6.5 mm 120 grain Sierra Prohunter??

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Ok guys I just recently picked up a Ruger American in another 6.5 CM. This will replace my heavy barrel Howa as a hunting rifle. The Howa will now be just a long range toy. I’ve used a bunch of 140 Gamekings in various 6.5’s over the years, but never the prohunter. Of course the excellent 120 grain nosler ballistic tip will be in the running also if supplies stay up. Over the last year I had a terrible time finding these in stock anywhere. A local store has a whole shelf of the 120 grain prohunters, so I’m thinking about giving them a try. I’ve always had great luck with Sierra bullets, and they have always had the best lot to lot consistency for me. How many of you have experience with the prohunter line? I’ve always heard they were a little tougher than the Gamekings, but I’ve never recovered a Gameking since they have always exited for me. I’d like to keep it in the 120 grain range, so I may try the 125 Partition also. One local store actually has the 125 partitions in stock always. I honestly think I’m the only person that ever buys 6.5 mm bullets there, so keeping a good supply of prohunters and partitions should not be an issue. So which of these would you pick? I’ll prolly try them all and pick the most accurate, or atleast a couple of them. Like usual my shots at Deer range from powder burn to about 300 yards. I know the Partition will get a lot of votes on the up close shots for sure. Honestly though I’ve never had issues with pass throughs up close with standard cup and core bullets, atleast with the moderate velocity most 6.5’s run at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the bullet tests section there is a guy that loves the 120 gr Pro Hunter on deer so they obviously work. I have only shot them for accuracy in the past so need to get some on game performance with them personally. Nothing wrong with the 125 gr Partition either of course. Maybe trying both might be in order ;)

Thanks Gerry. I actually forgot all about the bullet test section! I believe I will try both. Mainly because I’ve never loaded a Partition, so might as well try it too. In the past I’ve always had excellent accuracy from Sierra, so I’ll have to try them out too.

I'm getting a 6.5 CM and already have 120 SPHs ready to go. Sierra makes a good product. Accurate and great value for $.

fremont":q8y7un3h said:
I'm getting a 6.5 CM and already have 120 SPHs ready to go. Sierra makes a good product. Accurate and great value for $.
They sure do! And congrats on the 6.5 CM. I’m on my third one now, I really enjoy the cartridge. It’s nice if you don’t have time to work up some loads, and go buy some $20 box of bullets and get 1/2” accuracy or sometimes better.

Keep an eye open at Shooters Pro Shop (SPS)
for seconds and stock up on all your Nosler favorites.

JD338

Thanks for the reminder about SPS JD. I found out about them last year from this forum. Unfotunetly the 120 BT were cleaned out every time I remembered to check there last year lol. I’m gonna try to keep a more watchful eye on them this year.

I've been loading the Sierra 120gr Pro Hunter for almost 10 years in my daughters .260 Remington with excellent results in both accuracy and on game performance. She's harvested quite a few deer with this combination including some nice bucks. The majority of her shots have been between 100 - 250yds with one about 300yds. We've only recovered a couple bullets over the years and both were in the hide on the offside after going through ribs and in a nice mushroom. I don't think you'll have any issues with the Pro Hunter and deer at the ranges you're shooting. Though we've never tried them I would think the Nosler BT would produce equal results. Natchez is showing that they currently have the Nosler 120gr BT .264 in stock. Mike

I tried Sierra Prohunters 120gr in my .264 Win Mag never did get it to shoot and I moved on to Nosler 120gr Nolsler SP then to the BT.

Thanks for the replies guys. I’ve used the 120 BT a lot when I owned a 260 several years back, and it was an outstanding bullet. It will definitely be in the running.

I’d really like to give the 129 ABLR a try on the 6.5 CM. I’m thinking around 2900 and it would be hard to ask for more.

SJB358":2djwjx64 said:
I’d really like to give the 129 ABLR a try on the 6.5 CM. I’m thinking around 2900 and it would be hard to ask for more.
Yes! I’m been thinking about that myself lol

I have killed a few deer with the 120 Sierra Pro Hunter out of my 6.5x55 running them 3000 fps and they kill deer really well. Inside 150 yards at this speed if you take shoulder shots they usually will not exit. They do separate core from jacket with jacket usually found under the hide on the off side shoulder. Does not matter to me because the deer usually drops in it's tracks. I don't worry abut meat loss on front shoulders because were I hunt deer and bag limits are plentiful. When you really get down to real eatable meat there is really not that much on a deer's front shoulders anyway. These bullets have always been really accurate. I will be getting a complete upper for an AR Wednesday in 6.5 Grendel and the 120 Pro Hunter will be one of the first bullets I am going to give a work up.

1Shot":1yds79gz said:
I have killed a few deer with the 120 Sierra Pro Hunter out of my 6.5x55 running them 3000 fps and they kill deer really well. Inside 150 yards at this speed if you take shoulder shots they usually will not exit. They do separate core from jacket with jacket usually found under the hide on the off side shoulder. Does not matter to me because the deer usually drops in it's tracks. I don't worry abut meat loss on front shoulders because were I hunt deer and bag limits are plentiful. When you really get down to real eatable meat there is really not that much on a deer's front shoulders anyway. These bullets have always been really accurate. I will be getting a complete upper for an AR Wednesday in 6.5 Grendel and the 120 Pro Hunter will be one of the first bullets I am going to give a work up.
Thanks 1Shot, I usually try to put it in the crease behind the front shoulder, but sometimes I get into the shoulder. We also have plentiful bag limits so I don’t really fret over a shot up shoulder.

Back