338 RUM Berger VS Partition

fwood

Beginner
Jul 15, 2011
Ok I know its apples and oranges but not so much. A 250 gr Partition launched at 3020 fps vs a Berger 250 gr elite hunter at 2900 fps. At 500 yards the POI is only 4 inches different but at 1000 yards its almost 21 inches different. The Berger starts to shine past 500, the bc of the Berger is .685 and the Partition is .473. I have a question, with the higher BC in the Berger is the stability of the bullet also better and more accurate at longer ranges than the Partition? I have had great success with the Partition out to 575 yards. I am just looking for something that will shoot well out to 850 assuming that shot presents it self. Both bullets are exceptionally lethal and perform well on elk.

Thanks

Jon

For me, the big advantage of the high BC bullets like the Berger is the greatly reduced wind drift. Check those figures between the Partition and the Berger at long ranges. That reduced wind drift makes hitting easier.

Which one will be more accurate for you and your rifle is hard to predict. Sometimes Partitions are amazingly accurate, but Berger built their reputation on match-winning accuracy.

Run the numbers for the wind drift, and that will likely help with your decision.

Regards, Guy

How about giving the 250 AccuBond a try and see if it's not the best of both worlds. I've had exceptional accuracy out to 400yds with the AccuBond. I have never shot it farther. Its terminal performance is well known.

Well I've never been willing to take a poke on an elk past 500 due in part to using an old school duplex reticle.
I get exceptional accuracy with the 250 grain AccuBond out of my 338 Jarrett at 2925fps. My long shot was 481 on a cow a couple of days ago, both shoulders and out the other side. A few years ago I shot a bull at 30 yards, both shoulders and out the other side. There have been a bunch at distance between those. Kinda hard to find a bullet that works as well as the AccuBond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy makes a very valid point. Drop is easier to account for than wind drift.

I have been fortunate enough to have been around a pile of elk killing. I have seen several elk killed with Partitions, Accubonds, TTSX, ballistic tips, and a few with the vld type bullets. I have only witnessed one elk taken with the 250 vld. First shot was less that a perfect shot, shattered both femers at the center line of the body and exited. Follow up was through front shoulders and exited. Poor shooting aside, i was very impressed with what the 250 VLD did. Not sure how it would have looked at 50 yards though :?

Salmomchaser nailed it with the AccuBond. They are a very reliable bullet. In my opinion they act like a higher bc Partition. While by today's BC hype standards they aren't as sexy as some, they do exactly what they're supposed to and are very much worth consideration. If you really want a "high bc LR" type bullet, take look at the 265 ABLR as well.

We are pretty blessed as shooters with a huge selection of high quality projectiles and propellants! It's amazing how much has changed in the last 10-15 years.

Sorry I haven't been back sooner but I am training again and then the holidays ect. and now back in training in FL for 5 more weeks.

Well this is what it looks like 90g RL25with a 250 Berger elite hunter. I cant get any RL26 yet in southern Colorado, or at least I cant find any. 6 rounds, I flinched on one with out a doubt. I have not put them over a chronograph yet? my guess is around 2900fps +-. I may try some AB long range before I order a turret.

I have never been able to get the 250g AB to shoot.

IMG_2499_Moment.jpg

Where in southern Colorado? I used to live in Salida. The best gun shop I've ever been to is located there, and I'd just about guarantee that they have RL26 in stock. Also, the best shooting range I've ever been to is about 12 minutes north on 285 towards Buena Vista. Part of my work territory included Gunnison, and there's a store in town that used to have a few jugs of RL26, if you happen to be through there.

I would be done testing, at this moment. You have a great bullet, and a very accurate load, you can't ask for much more.

Jason I am out in Ridgway, Montrose is the closest large town. I am going to run these over the trap and see how fast we are going. if I break 2800 I think we have a winner. load development with the rum is like shooting $3 bills.

Ha! No kidding. Big bullets with lots of powder gets expensive.

I remember Ridgway very well. We had a warehouse in Montrose and Telluride was in my company's territory. I also drove through there several times for my own recreational purposes. If one can find good work in Ridgway, that has to be one of the most beautiful places on this Earth to live. I'm jealous.

Back