Browning BLR 358 Win loads

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Thought I would start a new thread instead of having the original one get real long. Since starting the thread below a decision as been made and a nice Browning BLR and some components made it over here compliments of DrMike.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36799

Of the data that came with the gun I only have Varget to try at this time. I'm open to suggestions but would like to see what I have on hand will do first:

Powder:

IMR 3031
IMR 8208
H 4895
Varget

Bullets:

Hornady 200 gr RN and 200 gr Spire Point (thanks saskboy)
200 gr AccuBond (made up a dummy round @ 2.785" oal and it looks like it will work, hopeful this will be the main hunting load)
200 gr TTSX
225 gr Sierra
225 gr Woodleigh RN (hope this will be my bear protection load for camping)

Not really planning on going heavier than 225 gr, will save those for the Whelen.

Any thoughts?

My go to load is 50.0 gr of W748 and the Speer HotCor 220 gr for 2209 fps (chrony'd) in my BLR that produces 1" groups at 100 yards. (I realize that you do not have those bullets, but Mike may spare some.) Not the fastest load, but no animal shot with this load has complained about its poor performance in almost 15 years! LOL

47.5 gr of W748 and the 225 NP produces 1.2" groups at 100 yards (did not chrony this load, or the following loads).
43.9 gr of IMR 3031 and the Sierra 225 gr load produced 1.1" groups at 100 yards.
49.0 gr of IMR 4895 and the 225 gr TSX load also produced 1.1" groups at 100 yards.

He undoubtedly shared his recipe for the 200 gr TSX that will produce 0.3" groups in that rifle.

Yes he did send that data and I'll see if I can come close to matching it. The rest of the loads produced some fine accuracy as well, it looks like the gun is a shooter and finding a good load should be fairly easy. Eventually I would like to try the 180 gr Speer for deer hunting and also try the 220 gr version as well for an all around load.

Gerry, I run 52 grains of W748 with a 225 Partition. It runs 2450 from my little BLR..

I need to break it out and warm it up a little. I hear TAC is real good as is 10X with 200's.

Made up some dummy rounds and checked them in the rifle, they all cycled through nicely.

38758785305_2e6145a9e5_z.jpg
[/url]

From left to right including over all length

200 gr Hornady Round Nose - 2.735"
200 gr Hornady Spire Point - 2.740"
200 gr Barnes TTSX - 2. 785" (this one takes up the most room in the case)
200 gr AccuBond - 2.790" (more on this below)
225 gr Sierra BTSP 2.785"
225 gr Woodleigh Round Nose - 2. 768" (might load it out to 2.785" still)

A lot of people say that you can't use the 200 gr AccuBond bullets in the BLR because they are too long and in a sense they are right. At 2.790" the bullet measures .356" at the case mouth so a small part of the ogive is in the neck. There is still plenty of neck to hold the bullet and I still could go a bit deeper if necessary. Not much wiggle room to fine tune the load but it's worth a try since AccuBond bullets usually like a jump anyway. Besides I have 400 of them sitting here :)

The plan is to make sure the 225 gr Woodleigh load is sighted in with the iron sights and after that we will see how things play out. Just trying to decide if the gun will get the 6x36 Leupold or I steal the Burris 2-7x35 FF II off of another gun. If it's the latter scope for this first time in my life not a single rifle in the house will be sighted in :shock:

Need to get shooting soon..........

Has anyone worked with IMR 8208 and the 200 gr Hornady SP and AccuBond and the 225 gr Sierra and Woodleigh RN bullets?

It should work well in the 358 Win but there isn't a lot of data out there.

47grs and 50grs of H4895 both shot very nice out of my BLR with the 200gr Hornady RN and SP. THe RN actually shot tighter groups.

225 grain PT, H4895 46.5 grains @ 2430 fps.
200 grain Spire point, H4895 46.0 grains @ 2470 fps, group 5/8".
200 grain Spire point, H4895 47.0 grains @ 2520 fps, group 1 1/8".
Rem 700SA, Shilen #3 20.5" barrel, Glass bedded free floated, Action squared up.

I have used the 225 gr Hawk RT .030" jacket. Works great but I can only get it to 2340 fps. I can not get enough Varget in a 358 win case to do squat but it works magic in my 22 hornet and 7/8 ounce loads in a 28 gauge. IMR 8208 seem interesting and TAC with large rifle MAG primers gets rave revues. I have some 225 GK's loaded up with H4895 to test (work up loads). I would love to see a Bonded Solid Base spitzer about 215 grs or Fussion for cheaper deer bullet made for the 358WIN. Add in pulse pressure data for BLR's and bolts.

Looks like a lot of love for H 4895 so far, thanks guys.

