.338 WM 225 accubond powder

lhsako

Handloader
Jan 12, 2012
A buddy of mine is having problems finding an accurate powder for this bullet.
the M700 shoots lighter bullets well. what have you had good accuracy with?

EastTNHunter":1zfqowuw said:
RL19 is what my dad and lots of others use for 225s.
he's tried RL19. IMR 4350 works great in my .338WM. All rifles are different as we know. However some powders just seem to do well in certain cartridges w/ certain bullets weights...

I have used the following powder with the 225 bullets and achieved good accuracy.
IMR4350
H4350
Hunter
R-19
R-26
Superformance

It might be the bullet. I tried 210 Partitions in mine and it was not good. Went to 225 Accubonds with RL-19 and it shot great.

wisconsinteacher":y1emp5fo said:
It might be the bullet. I tried 210 Partitions in mine and it was not good. Went to 225 Accubonds with RL-19 and it shot great.
as stated above, he has tried 19 w/ the accubonds to no avail.

He's prolly not seating the bullet deep enough. Nosler AccuBond like a jump. Just like Barnes T-TSX.
Now this is my 2 cents, your money may spend different than mine. lol
RL-19 is a good powder for that round. I know lots of fellas use it.
Wish your buddy the best.

I feel like I've read before about someone having trouble getting the 225 AB to shoot.

If I were to try them in my rifle, I'd start with H4350. If that didn't work, I'd pick two more between RL16, RL17, H4831, or 7828. If it wouldn't shoot with one of those, either, I wouldn't buy another box of that bullet after they were shot up.

My favorite .338 bullets are the 200 grain BT(AB if I couldn't get BT's) and the 185 or 210 TTSX. One of those should shoot acceptably in a decent .338WM. The 210 Scirocco would probably be my top pick if it shot in one's particular rifle, but I've never been able to work myself up to spending that much money on a box of 100 bullets that may or may not shoot worth a darn.

jason miller":23w3pvuy said:
I feel like I've read before about someone having trouble getting the 225 AB to shoot.

If I were to try them in my rifle, I'd start with H4350. If that didn't work, I'd pick two more between RL16, RL17, H4831, or 7828. If it wouldn't shoot with one of those, either, I wouldn't buy another box of that bullet after they were shot up.

My favorite .338 bullets are the 200 grain BT(AB if I couldn't get BT's) and the 185 or 210 TTSX. One of those should shoot acceptably in a decent .338WM. The 210 Scirocco would probably be my top pick if it shot in one's particular rifle, but I've never been able to work myself up to spending that much money on a box of 100 bullets that may or may not shoot worth a darn.
the 185 tsx and 200AB do shoot. he wants a heavier load for elk. we all know these 2 bullets will work on elk but developing loads are why we at here....and i agree H4350 is a very accurate powder.

RL17 has worked real well for me with 225 Accubonds and Partitions in a few 338 WMs.

Back