H1000 vs RL22 300 Win Mag 180AB

Ranger1911

Beginner
Jan 24, 2018
I have a M48 western that I am about to start reloading for. I have seen numerous messages and discussions about RL22 with 180 AB's. I am curious as to why everyone prefers the RL 22 vice the H1000 when Nosler recommends their most accurate load was the H1000? I appreciate your feedback. Thank you

Welcome aboard, Ranger. I don't know that everyone recommends RL22 over H1000. RL22 did seem to be somewhat more readily available in the past. I would suppose that is a factor in any preference that may have been noted.

Excuse my generalization, bad habit.

I never thought about the availability of powder. Thanks

Second question, I have read, on the internet and you can't put anything that isn't true on the internet, about RL 22 having issues with temperature swings. Especially on the colder side. I understand all powders react differently at different temperatures, is H1000 a more stable powder in your opinion? Or is there any advantage in using either of the powders?

They all are in some fashion going to have velocity changes due to temp. from high to low. Some like the Hodgdon Extreme powders have the least amount in fps swings due to changes in temp. So yes H1000 is better in temp changes, and a lot of guys use it in their 300WM that I know, although they are using heavier bullets, i.e. 208-215.

If you're shooting under 600 yards the change would be so small that it would not cause a miss if that helps answer your question which powder to use? I'd use the one that shows the smallest SD in group size vs. what some say that XXX powder is not temp stable.

I shoot in some rather extreme weather (down to -40 C, though seldom above +15 C). I've not found the issue of temperature sensitivity to be serious. However, I seldom take shots beyond 300 yards. Do I measure velocity changes? Of course! Have they ever caused a miss? Not in my experience.

Welcome aboard Ranger!

The fellas have given you some great advice. I’ve used 22, 25, H1000, 7828, and probably a few others in the 300 Win with a bunch of Bullets.

The best way to KNOW what your gun and load does at the extremes is to shoot it. That seems like the best danged way to really know how your loads and equipment will perform.

And we can forget to mention 4350 in its IMR and H flavors

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I did the load development for new 300 Win Mag, RL-22 was my first powder and stuck with it using 180 Accubonds, love the way to shoots at 300 yards. It pushes it fast too. 3,175 fps with 74.4 grains. It's so accurate that I even forgot that its sensitive to temp. :grin: I don't think its much of an issue.

mjcmichigan":lr8vh3pj said:
And we can forget to mention 4350 in its IMR and H flavors
I load 200's in the Winny with H1000 but prefer a faster powder for the 180's. Currently using IMR4350 with good results for NBTs.

Thanks for the replies again. My next and last assignment will likely be to either Colorado or Alaska. Here in El Paso, low temps are definitely not the problem. Higher temps for sure. I am really looking for a good powder that will perform well here for Oryx, and either Alaska or Colorado for deer, elk, moose, caribou etc. I will likely just get a pound of both H1000 and RL-22 and see what my rifle likes. Thank you very much for the replies. RLTW

RL26 is an AWESOME option as well. Not sure you have it around you but it should be amazing in your 300 as well.

I’m a big fan of H1000, I’ve burned a lot of it. I will not use RL22 ever again, too many issues in temp swings I’ve seen first hand.

Ranger1911":2raz14lv said:
I have a M48 western that I am about to start reloading for. I have seen numerous messages and discussions about RL22 with 180 AB's. I am curious as to why everyone prefers the RL 22 vice the H1000 when Nosler recommends their most accurate load was the H1000? I appreciate your feedback. Thank you
I have shot both w/ similar great results in my .300 w/ the 180 tip. try both. one may shine in your rifle. I reached 3,100 FPS.

Back