180 gr Scirocco originals vs the Scirocco II ?

284allways

Beginner
Sep 11, 2017
Looking for advise ..
I am loading up a 300 wby, the load so far is at 3,120fps with Scirocco 180's
Now reading a few posts, FUD has set in ... many say that the originals are prone to breaking up because the metal is too soft. The target will be elk ....
Can anyone give some first hand advise ? Because i have 300 of these little beauties ....Should work in a different bullet ....the II version ?

Never used the originals but the II version stays together. IF it were me I would tend to use the A-Frames. But that is just me.

I used the originals for many, many years in 7RM and 300 WSM. I never saw evidence of the bullet being frangible, never had a bullet fragment. In fact, I can't recall ever recovering a bullet. The Scirocco II works just as well.

The SciroccoII 150 grain worked very well even out of my 7STW at 3350 fps. before I rechambered it to 300 Win Mag. They hold together very well, great retention and expansion. I have used it for large / tough critters like nilgai with complete pass throughs. Normally makes a thumb sized hole on exit.

I would have 0 worries about a Scirocco in an elk. Ran a 210 Scirocco into a bull this fall and I could not be happier with the recovered bullet. Wide expansion and excellent terminal results. It is now one of the bullets I look towards when trying out a new hunting rifle.

If you can get the original 180 Scirocco to shoot in your gun you have a gun you should keep for life! At least my attempts on several rifles were a failure early in the introduction!

I shot 61 wildebeest and gemsbok this past summer in Namibia with my 30-06. I kept a log of bullet performance. The 180 grain Scirocco outperformed the A-frame, Partition, Woodleigh Weldcore, Pro Hunter, Hot Cor and Barnes TTSX. I shot 15 with the Scirocco and 100% penetration. The bullets ranked how they are listed. A-frame second and so on.

"I shot 61 wildebeest and gemsbok this past summer in Namibia with my 30-06."

One of those little tidbits of info that get dropped here from time to time and most people don't seem to notice...

Goodness, sixty one wildebeest & gemsbok!

That amounts to a considerable amount of experience. (y)

Thanks for posting that. Hmmm... Good ol' 30-06 still slaying things real well... Imagine that. :mrgreen:

Guy

Back