Reloader 17 for 7mm-08

tecumseh

Handloader
Oct 20, 2010
Got a pound of Relaoder 17 over the weekend to try in my 7mm-08 with 150 gt BT and PT. Anyone have good results using this powder in this caliber? The Hornady manual shows the burn rate between IMR & H4350 and Ramshot hunter.

RL-17 is all I use in my 7mm-08. My bullet of choice is 140 VLD from Berger though. I found it to be good speed and low ES with my load. It will be your favorite for your 7mm-08 guaranteed.

I used RL17 when I had a 7-08 with 140's to 168's. It should give more speed than probably any other powder with those bullet weights. The only contenders might be the new RL16 and RL26.

I was able to push those 140 Berger over 3000 fps and 162/168's over 2700 from a 22" barrel without any hint of pressure signs. It was accurate with 162's, but my rifle didn't like the Bergers and I didn't play with the LRAB too much before the rifle went down the road.

I'm working with RL16 in my 7mm-08 myself. Seems promising, but I haven't tried RL17 and probably won't.

I found good accuracy but pedestrian velocity with Reloader 17 using 140 Partitions out of a Tikka T3. I switched to Big Game and used Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primers and got slightly better accuracy and significantly better velocity.
I use Big Game exclusively in my 7mm-08s as well as a couple I load for family. My current favorite features the 150 ELDX, which accounted for 3 mule deer bucks and a nice 5x6 bull.
As an added bonus, Big Game is very temperature stable.

P

I've not used Reloder 17 in my Tikka T3 7-08 but I'm am getting ready to try Ramshot Big Game with 140 grain Trophy Bonded Tip's and Ramshot Hunter under 160 grain Sierra GameKings. I will be using Western's published data. I am especially interested in getting to the range with the 160 SGK's as my rifle has a 1:9.5 twist and is fairly accurate with heavier 156 gr. Norma Oryx's I've tried. Sierra GameKings have shown to be really accurate in several other rifles I own.

Biggs358":3ctud800 said:
I've not used Reloder 17 in my Tikka T3 7-08 but I'm am getting ready to try Ramshot Big Game with 140 grain Trophy Bonded Tip's and Ramshot Hunter under 160 grain Sierra GameKings. I will be using Western's published data. I am especially interested in getting to the range with the 160 SGK's as my rifle has a 1:9.5 twist and is fairly accurate with heavier 156 gr. Norma Oryx's I've tried. Sierra GameKings have shown to be really accurate in several other rifles I own.

No one around here carries Big Game or Hunter around here. My Savage model 16 has the same twist as yours and I’ve Been getting pretty good results with 150 gr Ballistic Tips and mixed results with the PT. That 160 gr Gameking should be the goods at 08 velocities.

Tecumseh, I've had to hard to finding some Ramshot powders here in OK. I use Ramshot Big Game for my 9.3x62 (and soon for 7mm-08) and TAC for my 358 Win. I just picked up a pound of Hunter that was the last one at the store. I'm looking for another pound or two of Big Game. I will try and let everyone know how Hunter works with the 160 grain Sierra's; at least accuracy-wise. I really like the accuracy of Sierra bullets I have tried and may even overlook core separation and/or limited penetration (if they present the "problem") for type of hunting I do.

Ramshot powders meter so well in my RCBS Chargemaster and Lee Classic powder measure. Based on the accuracy success I've had with these powders in my 9.3x62 and 358 Win, I will probably pay those ugly fees to get them shipped, if I can't find them locally.

Back