Bullet Pullers

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Since I have a lot of bullets to pull I'm looking for something different than the hammer style that I use for an occasional mistake.
I want to reclaim the bullets and powder for other loads and really don't like this much ammo on hand since I prefer to load just what I plan on shooting and don't load and store ammo.
Any and all brand suggestions would be appreciated and reason for your selection will help me decide which one to purchase.

I have a Forster collet bullet puller.

JD338

I have the Forster as well simply because I got it with a few collets on eBay cheap. I often wonder if the Hornady cam lock version is any good but won't change, there is no reason to for what I need.

What I'd look at is full cost. What collets you need, and make sure it will work in the press you use. I keep a pardner press for my collet pullers and collet belted mag sizer.

They all pretty much do the same. I've been intrigued by the grip pullers, but no reason to switch. Once you switch to a Forster Co-Ax, you start checking to see what's compatible.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I have the Hornady collet puller. It works fine. I think all the collet pullers work on the same basic concept. The collet the size of the bullet squeezes down on the bullet (in my case with a cam lever and with the Foster I think there's a t bar that screws down on the collet) and the leverage of the ram arm helps pull the bullet. I've used mine to pull some 20+ year old reloads that were pretty snug due to age and some corrosion. The collet does little or no damage to the bullet. If I were starting all over, I'd probably get the Foster, just because it's cheaper and does the same job. Either way, it's a whole lot better than those hammer bullet pullers.

Nice to know! When I'm pulling those old bullets, I always seat it a few thousandths deeper to break any hold before I pull it out.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Truck Driver, I'm still using an inertia / hammer puller that is getting long in the tooth.

Having wrote my disclaimer, I've been considering the Hornady Cam-Lock and RCBS pullers as replacements. I think for me, the Hornady vertical lever would allow more fluid movement rather than a horizontal lever. Off setting that consideration is that I don't hear much negativity about the RCBS puller other than it uses a bronze or brass part that can wear quickly if the puller / collets aren't used properly. Hornady and RCBS collets & spare parts are readily available in my neck of the woods. Forster and Redding are not stocked at any LGS.

Based on the reviews at MidwayUSA, and my observations I am most interested in the RCBS or the Hornady Cam-Lock pullers when the time comes to replace the hammer.

G'Day Fella's,

Truck Driver, I have only ever owned/used the RCBS collet type bullet puller and a Hammer/Inertia type bullet puller.

Any of the Collet type pullers will do the job but be aware that you can actually distort/damage the bullets, if your Ham Fisted with their use.
So take it easy at first, until you work out how much tension you need to use, to get the job done (bullet pulled).

Hope that helps

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

I use the inertia puller with an rubber ear plug in the tip to insure that the bullets are not deformed. The key is to have a very solid surface to beat on, a wooden bench doesn't get it. I just did a 100 and it went pretty fast. I can't see anything else going much faster.

Elkman":14ehtvjs said:
I use the inertia puller with an rubber ear plug in the tip to insure that the bullets are not deformed. The key is to have a very solid surface to beat on, a wooden bench doesn't get it. I just did a 100 and it went pretty fast. I can't see anything else going much faster.
When I use mine I have a 6" aluminum billet I place a block of lead on that I use as a striking surface and reacts similar to a dead blow hammer.
I also have a piece of foam rubber in the tip to cushion the bullet. Problem is I get powder under the foam rubber and if loads are of different powder it can get contaminated if I forget to clean it out when changing calibers with different powder.

I ordered a Foster from Brownells so I have a collet puller on the way.

That Grip-n-Pull looks like a great piece of gear! I didn't even know it existed. Thanks!

I've been using the RCBS collet type bullet puller for quite a while with no problems. Recently used it to dis-assemble a bunch of old, handloaded 25-06 ammo I was given. It works well. Can get into a pretty good rhythm with it.

Guy

Blkram":1wozpm1i said:
MAinAR":1wozpm1i said:
Nothing is quicker or quieter or easier on the bullet than the Grip n Pull.

https://grip-n-pull.com/

Looking to get these myself.

Just remembered I need one to pull some 416's, so guess what I'll be ordering this weekend!
I saw them when they first came out and was intrigued by the simple design and function till I saw the price. I would have to buy 3 to cover all my needs and I can get a collet puller with collets for half the cost. Just call me cheap. :)>)

The grip & pull has worked very well for me over the last 2 years. It's fast and easy to use. I only use an inertia puller when absolutely necessary.

The only down side to the grip & pull is that you need enough bullet shank to grab. If bullets are seated too deeply and you mostly have the ojive above the case mouth then there will be insufficient shank for the puller to grab. Other than that the grip & pull is well worth the money due to its speed and convenience.

I have been using the RCBS collet puller since 1976 and have found it to be excellent. I just looked at the box and the price was $2.50. I have a collet in a box I bought at the same time and the price on that was also $2.50. I have other collets for it but I don't know what I paid for them.

Back