ABLR for 30-06

KenM

Beginner
Mar 10, 2018
Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and was looking for some load data for the 168 grain ABLR for my Rem 700, 30-06. I have the Nosler reloading manual 8 and have also looked online and can't find any data for this bullet.

I am newish to reloading, so would like to start with some known good data to workup what I'll refer to as my "do everything" load. I have Nosler brass, RL19 and IMR4350, CCI Large Rifle and CCI Large Rifle Magnum primers.

The reason for this "do everything" load is due to a couple future hunts...
1. I will be going to Alaska for a Caribou/Moose hunt next year.
* Will the 168 ABLR be enough for the Moose? I know, shot placement and all that, but i would rather take em with one shot, not 5....

2. I will be going on an Axis Deer hunt in Texas.

3. I'm lucky enough to have my parents in Colorado, so I hunt Elk and Mule Deer every year.

4. Possible Antelope hunt in Wyoming.

I would like to be able to develop this and use it on all hunts.

This will not be a bench gun... It will be used for hunting, in all hunting conditions out to 500 yards. I don't like taking shots at game any further than that.

I have a chronograph, so I'm basically asking for a starting point and the powder most are having the best results with.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome aboard, Ken. I don't use the ABLR in my 30-06, so I can't speak of a "proven" load. As to your question of whether it will be enough for moose, you can use that bullet without hesitation. I'm comfortable with the 150 grain AB or PT from the 30-06 for moose. A 165 grain AB, BT or PT is my preferred bullet from my own rifle. If the bullet gives you good accuracy, you can rest assured that it will work just fine on the big critters.

If no one else has personal data on this particular bullet, let me know and I'll be happy to run you a projection with QuickLoad to give you some parameters.

Again, welcome aboard; and we'll all be wishing you every success in your hunts! (y)

Thanks DrMike!

I have used the 165 AB's in the past on Elk in CO with great success. Just didn't know about the 168 ABLR's until recently and was wondering about their performance on the bigger fellas.

I am curious as to why Nosler hasn't released/included the 168 ABLR in their load data? Seems odd that they would release a bullet, but not any data on it....

Thanks agin for your help and I will let you know if I don't hear anything.

Load development takes considerably longer than making the bullet. Standardized loads must be presented for pressure testing, which would delay release of the bullet quite a while. You can be certain that Nosler has tested the bullet for terminal ballistics, stabilization, etc. Nevertheless, the pressure-tested loading data required by lawyers concerned may delay release of data for a considerable period of time. You might have some luck phoning the company to ask if the techs are willing to provide you with any guidance.

Great information thank you!

I am still new to reloading, but learning something new everyday!

Ken I've had great luck with 165 gr. Accubonds and Partitions in my 30-06 using IMR4350 57.4 grs. for each. Guy uses H4350 with 165 gr. Ballistic Tips I believe. Either of those powders would be good starters I would think.

Lots of good powders for the 30-06, and yes, I have had great results with H4350 & IMR4350 combined with a 165 - 168 gr bullet.

I've not used the ABLR bullet yet. Have had excellent success with the 165 gr Ballistic Tip, and with the Partition as well.

Regards, Guy

Back