280 Remington deer/pig bullet

10gaugemag

Beginner
Jan 18, 2016
Just purchased a 280 and need to get a deer/pig load worked up. Thinking of either a 150 grain Ballistic Tip/Partition or a 160 AccuBond/Partition.

Our place is mostly timber and even when I do hunt our field a shot wont reach 150 yards.

99% of the shots I take are 75 yards or less and I don't mind taking hard angling shots.

Deer go 175-225#, mature bucks only.

I also have both H/IMR 4350 on hand as well as both H/IMR 4831. RL-19 is another powder that keeps popping up in my searches.

What say you?

I shoot 150gr Partitions with my 280 featherweight. 56gr IMR 4350 makes 2950fps and is just sub MOA if I let the barrel cool. I’ve used it on whitetails in Minnesota and hogs in Texas. Zero 2.5” high at 100 and you’re good on deer/pig sized vitals out to 300 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try the Speer 145 Grand Slam. I've had excellent luck with this bullet. Protected point design with a slightly blunt metplat. Plenty flat shooting for your ranges. Real hammer on large deer at all shot angles. I'm running mine over IMR 4350. Don't remember the charge offhand, but I'm using Hodgedon/IMR data.

I shoot a 280 Featherweight almost exclusively for deer and bear and a 160 AB over RL-22 would be hard to beat, although the 140 AB and Hndy superformance is what I go to most often and never had a bear or deer run out of eye sight before falling. I spent the summer trying all sorts of bullets and used the 120 TTSX this deer season with good results, but will most likely return to the 140 AB.

hunter24605":1vpwgeqb said:
I shoot a 280 Featherweight almost exclusively for deer and bear and a 160 AB over RL-22 would be hard to beat, although the 140 AB and Hndy superformance is what I go to most often and never had a bear or deer run out of eye sight before falling. I spent the summer trying all sorts of bullets and used the 120 TTSX this deer season with good results, but will most likely return to the 140 AB.

Interesting, never thought about Superformance with the lighter bullets.

Tough to beat the 140 gr PT in the 280 Remington.

JD338

At your ranges, it might be fun to run a retro bullet also. Will be a good use for some of your 4831. For the price they can be had, a box of 175 Hornady RN would be worth playing with, if nothing else just to see the deliciously vintage looking loaded rounds. I'm a bit curious what they do to a large hog also.

Polaris":3tbp38ua said:
At your ranges, it might be fun to run a retro bullet also. Will be a good use for some of your 4831. For the price they can be had, a box of 175 Hornady RN would be worth playing with, if nothing else just to see the deliciously vintage looking loaded rounds. I'm a bit curious what they do to a large hog also.

Man that would be old school cool. Where do you get them since they’re discontinued?

Polaris":2u4jr727 said:
I do know where some 154 RN Hornady are/were?

fightthenoise":2gq9hgt1 said:
Polaris":2gq9hgt1 said:

Man that would be old school cool. Where do you get them since they’re discontinued?

See some stuff like that on GunBroker at times.

Shoot, didn't realize they were discontinued. Looks like strictly an internet find now, just like my Speer Mag Tips. The Norma Oryx is still in production and is a nearly round nose design. Fine bullet as well.

Hornady has done a good job discontinuing items that aren't as "modern". I suppose these items aren't big sellers in todays market of wanting longer range tough bullets.

I wish they still had .243 100 grain SP but they are no longer offered.

There is still an old school cool .280 bullet out there though. The Speer GS. Looks like the old Federal Hi-shok. I've been using them to great effect on large Northwoods whitetail for several years now in my .280 (145 gr). Not a particularly sleek or long range design, rather a slight flattened point for immediate expansion. Drop bucks like Thor's hammer, then hold together and drive through. Very accurate in my rifle also. The 145 SP matches trajectory to 150 yards or so for low-cost practice.

When I first started reloading for my 280 I used a 140 gr Sierra Prohunter with IMR-4831 and took a few hogs and a couple deer where I hunted at near Brunswick GA and they worked great. My go to load now is a 140 AccuBond with IMR-4831. My 280 was so so with 150-160 gr bullets.

H4831 SC and a 139 Hornady BTSP Interlock out of my 7MM Express is the hammer of Thor.

10gaugemag":2so0r1dz said:
Hornady has done a good job discontinuing items that aren't as "modern". I suppose these items aren't big sellers in todays market of wanting longer range tough bullets.

You just don't understand. The bean counters now rule. :( :x They don't care what you want. Ok, rant's off.

I thought I had a box of the 175 gr. Hornady RNs but it seems I don't. One bullet I liked a lot in a 7x57 was Sierra's old 170 gr. RN. Never killed anything with them but they were very accurate. Guess they've been long gone for close to 20 years now. I called them a few years back and their answer was probably never unless there was a very sudden very heavy increase in demand for them. I got lucky and found enough to last me a life time.
Paul B.

On the subject of the .280 Rem. the one I have has been rather reluctant to shoot decent groups with any of the lighter bullets. I tried a run with some old style 160 gr. Speer grand Slams and the rifle liked that one. :roll: They never shot worth spit in my 7x57's. Groups so far have run at one inch or slightly under. Velocity is 2920 FPS average. Brass was nickel plated Winchester, WLR primer and the powder Winchester's long discontinued WMR. (Winchester Magnum Rifle) I have a good supply. 8) I'll be elk hunting later this month and I just might take that .280 along for the ride.
Paul B.

I've had great luck with the 140 gr. Partition and the AccuBond is an awesome bullet also. One might consider the 140 gr. E-tip too! One tough bullet. My son uses that in one of his 6mm Remington's.

I don’t think Nosler makes a hunting Bullet that won’t work. Even the 120 Ballistic Tip is a pretty danged tough bullet.

Good luck with whatever you pick.

PJGunner":3353234i said:
10gaugemag":3353234i said:

You just don't understand. The bean counters now rule. :( :x They don't care what you want. Ok, rant's off.
Paul B.
Exactly why I said they probably aren't big sellers is why they were cut.

Back