over SAAMI specs in their rifle/brass/primer combo. They show 42.4 Varget as max. I should have asked asked what they used in the Pro Hunter ammo

Are you using Laupua brass?

Yes, its the only brand I am using for the .308

I am using 42.7 grains for the X and 42.6 grains for the M.

Did you ask the tech what speed it was?

I am getting 2670 fps at 80 degrees w Pro Hunter from stainless 20 inch Remington 40 X barrel (reduced to 20 inches). 2640 fps at 38 degrees.

43 grains Varget at 78 degrees was a little too hot in my rifle w WW brass and Federal 210 Benchrest primers at 2.865 OCL. (2710 fps). Flat primers and one ejection mark out of three.

I am retesting with weighed rather than electronic scale at 42.0 and 42.5 grains, then will test deeper seating. I will need closer to 2.8 OCL in SR25 magazzine.

If I call tech support again I will ask them what their Pro Hunter ammo chronographs in their 22 inch Mod 70 barrel.

Back