Why do you load?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Handloading is just a part of my interest in firearms. I think it adds to my knowledge of my firearms, and to my pleasure in using them.

Dad and Grandpa had me seating bullets for their rifle ammo when I was 5 or so. That's 55+ years ago! I've been handloading almost all my life.

Have been guilty of buying dies and components while I hadn't yet purchased the firearm...

I'll have different goals with my different firearms and loads.

For some, like for my target rifle and varmint rifle, I want the very best accuracy I can get.

For some, good accuracy and good velocity, with an excellent game-taking bullet is the goal. That too can change depending on the firearm and how I'll hunt with it. I have different standards for my 30-30 than I do for my 25-06, one is for deer out to 150 yards or so, the other is for deer out to 400 yards or a bit farther.

Some cartridges I load very mellow, mild. The 45 Colt comes to mind, 'cause I don't want to be the fellow who destroys Grandpa's revolver!

Others get loaded pretty stout, 'cause it's fun to use all that power, or 'cause I figure I might need some serious suds.

I just flat enjoy shooting and loading and fussin' with the firearms. It's been real interesting reading about different cartridges, loads, bullets, etc. So glad I've got the time and place to enjoy handloading.

Regards, Guy

All of what you said Guy and a couple more.

Been loading my own ammunition since I was 12 years old when my father showed me how to do it. Of course under his careful eye!

I feel I can get a better more accurate load than what I can with factory ammo even though it has improved drastically and the bullet selection on factory stuff is fantastic now. I like getting the Nosler bullets that I want to use hunting and working up a load for each rifle.

It's meaningful to me to harvest critters with my own loads. I feel that it adds to the hunt and to the taking of that animal. I think that it is probably real similar to the guy who ties his own flies or makes his own lures and catches fish on them, or the person who makes their own arrows and some other items for their archery hunting.

It's just flat out fun!

Ultimately the cherry on top of the gun sundae for me as it relates to reloading, is what 6MM said. It's the satisfaction of seeing good performance on game with a bullet and speed combo I done my best to figure out for that particular caliber and bullet weight and bullet type. Adds to the whole experience for me and is a satisfying end to the whole experience.

Secondly it gives me a relatively cost effective way to continue to gain experience and knowledge about shooting and guns, as I immensely enjoy both.

Lastly is the challenge of customizing loads for a particular rifle that works. It's not likely otherwise that a person could grab 2 different loads with 2 completely different bullet brands that are 30 grains difference in weight, that will both do this out of the same rifle.

I started loading in the 1960's.
I started to save money so I could shoot more.
Then I loaded Partition bullets when that was the only way you could have a cartridge with that bullet.
Then I loaded 44mag to get the most power and also some that were mild.
Then I loaded 223 to shoot lots of ground squirrels with bullets that did not ricochet(55gr Hornady SX) when we were not able to get them in factory ammo. Plus I could not afford factory ammo in the amounts I was shooting. That was in the 1970's. I was given a very large box of brass free . I still use that load today.
Things just grew from there. I started loading to get fast, accurate hunting loads with bullets of my choice for different game/conditions.
Later I started buying mil surplus and less common(more costly factory ammo) chambered rifles/pistols since I can load for them. This makes shooting them easier when it is hard to find ammo especially good ammo.
At the price of ammo with good bullets and the price of Weatherby ammo I have to load my own if I want to shoot them.
Now I do a lot of testing over my chrono for the fastest and accurate loads using several different brands of bullets for hunting. I am not a competition type target shooter.

I have always enjoyed the loading hobby. It is an extension of my enjoyment of my shooting/hunting hobbies. I also like the fact that when I hunt I know I have MY AMMO which is put together by myself for this animal(s) under these conditions. That is one of the reasons I own a number of different hunting rifles/pistols also.
One bedroom in my home has been converted to a reloading room with a Dillon 650, a dedicated 50BMG press, a RCBS RC and Jr press. Another is for 3 large safes, computer and storage of some reloading supplies(powder) and equipment as well as Chrono, targets and other stuff I use at the range.
Fully 1/3 my garage is reloading stuff/ammo and some items for use at the range.

I am into hunting/shooting and reloading more than most. I have not taken a single animal with a factory round since the 1970's. I have helped others get into and solve problems they have with loading and work on rifles/pistols for friends and others for fun and personal satisfaction.

If you own a few Weatherbys like I do you can save a lot of money. I also load some old odd calibers for my brother where ammo is hard to find.
#1 reason is loads tailored to each rifle to get the best results.

