7x57 maus in 700 Rem action with 140gr bullets ?

284allways

Beginner
Sep 11, 2017
All, I am loading for my buddies 7mm MAus in a 700 classic. We are preparing for an Elk & Mule Deer hunt and he insists on this rifle. I am thinking a 140 AB or Part for this rifle. and would like to the MV up around 2,800fps. Any thoughts comments or suggestions for Powder ? or other first hand experiences I could learn from ?

A 140gr AB would be a great pick in this cartridge. I shoot the 7-08 with 140s and it just plain works. I'd also think that with modern powder and a full length barrel- 2800 should be readily achievable. Nosler 8 lists several loads that approach or meet 2800fps with a 140gr- RL19, H414 and IMR4350 look to be good places to start.

That is an excellent cartridge. I worked up a load for a gentleman on the coast who had used his for many years for moose and bear. He had used a 140 grain Partition, and it worked to perfection. He was a hunter and not a shooter, however. The load I worked up for him was with a 150 grain Partition as he wanted a little heavier bullet. It was shooting 1/4 inch groups at very nice velocities from what appeared to be a very well used rifle. I would think the 140 grain AB would be an excellent choice. Nosler had excellent success with H414, and that would be a great powder to begin with. They have quite a nice variety of powders they tested, and all appear to produce excellent velocities.

Thanks guys ..I loaded test rounds in H414, H4350 and RL 19 a few days ago and am looking forward to testing. thank you for your opinions and experiences. Validation is great.

One more question can I assume the manuals are conservative, allowing for older sporters built on mil actions ?

I think it will be a great rifle and load with the 140 gr. Partition or AccuBond. Get one of the guys here to do a quickload for you and it should provide a more realistic data for a modern rifle such as the 700.

284allways":2krjc21w said:
Thanks guys ..I loaded test rounds in H414, H4350 and RL 19 a few days ago and am looking forward to testing. thank you for your opinions and experiences. Validation is great.

One more question can I assume the manuals are conservative, allowing for older sporters built on mil actions ?

To a degree... Hornady#9 reports that it developed loads in a M70 and to use caution in older rifles. Nosler is generally conservative across the board. I'd just follow regular work up procedures.

hodgeman":137c3f5o said:
284allways":137c3f5o said:

To a degree... Hornady#9 reports that it developed loads in a M70 and to use caution in older rifles. Nosler is generally conservative across the board. I'd just follow regular work up procedures.

+1

The gain in velocity is seldom as much as people imagine when they reach for higher pressures. There is a gain, but the more modest pressures still kill animals pretty dead.

+1...MV is pretty overrated.

The 6.5 and 7-08 were pretty eye-opening for me in that regard. Both cartridges knocked the stuffing out of critters with very modest MVs in carbine rifles. My 6.5 is plodding out of the barrel at 2550 with 143s and my 7-08s don't break 2700 with 140s,

Both have shot clear through a number of caribou to date.

RL17 is pretty danged good with 140-150’s. I had no issues getting the 140 AB to 2950 and the 150 Partitions to 2890 in my boys 7x57.

19 was good with 140’s but it gets pretty full before I could get much over 2700.

284allways":2zx634k4 said:
All, I am loading for my buddies 7mm MAus in a 700 classic. We are preparing for an Elk & Mule Deer hunt and he insists on this rifle. I am thinking a 140 AB or Part for this rifle. and would like to the MV up around 2,800fps. Any thoughts comments or suggestions for Powder ? or other first hand experiences I could learn from ?

I load the 150 gr. Nosler Partition to 2700 FPS+ with 47.0 gr. of Re17, Winchester brass and WLR primer. Accuracy is running very slightly less than one inch average. Certainly good enough for deer and elk. Rifle is an M70 FWT Load appears to be safe in my Ruger #1 but shows some pressure signs in a custom FN Mauser. I ran a test load in all three rifle, a 175 gr. bullet that according to several manuals should do 2300 FPS+/+ a few FPS. It did just that but the Mauser was 100 FPS faster with the same load.
I would think 2800 FPS would be easily doable with a 140 gr. PT and possibly even right around 2900.
I came close to 2900 FPS with the 150 gr. PT but after the 47.0 gr. load accuracy kind of went downhill so I settled on that load. Also pressure signs were starting to show. I also got the Nosler 150 gr. ABLR to slightly above 2900 FPS but accuracy was more like a tightly bored shotgun.
Give Re17 a try. I think you'll like it.
Paul B.

Back