300 WSM factory ammo

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
3372eb357d2d5bda050dc5e60b00bc5a.jpg

This was a Winchester PowerPoint 180gn. The cases are a little long. Measure 2.115 and similar. The whole box had the marks. I would not think a case could touch lands because of the free bore, but I can’t guess what else made those marks.

To of the 20 cases were cracked in the neck after firing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Guess I’m tired, should have figured that out!

I can’t say I’ve seen factory ammo crack on the neck on first firing.

Seems to be brittle brass.

No overpressure signs.

I suppose if the necks were not proper thickness, bad things could happen.

I annealed the remaining cases before resizing.

mjcmichigan":3n9ukk7e said:
I can’t say I’ve seen factory ammo crack on the neck on first firing.

Seems to be brittle brass.

No overpressure signs.

I suppose if the necks were not proper thickness, bad things could happen.

I annealed the remaining cases before resizing.

That is concerning. I never ran across a split neck with Win factory in my 325 wsm, but that was 4 years ago, not sure if something has changed, but might want to call it to Win's attention, I just finished reading this the other day.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/split-necks-in-300wsm.728743/page-2

Thanks for sharing. These were older as I got them with the gun, I’d guess between 10 plus years old. If they were new, I’d call Winchester today.. given, I shot all the hand me downs...

Of the cases I made, with fresh purchased Winchester brass, I have not had that problem.

Guess I should get online and order a Redding set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those are pretty deep and significant leftover crimp marks - much more than I'm used to seeing. Many nearly disappear on firing. Just wondering if heavy crimp might have contributed to the two cracked ones. Sounds like you've got it handled, but it is a puzzlement...
EE2

Some older 300 WSM factory loads were genuinely "hot", like Weatherby stuff. Maybe they have it sorted out by now as it is a very popular round.

Back