WBY Fibermark Stock torque

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
I shot a few groups at 200 yards today but the results were not acceptable. I got to wondering what you guys torque your action screws at. I know what wby recommends (something like 60 inch/lbs but this seems excessive to me. I think the action might be getting torqued.

Anyway, this is what the rifle yielded. What say you??? Any input???

I use 55 in-lbs as advised by the factory some time ago.

I found a .010" seating depth change to be quite effective in the .257. I personally use only IMR 7828SSC in all Weatherby calibers but RL-22 should be fine.

No sir. Never touched it from the factory BUT I am under the impression that the sides are touching somewhere. Only the chamber part and the pressure point should be touching.

No expert by any means Fotis but it might be worth loosening the action screws and taking the action out and just looking things over. Put her back in and tighten evenly front and rear and then re-torque them to specs a tad lighter like the others suggest. Might be it just wasn't sitting in the stock correctly when it was tightened down.

David

Yup she is getting surgery if needed....

Personally, at 200 yards I would be happy with those groups... Especially if those were from a new rifle.

Looks like vertical stringing to me, as such it could be a firing pin issue / excessive movement of the cartridge in the chamber.

Regarding torque concerns - I like 6mm Remington's suggestions. General pre-vetting for Kimber 84 Montanna's, take barreled action out of the stock & check for rub marks / contact points. Re-torque to about 50 lbs with very small dabs of blue Loctite or nail polish (what ever is handy) and then up the torque from there. I do not exceed 55 lbs of "wet" torque on any stock. I have been known to play with action screw torques at the range; it takes a few shots to settle the action and stock together.

Edited to add - it might be worthwhile checking the action screw lengths and scope base screw lengths. Every so often a longer then spec'd screw gets through and they can put tension on the barrel or twist the stock when torqueing the screw. Too long of a screw is easy to check for as the screw or contact point will be shiny - Jim H notes it at https://www.shootersforum.com/rifles-ri ... ntana.html.

FOTIS":qvnco68d said:
No sir. Never touched it from the factory BUT I am under the impression that the sides are touching somewhere. Only the chamber part and the pressure point should be touching.
My Fibermark touches at the forearm like it should, but I think that over time it is moving in the stock. I purchased a McMillan for it, and the original Fibermark stock is going to be set aside for "historical" purposes. The barreled action will then be bedded into the McMillan, and of course floated.

Dr. Vette":vqrbla6w said:
FOTIS":vqrbla6w said:
My Fibermark touches at the forearm like it should, but I think that over time it is moving in the stock. I purchased a McMillan for it, and the original Fibermark stock is going to be set aside for "historical" purposes. The barreled action will then be bedded into the McMillan, and of course floated.
Hope she shoots well floated! :grin:

FOTIS":coks4577 said:
Dr. Vette":coks4577 said:
FOTIS":coks4577 said:
Hope she shoots well floated! :grin:
Both of my ULW's shoot well floated, as does the 340, and I would expect the same of this one.

Back