10-shot load development begin, 30-06, Ramshot Hunter

joelkdouglas

Handloader
Jun 5, 2011
I tried Ramshot Hunter in my 30-06 about 4 or 5 years ago and put it aside because I saw some pretty big temperature swings with it. Really that was because I worked up a load at 95 deg F in Louisiana and shot the same load over a chrony at -5 deg F in Kansas. That's a big temp swing for any powder.

In Louisiana I saw really good accuracy with the Hunter, and I wanted to work up a load with 180 grain bullets for elk here in Wyoming. I'm hoping for similar accuracy.

I also noted the new 10-shot load development concept, and I have a Magnetospeed already.

I did some work with two bullets, the 178 Hornady ELD-X and the 180 Nosler Partition. I'm still not sure whether I would try the ELD-X on an elk, I've read a lot of mixed reviews. Of course the PT is the gold standard.

Opinion on the charge amount I should go forward with:
178 Hornady ELD-X
Lapua Brass (previously fired / resized)
CCI 250 primer
Ramshot Hunter

Grains Velocity
57.4 2760
57.6 2780
57.8 2790
58.0 2765
58.2 2810
58.4 2834
58.6 2820
58.8 2828
59.0 2837
59.2 2831
59.4 2847

I shot a smaller sample of PTs because the 58-59 load area looked like a good place to test, and (mostly) because I had to get to work:
180 Nosler Partition
Nosler Brass (previously fired / resized)
CCI 250 primer
Ramshot Hunter

Charge Velocity
58.0 2774
58.2 2788
58.4 2805
58.6 2807
58.8 2826
59.0 2810

Opinions?

Also, would you shoot an elk with the Hornady 178 ELD-X?

I would lean towards a known quantity and use the NP rather than the ELD. Two friends took Elk in 2017 with SST's, most stuff works the question is how well they handle "problems".

58.5 grains with the NP looks like a potentially sweet node to me. 59 grains looks to be hot, but limited data points don't always tell the whole story. Not really sure what to say on the ELD velocities, like the 59 grain NP velocity drop the ELD drop at 58.6 grains might be a fluke... No QL to compare against...

Can't argue w 58.5 or so on the PT at all.
The ELDX appears to have two pretty broad ones. Starting load to 58, then from 58.4-59.2. So around 58.8 on the second one if you don't have any pressure issues?
You didn't mention if the top load in the PT was showing any pressure signs or not.
Since you asked, I have a bias about unbonded or cup and core bullets on big stuff. I know they were used for years to kill stuff and did ok but I like the PT or a bonded bullet. Just the way I roll I guess. :grin:

Joel,
FWIW, my vote is to stay with the proven Partition. I don't have any experience with the ELDX. But you know it goes beyond the velocity and how good it does on paper. You already know what the reputation is of the proven Partition when it encounters bone on an Elk sized animal. I would load some of the ELDX loads up and put them thru some simulated stress, penetration testing at the range. I've used soaked newspaper with inserted plywood pieces and other materials in the past to convince myself the bullet I was working with at the time would work. My testing was done at 100 yards in the past during testing.

I've tested some 165 loads with Ramshot Hunter a few years ago. I got some incredible velocities but elected to go with H-4350 instead. Hunter is a good powder in my opinion. Your loads look good I like the Partition 58.8 load.

Blessings,
Don

joelkdouglas":f9ucxdtx said:
I tried Ramshot Hunter in my 30-06 about 4 or 5 years ago and put it aside because I saw some pretty big temperature swings with it. Really that was because I worked up a load at 95 deg F in Louisiana and shot the same load over a chrony at -5 deg F in Kansas. That's a big temp swing for any powder.

In Louisiana I saw really good accuracy with the Hunter, and I wanted to work up a load with 180 grain bullets for elk here in Wyoming. I'm hoping for similar accuracy.

I also noted the new 10-shot load development concept, and I have a Magnetospeed already.

I did some work with two bullets, the 178 Hornady ELD-X and the 180 Nosler Partition. I'm still not sure whether I would try the ELD-X on an elk, I've read a lot of mixed reviews. Of course the PT is the gold standard.

Opinion on the charge amount I should go forward with:
178 Hornady ELD-X
Lapua Brass (previously fired / resized)
CCI 250 primer
Ramshot Hunter

Grains Velocity
57.4 2760
57.6 2780
57.8 2790
58.0 2765
58.2 2810
58.4 2834
58.6 2820
58.8 2828
59.0 2837
59.2 2831
59.4 2847

I shot a smaller sample of PTs because the 58-59 load area looked like a good place to test, and (mostly) because I had to get to work:
180 Nosler Partition
Nosler Brass (previously fired / resized)
CCI 250 primer
Ramshot Hunter

Charge Velocity
58.0 2774
58.2 2788
58.4 2805
58.6 2807
58.8 2826
59.0 2810

Opinions?

