Back to the range with 30-06 and RL26

EastTNHunter

Beginner
May 10, 2017
2875fps out of a 22” barrel with 180 Accubonds is more than impressive. I’m going to load up some more to test out in different conditions over time.

7B6C774E-6DBF-47B2-9EEB-0AB740C244B9.jpeg

Very impressive, indeed. I believe that load will work. It has everything--velocity, accuracy and a great bullet. What's not to like.

Forgive my ignorance but is reloader26 a newer powder? I don't recall seeing it in any of my reloading books.

My 3006 with a 24 inch barrel gets about 2775 fps with 62 gr. Max charge of r22 with the 180 AccuBond. So you squeaked out 100 fps more with a 2 inch shorter barrel with r26. Not bad. I might have to give that a try.

Where did you find load charts for the 3006 with r 26? I checked their website and they don't have a recipe for 3006 with r 26

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ShamrockShooter":tgzu21wx said:
Forgive my ignorance but is reloader26 a newer powder? I don't recall seeing it in any of my reloading books.

My 3006 with a 24 inch barrel gets about 2775 fps with 62 gr. Max charge of r22 with the 180 AccuBond. So you squeaked out 100 fps more with a 2 inch shorter barrel with r26. Not bad. I might have to give that a try.

Where did you find load charts for the 3006 with r 26? I checked their website and they don't have a recipe for 3006 with r 26

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yes, RL26 is a new powder from Alliant. Not a ton of data available yet, but Dr Mike graciously ran a QL for me to use for load development. This is about 125fps faster than I’ve been able to get out of I4350

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37080

Have you noticed and difference in recoil from the former powder to the present RL26 ? More or less?
Also, what primer is used with your load ?

Thanks,
Don

I’m using CCI 200s, and I was surprised that there was no discernible difference when shooting the different loads from the bench. Of course, they’re all powder puffs compared to the Tikka T3 light that I recently traded.

Thanks for the reply. You certainly have a terrific load there. The velocity is amazing considering the 22" barrel. 8) Best of luck this season. Anxious to hear your results.

Don

That some fine shooting. I had mixed results with 180 AB in my 30/06 with H4350 and RL-17 , so I shelved them in favor of 210 VLD Bergers. Now that I have a good supply of RL-26 I might revisit them this spring.

Nice! (y)

Now, sell most your other big game rifles, load 1,000 rounds just like that and hunt North American big game for a lifetime.

Guy

Good load, I have to ask and was mention in other post. Did you have any problems seating bullet?

It was a FULL case of powder, but no problems seating the bullet. I didn’t use a drop tube, but I poured each load slowly from the pan, and it settled slightly into the neck. When I poured it faster it settled closer to the center of the neck.

Back