69 gr SMK 22-250

thatguySHM

Beginner
Feb 11, 2017
So my Cabela's special 12 FV has been a real copper mine. Shoots great and puts every bullet to almost the exact POI at 100 yards, so I'm not going to rebarrel until I abuse it at least next summer, maybe further if it keeps shooting.

Anyway, I had some David Tubb final finish in 224 dia, and decided that I'd use the remaining five stage 3-5. They are in 69 SMK flavor, so I figured I'd just drill them into the berm and call it a day. Cold and windy today, took out a few rifles that I just wanted velocity readings on for flat spot load devolvement and figured I'd clean the bore a bit on my 22-250. Used CFE223 and a middling load of 34.5, and went shooting. I can't waste time on the range and decided to quickly aim at a target. First round went same exact point of aim, next four within an inch. Cleaned did all that, did stage four with the same results, then decided to put up a new target for stage five, which if I recall correctly is just HBN coated. Those went under half an inch.

They were tighter than the Vmax I usually shoot, but since I developed that load I changed the stock and recoil lug and bedded the rifle, so that will take a bit more tweaking. They are good for this winter coyotes though.

So bottom right is the SMK and center is Vmax. I'm going to grab a box of SMK's and see what they do at 300 next. They are only .016" longer than a 60gr Vmax, so they should work.

Anyone loading these in a 1-12"? Is it just a pipe dream?

SHM

9b3b030516a4705e6bb8f59276ce1916.jpg

Went back out in winter range conditions.
Temp was 19°, slight wind from about 5 o'clock, and I'd be lucky to be above 200' ASL. My rifle will always put the first five from the range trip into one hole. I changed my torque settings a little, and it looks good.

Load was 34.5gr CFE223, 0.030" off the lands for a coal and 2.470", once fired Winchester brass, Sellier and Bellot primers. First group was bottom left, next five into bottom right, them final ten into the center. First five were fired, then I tested two other rifles, shot the next five, same thing, then at the same rate of fire, approximately one every 30-40 seconds I did the last ten.

Next will be to test at 300 yards and chrono.

7fb39659a2aa519db4eaab78dcbc81e0.jpg
d45505096fa7bf73dcbf26e870025fd7.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Looks great to me! No experience with those SMK's or CFE233; once you have an idea on the fps, feel free to plug your data into one of the calculators at - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13938 - and get an idea on if it is a pipe dream or not. Real world results always trump predictions; for example your copper mine of a barrel might not be quite a 1 in 12 twist.

I plan tomorrow or Saturday to get back out and slap the MagSpeed on to shoot a few then punch in the environments and confirm drops at 300 and 450 if I feel like traipsing through the snow to the back bench. It will be interesting none the less.

I had excellent luck with the 65 gr SGK bullets out of a 1/12 over 40grs/414.
Soooooo many folks I spoke with tout that as " the undisputed coyote slayer"
For the 22/250. So I was really hoping but like you was doubting the things
would shoot well. And like you I was very pleasantly surprised and fired a just
over MOA group at 200 yds; so I am stoked. We have about 4" of ice here on the
Lake so may drag a roadkill buck out and get set up for the winter games! Hope
you post how the 69 bullets work on your coyotes, maybe I should try a box?
Good Luck
E

I have about 150 60gr V-max loaded right now and another 50 of the 53gr variety, so it's gonna depend on chrono results. I feel like I'm right on the edge of pressure, but don't have any pressure signs to back that up with. So once I get the velocity I can figure out if it is worth pursuing.

Stretched it out to 300 then 450 today. Chrono for five shots was 3375, SD 13.5. not terrible. From my earlier group, I raised my elevation 1 moa, and .5 left, which would put me 2" high at 100. Aimed dead center, was say two inches low at 300.

Struggled to find steel at 450, connecting on my last two shots. Drop was 6 MOA. From 2" high at 100 for my 60gr Vmax, it needs 4 MOA to hit at 450. Granted it's going 3580 with frozen ammo, so I'll just stick with that. Doesn't strike the plate as hard but that's to be expected.

Will try again in the summer with a better rest. Didn't feel it was best for testing at distance.

baef998741942100d33e4cf155dfaef2.jpg

Back