Also, would you shoot an elk with the Hornady 178 ELD-X?

58.4 - 59.4 is a good looking node to work with the 178’s Joel’s.

58.4-59 is the node for the 180 Partitions.

I’d not feel comfortable with the 178’s personally. I know they would work but I’d rather not chance it for Elk. Deer, yup, all day long.

2800 looks excellent though for both loads. I might have to bring an 06 along one of these day :lol:

Oh, if you get a good load for the Partition I’ll send you some 180 Bitterroots if you promise to have one in the pipe for the Elk hunt. Pretty sure 20 of them would last you a few years!

Interesting comment about the temperature sensitivity of Ramshot Hunter. That has not been my experience but I don't go out to shoot at -5F. I have shot my Sako 30-06 in temps that range from about 93 to 20 degrees and see little variation.
It looks like the 58.5 is a "sweet-spot" for your rifle. By-the-way, what was the barrel length on your rifle?
On elk (which is primarily what I hunt) my bullets of choice are Accubonds, Partition, and Hornady's Interbond. I primarily use 165 bullets with 60.0 grains of hunter @ an average of 2887 fps from a 22 inch barrel.

Thanks all for your comments!

Dwh no pressure signs. I’m still about a grain below Ramshot’s max of 60 grains, but I would run out of case capacity first.

270elk I was also surprised about the velocity swing with my earlier batch of Hunter. I wondered if I got a weird batch, when I got it it was on super sale.

Also, 24 inch Bartlein barrel. It’s the second Bartlein and fifth cut-rifled barrel I’ve had. Seems normal to be able to push them predictably up to max without any problems. And the Springfield has a low SAAMI pressure standard compared to other rounds.

I agree with all your comments about the 180 PT. Great bullet, and I have several hundred acquired from SPS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I messed around a bit with Hunter a few years ago, with some 180 & 185 gr bullets, but then abandoned the quest.

Only gave it up because I had merely been curious, and my H4350 loads were doing just fine.

I've still got about a pound and a half of Ramshot, as well as some loaded ammo from a few years ago. I ought to haul it out to the range. Took a look at a 30-06 article John Barsness authored, and he had some great results from Ramshot hunter.

One bullet I'm mildly interested in for longish range shooting is the 185 gr Berger VLD. If I could get an accurate load at 2750 - 2800 fps, that could be pretty slick!

A fun project, but it won't likely replace H4350 and Nosler bullets in my rifle.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":1o8mitiu said:
Interesting. I messed around a bit with Hunter a few years ago, with some 180 & 185 gr bullets, but then abandoned the quest.

Only gave it up because I had merely been curious, and my H4350 loads were doing just fine.

I've still got about a pound and a half of Ramshot, as well as some loaded ammo from a few years ago. I ought to haul it out to the range. Took a look at a 30-06 article John Barsness authored, and he had some great results from Ramshot hunter.

One bullet I'm mildly interested in for longish range shooting is the 185 gr Berger VLD. If I could get an accurate load at 2750 - 2800 fps, that could be pretty slick!

A fun project, but it won't likely replace H4350 and Nosler bullets in my rifle.

Regards, Guy

Guy what velocity do you get with the H4350 and 180s?

2800 fps with H4350 & 180's, 24" barrel

well, just looked in my notes and it was actually 2795 fps.... :grin:

Guy

Just to chime in here with Guy, I'm getting 2788 fps with 180 BT and H4350. Mine is from a Rem 700 22" barrel. I kinda like H-4350 powder! :mrgreen: I'm using win cases, CCI-250 mag. primers with the bullet seated out close to length of magazine. 59.0 grains.

Don

Thanks! I have a good amount of H4350, I will give it a try also

And when I get bored in the field I can just look at it to be entertained! I will have up to four elk tags this year depending on how everything falls out. I don't think I will have four elk tags worth of hunting time, but at least some options.

Between this one and the still coming 7 Mashburn I would love to kill at least two elk!

vuVgw08.jpg

joelkdouglas":3d8mqcge said:
And when I get bored in the field I can just look at it to be entertained! I will have up to four elk tags this year depending on how everything falls out. I don't think I will have four elk tags worth of hunting time, but at least some options.

Between this one and the still coming 7 Mashburn I would love to kill at least two elk!

vuVgw08.jpg
That wood is simply stunning! Oh my I’m jealous.

Yesterday a trip to the range with Hunter and 180 PTs resulted in so-so accuracy at 200 yards, a 2.5 inch 5-shot group. I went back again today and a similar test resulted in a 4-inch group.

But I have plenty of H4350 and 180 Accubonds too—I have to switch to some other powder with Accubonds because the case is too full with Ramshot Hunter to seat the Accubonds off the lands very far. I can seat a 180 AccuBond 0.075 off the lands with 57 grains of H4350, using a drop tube.

Wish I had a range out back so I could step outside and see how they shoot!

Back