New Speer reloading data

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Saw this today and took a look at a couple of cartridges I'm loading for. Some haven't been updated but the 358 Win has some new data and it looks like the 35 Whelen has been totally updated with some excellent loads. A quick look shows some new 6.5x55 and 270 win loads especially with the new Alliant powders.

https://www.speer-ammo.com/en/reloading/rifle

Perhaps this portends a new hand loading manual. Good stuff.

And sure enough, as I look a little farther, there is an updated manual.

ATK almost completely destroyed them so I hope they come back in a serious way, they were my go to bullets before they went off the rails and I ended up switching to Nosler mostly.

With the 35 Whelen they list some new powders that get some serious speed, 4 loads with their 220 that break 2740 fps comfortably and one even at 2826 fps. With the 250's 3 loads over 2600 fps and one of them even listed at 2709 fps! Looks like I'll have to give CFE 223, Alliant Powder Pro 2000- MR, and Alliant Powder Pro Varmint a good look.

RL 26 in the 6.5x55 is very impressive with 140's.

Nice to see load data listing RL26 for the 6.5 cartridges, I have been testing the 6.5 CM for a year now 1200 rounds, 4 bullet weights, 3 different primers, 2 barrel lengths, without HBN to begin with and with HBN after first 200 rounds.
Nice to see the data they have on the RL26 is the same as my QL shows for a bullet of that type, the 140 GD high BC.
RL26 shows a 4.31% increase in speed, QL shows it to be doing it with 5K less pressure than H4350 so that's 9.26% less pressure with 4.31% speed increase.

gerry":yojpndma said:
ATK almost completely destroyed them so I hope they come back in a serious way, they were my go to bullets before they went off the rails and I ended up switching to Nosler mostly.

With the 35 Whelen they list some new powders that get some serious speed, 4 loads with their 220 that break 2740 fps comfortably and one even at 2826 fps. With the 250's 3 loads over 2600 fps and one of them even listed at 2709 fps! Looks like I'll have to give CFE 223, Alliant Powder Pro 2000- MR, and Alliant Powder Pro Varmint a good look.

RL 26 in the 6.5x55 is very impressive with 140's.

Yes and they list it with strong commercial action and Mauser Military Actions, so you can load the 6.5 x 55 Swede to higher pressures in modern rifles.

Is this online data a new thing? Never noticed Speer online before, I thought they were proprietary.

Also noted their 6.5x55 Swedish data is really conservative. Their modern action loads are well below most manuals loads tested in the M96 action.

bowfishn":1yube44b said:
Nice to see load data listing RL26 for the 6.5 cartridges, I have been testing the 6.5 CM for a year now 1200 rounds, 4 bullet weights, 3 different primers, 2 barrel lengths, without HBN to begin with and with HBN after first 200 rounds.
Nice to see the data they have on the RL26 is the same as my QL shows for a bullet of that type, the 140 GD high BC.
RL26 shows a 4.31% increase in speed, QL shows it to be doing it with 5K less pressure than H4350 so that's 9.26% less pressure with 4.31% speed increase.

I never tried the RL-26 in the 6.5 CM, what is the level of the powder in the case if using a drop tube with RL-26 with a 140 gr. bullet? I am sure its higher than the shoulder / neck junction. Powder crush is that bad? I like to try RL-26 someday, should work for my magnum rifles and for my little 6.5 CM.

TackDriver284":2fcfoags said:
bowfishn":2fcfoags said:

I never tried the RL-26 in the 6.5 CM, what is the level of the powder in the case if using a drop tube with RL-26 with a 140 gr. bullet? I am sure its higher than the shoulder / neck junction. Powder crush is that bad? I like to try RL-26 someday, should work for my magnum rifles and for my little 6.5 CM.
In a 6.5 Creedmoor it can get quite full if you are going toward the upper end. I find anything over what QL says is 106% starts to get alot of compression and yes I use a drop tube to make it easier. Also it depends upon powder lot, some have a higher burn rate factor so it takes less for results. I use HBN coated bullets and can get average of 2998 fps with 143 ELD-X out of my 26" barrel.

That’s pretty danged good looking data.

26 and the 6.5 Swede are amazing. Accurate and 2900 with 140 Accubonds.

I dig that 2700 data for the Whelen.. might be time to get that out and tuned up!

Back