Who has 33 Nosler test results?

RiverMan

Beginner
Mar 26, 2018
Who’s got some real chrono numbers on their 33 nosler? From looking at the published load data online I’m not seeing it out perform the 338 lapua as claimed. I’ve got one on order and am jonesing for some real world numbers.

From what I see in the book it sorta between a 338 Win Mag and a 340 Weatherby, closer to the Weatherby actually.

It is probably darned near the perfect 338 case size wise. You won't get belted too much worse than a 338 Win and you could probably get by with a normal 8-9lb rifle with a brake. The 340 is too much for myself to put rounds through unless it is heavier or has a brake.

I have a feeling you will enjoy it. What bullets are you looking to run in it?

the 33 Nosler matches the lapua with lighter bullets and gets within 100fps of the of it with heavier ones. All in a standard action and 20gr less powder.

Just sorta looked through the Nosler load data for it just to see where it falls out on capacity.

H20 Water capacity with a 250 grain bullet at SAAMI Lengh

73.0 - 338 WM

80.3 - 33 Nosler

89 - 340 Wby

101.7 - 338 Lapua

So, looking at the capacity which is what really counts, it fall almost dead in between a 338 Win and a 340 Wby. Any difference in speed is higher pressure, freebore, or if it is a custom gun, an extended magazine to allow seating further out.

It's a neat cartridge though, sitting right in between a 338 and a 340 is a pretty danged good place to be.

My partner is getting 2700 and a bit of change with 76.5 of H4831SC and 250ABs. Plenty of thump and it's middle of the book data with some room to go up.

Pretty sure a guys could get a lighter bullet just screaming out of the barrel.

The load data is showing 2850 with a 265 at 79grs. Of RL22. But then shows 74 as a max of RL22 with a 250gr. The books just not making a ton of sense to me. Hopefully someone from nosler will chime in here.

RiverMan":r2w8pb4b said:
The load data is showing 2850 with a 265 at 79grs. Of RL22. But then shows 74 as a max of RL22 with a 250gr. The books just not making a ton of sense to me. Hopefully someone from nosler will chime in here.

I saw that as well. Pretty big swing of powder. Partitions usually produce more pressure than say an AccuBond or similar bullet, so maybe 74 was safe with both and hence why it's listed and the 265 was able to take a bit more powder in order to hit PSI. No idea, but pretty interesting.

I noticed that the .338RUM hasn't been mentioned and that's interesting as it's right at the upper end of all the cartridges mentioned with velocity and energy. Actually, It's closer if not the same as the Lapua than the others.

diverdown":2n8o9hll said:
I noticed that the .338RUM hasn't been mentioned and that's interesting as it's right at the upper end of all the cartridges mentioned with velocity and energy. Actually, It's closer if not the same as the Lapua than the others.
I was using the Lapua as a baseline since that’s what all the claims are based on. I’m simply looking for some real world info not just book stuff. I’m not claiming any to be better than the other. Just want some info.

I believe the bearing surface on the 265 is actually less than the 250. Pretty sleek bullet.

My 338 RUM will take a 250 grain bullet past 2900 fps and a 225 grain up to 3070 fps. and more.
This is just one, my rifle has a 24 inch barrel.
My barrel is getting a bit worn. I have been thinking about getting a new barrel and having it chambered in the 33 Nosler.
I agree, not a bad place to be, between a 338 win mag and a 340 B..
The 33-Nosler has more than enough gas to get it done.

My 26" Broughton bbl in 338RUM will shoot at 3,000 ft/sec with 89.0gr RE26 and a 250gr Berger or Nosler bullet.

Tagging in, I really am interested in the 33. Please keep us updated! I have hundreds of 225 AB's that would shine in this case.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If a Fellow was considering having a .338 built, which would the group recommend?

.338 RUM
.33 Nosler
.338 Edge
.338 Win

Parameters.
Hunting rifle with some sort of stiff fluted 28” barrel on a M700 Action which is currently a 7 Rem Mag.

This decision is proving hard.

At this time, 300 WM is the closest dies I have...

I’d like to shoot 250s or heavier: otherwise I see no advantage over my 300.

What will you be hunting with the rifle? Weight goal? Distances you plan on hunting?

I’m a 338 Win guy through and through. It really does all I need it to do. With today’s powder and Bullets it is better than its ever been. I don’t need a muzzle brake to shoot it in a light’ish sub 9lb gun. It runs 200’s like a 300 Win Mag and will run 250-265’s the same speed a 6.5 CM runs a 140-147 Bullet.

Unless you’re just building a belly gun, I’d really be careful with anything over 26”. Just seems real long unless you’re packing it on a 4 wheeler and then planting it on a mountain. But I know different folks use them for different things. Mines built as a elk rifle first and foremost.

I’ve always thought the 340 Wby was a truly awesome cartridge and those around it ballistically but I don’t like muzzle brakes or heavy rifles so I’ve sorta came to the conclusion that a 338 Win is king for me.

Good luck with your build. I’d weigh every single piece out in order to make sure you hit your weight goals. It’s easy to build a heavy gun but takes a bit of thought to keep it moderate in weight and still able to do what you want.

The 33 Nosler seems real good but the last thing I wanna do is tie myself to propriety brass. I can buy 338 Win from nearly every maker.

thatguySHM":1rxj06kb said:
What will you be hunting with the rifle? Weight goal? Distances you plan on hunting?

Elk & Moose, maybe a bear or 2.

Just an all around Big Thumper.

I’d considered a .35 W AI, a 338/06AI, but I want to push the heavies reasonably fast & grow my distance skills.

A few friends use .338W, but there’s better choices these days, although there is much to be said for off the shelf ammo when your luggage gets separated.

I use both the 338 Federal and 338-06 and love them both. I prefer speed with premium bullets, using a 180gr AccuBond in the Federal and currently testing the 200gr NBT in the 06. I have loads with the 225 AccuBond in the 338-06 but after weighing a jacket I found from the 200 BTs I like something that sheds a bit more weight, with the jacket weighing about 98 grains.

With the AI vs plain Jane debate, I don't buy it but plenty of people think they are the cats butt. They definitely have their place, but I read in a Handloader magazine a few years ago that the case capacity difference is around 3%, so if you want to stay within sane pressure limits, you can expect to safely put in 3% more powder. To each their own though, and I do plan on doing a 22-250 AI, although there is plenty of pressure tested data available for that cartridge.

thatguySHM":3nlsnd9a said:
I use both the 338 Federal and 338-06 and love them both. I prefer speed with premium bullets, using a 180gr AccuBond in the Federal and currently testing the 200gr NBT in the 06. I have loads with the 225 AccuBond in the 338-06 but after weighing a jacket I found from the 200 BTs I like something that sheds a bit more weight, with the jacket weighing about 98 grains.

With the AI vs plain Jane debate, I don't buy it but plenty of people think they are the cats butt. They definitely have their place, but I read in a Handloader magazine a few years ago that the case capacity difference is around 3%, so if you want to stay within sane pressure limits, you can expect to safely put in 3% more powder. To each their own though, and I do plan on doing a 22-250 AI, although there is plenty of pressure tested data available for that cartridge.

There’s enough difference to fool
With it: think about it.

A 338/06 or 35W is already a Hand-loading required round.

Why not go ahead & get all you can out of it?

Fireforming and the cost of 338 bullets. About it. I haven't found brass grows much.

Back