quality brass

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
As most of you reloaders know that Lapua has one of the best brass out there and its what I use as well as Norma. I do not want to switch to a small rifle primer for the 6.5 Creedmoor and Lapua do not offer LR primer for it, but came across a few names that have popped up such as Peterson Brass and Alpha Munitions. How consistent are their brass if any of you have used them? I like to see consistent internal volume and high quality brass.

Give Nosler brass a try for your Creedmoor. Rumor has it that Norma makes the brass for them.

Richracer1":3o1rwqgm said:
Give Nosler brass a try for your Creedmoor. Rumor has it that Norma makes the brass for them.

It's what I am using right now, but curious on other brands. I vowed not to use Nosler brass again due to inconsistency issues due to problems with my 7mm and 300 Magnum.
So far I haven't seen issues any yet after 50 firings.

I just did sort weighing on 20 pieces of 6.5 virgin brass I have left, and variances in weight between those pieces was only .75 grains high and low.

I've used Peterson brass in my Creedmoor and it's good brass. The weight variance was about 2.5grs for 200 cases.

IdahoCTD":1btcezzp said:
I've used Peterson brass in my Creedmoor and it's good brass. The weight variance was about 2.5grs for 200 cases.

Do you throw in all your brass if the same lot and weight sort it? Would different lot make any difference if you weight sort it? I think different lots have different weights. Hopefully the reloading gurus can help me answer that question.

Side note, came across a new brass maker called Atlas Development Group, anyone experienced with their brass?

http://www.atlasdg.com/

I have been using Nosler Brass in my 270, not a super hot load of 59.5gr 4831sc @3080fps (24”)

But after 2 firings the primer pockets are loose. 3rd firing the primer will fall out after seating it.

@$105 for 50 2 firings is rubbish.

I don’t mind spending money on quality items and the brass when new is awesome, super consistent etc.

So what do you get? Norma is the same as Nosler (or so I am told), Winchester, hornady, RP is average at best, IDK.

Pretty frustrating!

I helped a buddy who'd bought 200 new Norma 7mm mag brass. It was so long that much of it wouldn't even chamber. We sized and trimmed it all before even loading it.

AnthonyC":2w0wtbl0 said:
I have been using Nosler Brass in my 270, not a super hot load of 59.5gr 4831sc @3080fps (24”)

But after 2 firings the primer pockets are loose. 3rd firing the primer will fall out after seating it.

@$105 for 50 2 firings is rubbish.

I don’t mind spending money on quality items and the brass when new is awesome, super consistent etc.

So what do you get? Norma is the same as Nosler (or so I am told), Winchester, hornady, RP is average at best, IDK.

Pretty frustrating!

My opinion is Norma stuff is pretty good these days. Even if Nosler were made by Norma, it is spec'ed differently. I have used a bit of RWS, Lapua and now some Alpha. Those have been uber tough pieces of brass and very straight as well.

Truth is, for the the 270 Win, the good old WW brass is pretty danged good when a little care is used to prep it.

I primarily load Winchester and RP. Sort it by weight and usually get at least 5 or 6 loads per case. Out of a hundred I usually cull a 1/2 dozen or so. I tried Laupa but my .308 did not like it.

Back