300 WSM die questions

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
I have a 2 die Hornady Custom die set.

I’m reloading once fired cases,
Using imperial lube smeared over the case(360, full length, goes on thin and slippery), then graphite lube on the neck(Redding).

Q1, wow. It’s a tight. Fully lubed, I’m raising the ram 1/2 way, back it up, raise it up again. I haven’t had to double clutch any of theses, 22-250, 223, 243, 308, 3006, 300WM, ...mostly RCBS or Redding dies.
Is this how the 300WSM is?
Is this typical of Hornady custom dies? They came with the gun, I’d buy a new set. Not enjoying how slow this procedure is. I also have RCBS case slick, could try that.

Q2: I intend to bump the shoulder back to 3/1000ths.
My fired brass measures 1.7425”
Unfired measured 1.7340
So I set the die for 1.7390”
It chambers. 1.7410 chambered with a palm bump.
A) did I do this right?
B) the cases are deep into the die, so think I’m still full length siZing them, just not over working the shoulder.

Thoughts ?

I know I don’t like having to double clutch. Lifted my bench for the fit time working the press..

[emoji1] did not get a case stuck yet.

Ready to buy a new sizer.

Thanks, Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yah, I wouldn't be into working so hard to size a case like you're having to do. Forster, Redding, RCBC would cure the issue unless you have a over sized chamber which might cause such force to size down a case, and the die is on the small size?

I've got the same dies and I've never had any issue sizing .300WSM brass from several makers- it takes a little more force just from the increased surface area, but certainly not that much extra force that I lift the bench!

I'd try to size some new brass and determine if you've got an undersize die or an oversize chamber- something would seem amiss here.

My RCBS 300 WSM dies aren't like that and have been great. There is something wrong with the dies or an oversize chamber like was mentioned above. I would be looking at Forster, Redding or RCBS like was also mentioned as well. Not a big fan in general of Hornady dies because of stuff like this, seen issues as well with 300 Win Mag dies doing the exact same thing.

Thanks guys.

I have some fired Federal (fusion) brass.

I’ll measure it before running it through the sizer and after.

I’m going to take the rifle in for trigger work in a couple weeks.

I can have them inspect the chamber if I haven’t resolved it by then.

I’ll post what I figure out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":3t7320hi said:
Thanks guys.

I have some fired Federal (fusion) brass.

I’ll measure it before running it through the sizer and after.

I’m going to take the rifle in for trigger work in a couple weeks.

I can have them inspect the chamber if I haven’t resolved it by then.

I’ll post what I figure out.

Federal brass is horrible for reloading, so don't use it. If you want to play with setting your die up with it, then by all means do that. I have both Lee and Forster dies for my 300 WSM, and no issues like what you are getting. I prefer the Forster dies of all the brands

I have a number of Hornady die sets and as far as I'm concerned they're all about like buying a small base die. Every set that I have takes more effort to resize brass than any other brands I have... and I have quite a few.
Now that I've sort of complained I will say this... for me they are a great guy to use if the ammunition is going to go through an automatic.... and they are also great if I am going to try to reclaim some range brass.... for me most of my Hornady die sets get things back awful close to Virgin dimensions and no other die set quite does that.

Huh. When I bought my 300 WSM, 10 years or so ago, it came with a set of Hornady dies.

They work great, and I can't say that I've noticed any difference in pressure required to size with them. That sliding sleeve thing is interesting. I don't know if it really helps, but some of the ammo I've loaded with those dies has proven very accurate! My 300 WSM has a strong preference for the 210 gr Berger VLD & H4350.

Regards, Guy

I had an RCBS die that was the same way with 06. Thought I was gonna break the short 2x10 plank I have the press bolted to sizing cases with that die. I borrowed a buddies die and if I wouldn't of had to pull it back through the expander ball, I could've easily sized the same cases one handed with his die.

All the cases were fired through the same gun. When taking a measurement just ahead of the extractor groove, the cases sized with the RCBS die were a full .005 smaller. I sent it to RCBS and the machinist called me, and if I remember correctly he told me the die was .003 under minimum. He was gonna ream it out to specs but instead they sent me a brand new die and my problems ended.

I have a Redding set on the way.

The Redding also has the sliding sleeve on the seater. Was just the Resizer I had trouble with. I should have it in time for the weekend.

Hope to update you all.

Did some ladder work then rang the gong at 200 and 300.
180gn using RL26
74.2 - 3070
74.5 - 3072
74.8 - 3111
75.1 - 3105
75.3- 3113
75.5-3116
75.8 -3149

Maybe a nice node at 311x

Guy Miner":2c7zef2v said:
Huh. When I bought my 300 WSM, 10 years or so ago, it came with a set of Hornady dies.

They work great, and I can't say that I've noticed any difference in pressure required to size with them. That sliding sleeve thing is interesting. I don't know if it really helps, but some of the ammo I've loaded with those dies has proven very accurate! My 300 WSM has a strong preference for the 210 gr Berger VLD & H4350.

Regards, Guy

Some of the most insanely good run out with an F L die I have gotten with Hornady dies. I have done a little fiddling reseating and regripping the sizing stem to get it perfectly centered in the die... Often by tightening it down while the expander is being held in place by a case mouth on a Case down below. The elliptical expanders are awesome in my book and that sleeve definitely does work on the seating die. I have way better luck with my 308 seating die from Hornady than I do with my competition RCBS seating die. I cannot explain it but I just know it to be true via my concentricity gauge.

longrangehunter":uodwm4g7 said:
What bullet did you use? Yah, there's a node there for sure, should be GTG.

Sierra ProHunter RN

That's some really good speed for a 180 gr bullet. Are the new dies working better than your Hornady dies? be neat to see how those Sierra 180 gr RN bullet perform on game, I have some 180 gr Pro Hunter Spitzers waiting in the wings to try. They seem to have a good reputation for a cup and core bullet.

Work has been preoccupying me, so Redding dies are here, just waiting for the operator to put in some bench time

I think I have some spitzers as well. Originally bought them for black bear, but went with AB.

mjcmichigan":gryamdfy said:
180gn using RL26
74.2 - 3070
74.5 - 3072
74.8 - 3111
75.1 - 3105
75.3- 3113
75.5-3116
75.8 -3149

FYI QL predictions
74.28 3066
75.05 3099
75.80 3132

Really good predictions.

I used the Redding dies. No issues at all. Just like loading 3006 or any other round. I’ll clean and inspect the Hornady dies again, and I’ll send them to Hornady to gauge them if they don’t work better.

Back to Redding...

Just Wow. Followed the instructions, cleaned the dies as suggested, set them up as suggested, made 20 round last night all in the middle of my 75.2 GNC in the middle of the 0.5gn node.

Never had an issue with either die.

Should get to shoot them tonight.
Taking a 223 Rem, 243 win, and 300 WSM and two friends who are going to breaking 3 new rifles.
Should be a nice evening.

Glad your new dies are working so well, that confirms that the Hornady die must be out of spec in some way. Good luck with the range session........

mjcmichigan":1klwecq6 said:
180gn using RL26
74.2 - 3070
74.5 - 3072
74.8 - 3111
75.1 - 3105
75.3- 3113
75.5-3116
75.8 -3149

Wow! that's about what my best loads with 165gr bullets will do.I just bought some R-26,gonna have to try some in my 300WSM.

Back