If you are going to buy some powder check out TAC and the Vihtavuori line. I have yet to use TAC myself but will get around to it. I won't post data as I'm using an unpublished load of N133. There is load data for N135 that i have used and it is an excellent choice for the 358. I only used N133 because I couldn't find N135. I have loaded 200gr Hornadys, and 225gr Sierras and Partitions. Both 225s use the same charge and group together right at an inch @ 100yds out of my BLR. First two touching and the third out a bit. Zeroed with the top of the 225gr load just under 3" high the 200gr Hornadys tear out the bull. I have found I can't get enough extra velocity using 200gr bullets to make up for the greater BC of the 225s. 250s might be good for bears in the thickets but otherwise aren't really needed. Good Luck.

If available also try out Norma powder, the 201 powder suits 358win with bullet weights 200-250 gr quite well.
5cc5647dec4f33f608292df57f847b27.jpg

The 225 Game King is my preferred bullet, works great and shoots really well in my rifle.
Last weekend a hog from 40 yards.
4b1892a054a25a98e76cc0596dda1bfa.jpg

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Sam and cvm thanks for the info, there are some good loads here. Hope to finally get to shoot the thing in the next few days :)

cvm, that is an interesting looking gun you have there. I know you said positive things about the Sierra 225 gr, have you shot anything with the North Fork pictured? Nice looking hog by the way.

Well, I shot the rifle today and it looks like the iron sights are pretty close to being on, I rough zeroed the scope as well. I was trying to shoot a ladder but the chronograph just wasn't working properly. I have had that before in the winter here, it just doesn't get light enough it seems with the gloomy light. That part was pretty disappointing but the gun went bang and everything looked good.

On a side note I'm glad I never got a 450 Marlin in a BLR, the little 358 was pretty nice but I can just imagine the recoil on a 450 :lol: would have been lively :)

Next time out I'll shoot for groups and abandon the ladder idea for now.

Thanks Gerry!
During load development for both the North Fork and Game King I became so impressed with how well the Game Kings performs so I settled on using that. A hunting buddy uses North Fork and he is satisfied with both performance and precision but my rifle seem to shoot better with the Sierra bullet. Luckily for me the Game King is the cheaper alternative[emoji3]

The gun is an old rebarreled Tikka LSA 55 (308win) and it has become my favourite, topped with a Kahles CT 2-7x36 it is true all round gun.
For true driven hunt situations I can switch to a Aimpoint but I tend to use the scope more often.
Picture of the Gun in ”driven Hunt mode” taken at the range one of those days you wished you stayed at home...
6496cea704d693139339fc74fb38149e.jpg

That's a beautiful rifle, it's nice to see something other than the typical North American gun. Thanks for the additional bullet information, I can't wait to get some good loads for mine and get it out hunting. I hope you don't mind me asking but it looks like from your signature at the bottom of your post you are from Sweden.

Glad you are getting started with your 358 Gerry.. You are slowly motivating me to get mine out...

cvm":2wrp3cpd said:
Thanks Gerry!
During load development for both the North Fork and Game King I became so impressed with how well the Game Kings performs so I settled on using that. A hunting buddy uses North Fork and he is satisfied with both performance and precision but my rifle seem to shoot better with the Sierra bullet. Luckily for me the Game King is the cheaper alternative[emoji3]

The gun is an old rebarreled Tikka LSA 55 (308win) and it has become my favourite, topped with a Kahles CT 2-7x36 it is true all round gun.
For true driven hunt situations I can switch to a Aimpoint but I tend to use the scope more often.
Picture of the Gun in ”driven Hunt mode” taken at the range one of those days you wished you stayed at home...
6496cea704d693139339fc74fb38149e.jpg

CVM, a good looking rifle. Tikka's are just alright in my book, and I do have quite a few Kahles scopes. Looks like a winning combination to me. Then, the .358 Win is truly a "win" in my book. In all, a great setup for a driven hunt, or for stalking in the deep woods.

CVM, I forgot to mention, awesome rifle and it looks tailor made for what you are doing with it.

I initially had decent (actually good) results using TAC with 225 gr. NP's with Winchester WLR primers in my Ruger M77 358 Win. However, I've since had issues trying to duplicate the accuracy of the load in subsequent range sessions. I'm in the process of trying a slightly reduced load of TAC with 225 gr. Sierra GameKings, this time using WLR Mag primers with TAC. Sierra GameKings have proven to be very accurate in other calibers I've tried them in. I'm wanting to see if I can get tighter groups and maintain them for longer than one season. If I can, I will try the load with with NP's. I will use which ever bullet that is the most accurate for all my hunting needs. The 358 Win is my favorite caliber and, I currently reload for 10 different calibers.

Back