New Speer Gold Dot 6.5 mm bullet

Good to see that they weren't totally ravaged by ATK. This may account for why we've witnessed Tipped TBBC bullets showing up recently.

Oh boy I like Speer bullets too! Impressive list of powder data also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland48":1ii2nmjx said:

I noticed that too in the 6.5 Creedmoor data, some serious speed with those new 140's.

gerry":3npbgzxo said:
Cleveland48":3npbgzxo said:

I noticed that too in the 6.5 Creedmoor data, some serious speed with those new 140's.
Yep some actual RL26 data too! And some other powders I have locally that I have never tried. Definitely bookmarking this thread, and thanks for posting this Gerry!

After seeing all the great groups you get with your Howa I bet you find a good load quick. That gun is a real shooter.

Interesting. I know super sleek bullets are all the rage, but I still wish they'd bring back the 7mm and .308 Mag Tip.

Polaris":2y7jou0m said:
Interesting. I know super sleek bullets are all the rage, but I still wish they'd bring back the 7mm and .308 Mag Tip.

Me too! I had a lot of hopes for their DeepCurl bullet, but it's vanished after a short run.

gerry":bujt3jj9 said:
After seeing all the great groups you get with your Howa I bet you find a good load quick. That gun is a real shooter.
Thanks Gerry! I’ll be looking for some of these these to try soon.

Polaris":3hiuqvky said:

The 180 gr 308 Mag Tip was one of the best bullets I have used and the price was right on them as well. They performed about as well as the Grand Slam but at 60% the cost.

gerry":31gocp7u said:
Polaris":31gocp7u said:

The 180 gr 308 Mag Tip was one of the best bullets I have used and the price was right on them as well. They performed about as well as the Grand Slam but at 60% the cost.

The 150 was a real deer hammer too. Used them from .300 Sav to full house 30-06 speeds and got similar performance across the board. Great accuracy too. I'm down to about 100 of them left that I cherish and use solely for hunting loads and a quick zero check. Another casualty of the theoretical 500 yard shots everybody thinks they should be taking. In reality, even the mediocre bc of these bullets was plenty good to 300 yards at .308 speeds or greater.

Polaris":cxji2cku said:
gerry":cxji2cku said:
Polaris":cxji2cku said:
Another casualty of the theoretical 500 yard shots everybody thinks they should be taking. In reality, even the mediocre bc of these bullets was plenty good to 300 yards at .308 speeds or greater.

Yeah, with the current long range craze "B.C. numbers" are the new "muzzle velocity" for marketing types.

Not saying BC and MV don't matter...but for the average guy out hunting big game, they matter a lot less than folks think and certainly a lot less than we're sold on.

Despite all the chatter I hear about long range hunting, the number of folks I know who can spot game and make 500 yard first round hits is pretty small and fewer still will even try it. Most of these guys would be better off with a better performing "100 yard" bullet and plenty of trigger time over something that looks like a #2 pencil stuck in a case!

hodgeman":10jz7yao said:
Polaris":10jz7yao said:
gerry":10jz7yao said:
Polaris":10jz7yao said:
Another casualty of the theoretical 500 yard shots everybody thinks they should be taking. In reality, even the mediocre bc of these bullets was plenty good to 300 yards at .308 speeds or greater.

Yeah, with the current long range craze "B.C. numbers" are the new "muzzle velocity" for marketing types.

Not saying BC and MV don't matter...but for the average guy out hunting big game, they matter a lot less than folks think and certainly a lot less than we're sold on.

Despite all the chatter I hear about long range hunting, the number of folks I know who can spot game and make 500 yard first round hits is pretty small and fewer still will even try it. Most of these guys would be better off with a better performing "100 yard" bullet and plenty of trigger time over something that looks like a #2 pencil stuck in a case!
Very true! My load this year in the 6.5 CM only has a b.c. Of .398 which is terrible for a 6.5 mm projectile lol. I can count on one had how many Deer I’ve taken at 300 yards and still have a few fingers left over haha. Honestly most of my shots are from powder burn ranges to 200 yards. I’m still a big fan of exposed lead tip bullets in the 6.5’s I’ve used over the years. Really hard to go wrong with a Gameking, Interlock, Hot cor, or even the old corlokts and power points for Deer where I live.

