Kimber Classic 280AI

Railroaded87

Beginner
Mar 3, 2018
Hello all, I have a Kimber 280 AI Classic Select. Here is the issue, I have tried a bunch of different stuff. I will admit I have only tried imr-4350, h4831, and I have some loaded up in 22 and 19 to try. My problem is I have tried 162 eldx, 160 accubonds/Partition, 140 accubonds/Partition, 175 game Kings, 120 Tex that key holed. Nothing has shot under 1 1/2, here is the issue I always shot 280 corelokts in 150 because they shoot 3/4-1” at 200 yards, 140 core lokts same, and the new Hornady precision hunter is 3/4-7/8 at 100 every group I’ve shot. Hot barrel or not. Right now I have some 150 ballistic tips/partitions, 140 sgk, and 160 Speer soft points with 19 and 22 in each. Anyone have any recomendations, cci lr primers, have br2s and Winchester lrm available. Just a little confused with factory ammo so accurate, never had this hard of a time before. I cleaned all the fouling out this weekend and going to try some Moreno next weekend.

I'm going to play with my .280 AI here this spring but I was able to get a good shooting load pretty quickly using 140 gr. Partitions. I want to try some 140 gr. Accubonds. I used IMR7828SSC with Federal magnum primers. My load is 1/2 gr. under the max load that Nosler shows in their book and it chronographed at 3230 fps with no pressure signs.

David

What is your COAL? Especially on the monolithic and bonded-core bullets, you will likely discover that they give the best performance with a significant jump to the lands. Have you been able to check velocities? Just wonder if they approximate expectations.

Thanks guys, the 140 accubonds have shot the best so far. As far a COAL, I have been putting everything at the recommended book length. I just can’t figure out why the 120 tsx were fully sideways, they should have stabilized at least I would think. Who knows, I had a bdl that never shot well until around 200 rounds, Norma brass, br2, 150 accubonds right at 1/2 moa to 400 yards. Then Moa 400-650, that’s as far as i’ve Shot it. Thanks guys, I guess I just needed to vent.

What dies are you using? Supposedly some 280 AI dies are for a wilder version than the SAMMI approved version.

I'll also second DrMike's question & comments on COAL. I'm not sure what you mean by "book length". It can differ on the book, but normally I see a max COAL of 3.330" for the 280 AI. I reload 165 grain Corelokts in 30-06 and they love a huge amount of jump in my Kimber 84L. It wouldn't surprise me if the 280 AI book COAL isn't suitable to your rifle, and the Remington ammo works due to a larger jump.

If I were in your shoes, I would consider the Berger seating depth test. The test can be found at the bottom section of the article at: http://www.bergerbullets.com/vld-making-shoot/.

I would probably experiment with the 150 grain Ballistic Tips or the 160 grain Speers, due to cost and they are typically pretty easy to work with.

Good luck and you are welcome to vent.

I use a 3.330 coal for everything except the Barnes and it was 3.235. I use the Rcbs dies and according to them are Saami spec. I may need more jump, thanks I am out of town at work right now. I’ll check it out when I ge those. Thanks for the suggestions, I needed some help.

Fire form loads sometimes shoot little better but not much over reloads in my rifles. I have 2-280AI one was build before spec 280 and I fire form Rem brass for that and other one I use Nosler brass.

Your using factory 280 and did you measure OAL on that ammo? If you have some might use that.

I've had several rifles that were more consistent with fireforming loads. It defies everything I thought I knew about reloading. Someone, somewhere posted a story from an engineer at Sierra bullets I think it was. The theory was something akin to wanting the cartridge inside the chamber "as loose as a rat turd in a violin case". I think he might be on to something there. Try cranking your FL die down to where you're getting .005-.006 headspace gap, and seat the bullet at least .020 short of the lands and see if that helps.

I wish you luck and know the frustration.

Thanks guys, for all the helpful replies, i’ll Try cranking it down some. For what it’s worth I haven’t cracked any of the nosler brass open yet. Everything has been shot at least once through my rifle. The Hornady precision hunter, my lot at least,is consistany 3.330+\- .007. All of it shoots better than an MOA. I think I have been frustrated and trying to hurry along something that I need to slow down and have fun with while I am doing it. It’s not really a big deal the corelokts will kill deer at my ranges, and hunting season isn’t for many months yet. Thanks again guys like I said just needed an outlet to stop breath and reassess.

Just thought I’d thank you guys for the suggestions. Looked like I just needed to seat everything deeper. Had a load with the eldx shoot a little over 1/3” and the 150 ballistic tips a little under 3/4. I’m going to try some 150 partitions next. Also got what I consider a successful load with 51 gr imr 4350, BR2s and 150 ablrs in a 270 win out of a restocked BDL.

Even a blind dog finds a bone now and then, I was a little worried about all the stuff you read about Kimber rifles. So far I love this one, it carries well, shoots unreal 3 shot groups(5 heats the barrel up a lot) but I’ve never fired more than 2 rounds at a hunting anyway so far in the last 15 years. I’m happy with anything around 1moa for a controlled setting, now i’m Going to do my best to get an AccuBond load to shoot for something bigger than deer.

I'm always pleased with MOA shooting prone off of bipods; plenty good enough to put meat on the table.

I know what you mean on the Kimber rifles having a lot negative press / Kimber Roulette. I have two wood stocked Kimber 84L's and am keeping an eye out for a third as I haven't had any real problems with them. They shoot about the same as yours, 3 rounds typically sub or around MOA with the fourth and fifth shots opening up a bit if I don't give it a minute or two to cool between rounds.

Just FYI, but I believe most issues with the Kimber 84's are fairly easy to rectify if you know the problem areas. Main thing I've done is check for wear marks on the barrel, action, and I mount the scope bases twice so that I can check the screws for deformation. The other thing I've noticed is that most issues are with the synthetic stocked Montana rifles rather than their wood stocked rifles.

A good review of what typically plagues the Kimber 84 Montanas' and how to fix them is at: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthrea ... /8509166/1.

When I bought the rifle I was hoeing for 1 1/2 at 100. I would have been perfectly satisfied with that. Then it shot, and all the sudden I had to have better. Now I loaded up 100 eldx and 50 ballistic tips. I don’t have a problem shooting at the range, it’s when you get nervous and try to shoot a deer at 250 yards. I just like to know it’s my fault and not the rifle. I am looking at a Montana now, I love this Kimber, and my dad’s Cooper decisions decisions.

Back