I've always preferred a DIY element to many of my interests..Tying flies, making arrows, turning out turkey calls, and hand loading..There's just that extra bit of satisfaction when the end result of what I'm trying to accomplish with fish, foul, or fur-bearers is achieved with something of my own "making"..Another reason I began hand loading is that, while most cartridges I shoot are considered common, most are not as popular as many others and factory ammo choices are limited, and I could never find factory ammo with the bullet model/weight I wanted to use. Then the "bug" kicked in and it became a quest to find the "holy grail" load for each particular cartridge/bullet, and reading and learning the volumes of information available has became addictive. And I enjoy building my knowledge base.

I don't trust my government and I want to be independent in the event ammo is no longer available. I have a good supply of components and the know-how to use them properly. I also cast bullets for a few of the guns I have and am learning to make black powder if needed.

I started in college. Those 16 ga shells at $5.99/ box were expensive to a college kid! Then I got a 12 ga and started on those. Then the 25-06, because I could load a more accurate round and it allowed me to shoot my rifle more often - improving my shooting skills. It grew from that.
I also load for a couple of rifles due to availability, or lack thereof (anyone seen a recently loaded box of 20 rounds of .256 Newton lately?) Reloading lets me keep some old guns still out and being used.
I still turkey hunt with my grandfather's model 97 12 gauge (made in 1914).

And finally, I enjoy the challenge of finding a load that works in MY firearms as well as the 'zen' feeling I get when in the middle of loading. It's relaxing to me.

Save a little money, personal satisfaction, and its just a bunch of fun.

My reasons are the same as others. Its been a very rewarding hobby. When I started money was tight and I would load and shoot one caliber for awhile trying different bullets on deer than trade it for something else and try it. Finally kept three I liked and added couple others. I've tried to share and help pass reloading along as it was passed to me. Dan.

I don't really need to hand load- everything shoots factory better than fine.

I basically load for a winter time hobby, I don't save any money- but I do shoot a good deal more as a result and being able to hunt with a hand load brings something new to the equation.

Well here you go.
1. Not to save money as I shoot more.
2. Better Bullets with higher BC. and powder to achieve higher velocity than Factory ammo is loaded to.
3. The 6mm Rem .264 Win. mag & 300 H&H are not very popular and limited Factory ammo.
4. I enjoy it and Reload shotgun, rifle & handgun.

- Personal satisfaction, I like tinkering and doing things for myself.
- Cost and choice of bullets for some calibers like 6.5X68S or 30R Blaser. The only factory ammo I can get is so expensive (RWS and Sologne 65€ to 100€ per 20) it pays to reload.
- For common calibers, I have a huge choice of bullet types and weights.

Its therapy, and early on to get higher quality hunting ammunition, than what was was available in the stores. I can develop the most accurate load for each of my rifles. Commercial ammo can be very good but not necessarily the best for every rifle. Its cheaper. Most of my loading is with a single stage press I bought in the 60's so its a connection with the past.

ShadeTree":6098aqyk said:
Ultimately the cherry on top of the gun sundae for me as it relates to reloading, is what 6MM said. It's the satisfaction of seeing good performance on game with a bullet and speed combo I done my best to figure out for that particular caliber and bullet weight and bullet type. Adds to the whole experience for me and is a satisfying end to the whole experience.

Secondly it gives me a relatively cost effective way to continue to gain experience and knowledge about shooting and guns, as I immensely enjoy both.

Lastly is the challenge of customizing loads for a particular rifle that works. It's not likely otherwise that a person could grab 2 different loads with 2 completely different bullet brands that are 30 grains difference in weight, that will both do this out of the same rifle.

https://s20.postimg.org/uf5sct9b1/30-

06.png

+1 I couldn’t have said it any better. Started loading in early sixties for 270 Winchester and the “then” wildcat 25-06. Currently load for several rifle and handguns.
Duane

I started Handloading 34 years ago to save money and also knowing that if I used care I could make better ammunition than factory. Getting the necessary components together was actually fun and it was nice to pick and choose. Nowadays I still do it to save some money but really strive for the accuracy end of it. The variety of bullets and powders available make it much easier to find suitable loads for accurate shooting and hunting. I've got roughly 40 sets of dies under the reloading bench, some for which I don't have firearms. Fortunately my close shooting friends come over frequently and with my assistance they manage to turn out decent ammo for their own use.

Of the guns I use on a regular basis almost none of them are SAAMI spec chambers even if they are SAAMI calibers, although a large portion aren't standardized calibers. They almost always have longer throats, to run heavier or higher BC bullets, or tight necks. When my dad taught me to reload in the 70's it was more to optimize a load to a rifle and save a few bucks. But today it's more of a "have to" thing.

I do like the satisfaction of working up a load, proving it at distance, and harvesting animals with it. I also do the same thing for my hunting partners rifle.

I hand load for accuracy and also so I can shoot a few of my firearms that you can't purchase ammo for because the ammo is no longer made or VERY HARD to get and others that are wildcats and the only way to get ammo is to make your own.

Back