I hear guys say “BC doesn’t matter to most folks” all the time.... and it kinda rubs me the wrong way. It does matter.... in a game of inches... ALL the inches matter.

First.... it’s easy for guys to say it doesn’t matter... when they hunt hardwoods from a tree stand.... et all. Out here.... the wind can easily be blowing 20+... and there ain’t but four trees in the 65 square miles you can see. Even 200 yard shots aren’t simple in 27 mph crosswinds... I’ll take all the help I can get at that point.

Also.... is it just me, or is it a bit ironic.... that the guys most concerned about BC, are the guys with the LEAST to lose on a very small “miss”? When competitive shooters miss a plate.... it may cost them a plaque, or a scope off the prize table. When hunters miss their “plate” by a mere inch or two (regardless of range), it may cost them miles of tracking, hours of suffering (both critter and hunter), spoiled meat, and the “trophy of a lifetime”. Small misses can make ALL the difference between success and terrible failure.... hedge your bets in every way possible.

BC isn’t the ultimate deciding factor, the bullet needs to do the job at hand.... but, if you can buy a couple inches of wind.... even at 300 yards... why wouldn’t you?

Songdog":mzkgasxj said:
I hear guys say “BC doesn’t matter to most folks” all the time.... and it kinda rubs me the wrong way. It does matter.... in a game of inches... ALL the inches matter.

First.... it’s easy for guys to say it doesn’t matter... when they hunt hardwoods from a tree stand.... et all. Out here.... the wind can easily be blowing 20+... and there ain’t but four trees in the 65 square miles you can see. Even 200 yard shots aren’t simple in 27 mph crosswinds... I’ll take all the help I can get at that point.

Also.... is it just me, or is it a bit ironic.... that the guys most concerned about BC, are the guys with the LEAST to lose on a very small “miss”? When competitive shooters miss a plate.... it may cost them a plaque, or a scope off the prize table. When hunters miss their “plate” by a mere inch or two (regardless of range), it may cost them miles of tracking, hours of suffering (both critter and hunter), spoiled meat, and the “trophy of a lifetime”. Small misses can make ALL the difference between success and terrible failure.... hedge your bets in every way possible.

BC isn’t the ultimate deciding factor, the bullet needs to do the job at hand.... but, if you can buy a couple inches of wind.... even at 300 yards... why wouldn’t you?

Agreed. I think your point earlier on about picking the AccuBond vs the higher BC’ed AMax was a pretty good example. No sense in tossing rocks but if the bullet won’t do what you want when it smacks it intended target since no amount of BC will make it better.

Song Dog,
Many people don't hunt in the wide open spaces typical of the western U.S. Many that do like to stalk closer anyway, the amount of people that shoot past 300 yards is pretty small when you look at all North American hunters. It's a free country so you are able to use whatever you like and so are other people. This is a thread about the newly introduced Speer Gold Dot bullets, not about long range shooting anyway.

gerry":wbcfnxqi said:
Song Dog,
Many people don't hunt in the wide open spaces typical of the western U.S. Many that do like to stalk closer anyway, the amount of people that shoot past 300 yards is pretty small when you look at all North American hunters. It's a free country so you are able to use whatever you like and so are other people. This is a thread about the newly introduced Speer Gold Dot bullets, not about long range shooting anyway.

Agree. And it's up to the shooter to decide if it's a good idea to pull the trigger on an animal in 30 knot wind. No one forces us to do it.

Good to see some more info out there. I like the 250 Hot Cores for 35 Whelen and the 180's are a poor mans Partition in .30 cal.

Back