Brass Issue

RL338

Handloader
Mar 23, 2017
I have a issue with my Hornady 6.5 Creed. brass from the get go. It was being sold 100pc bulk. The problem started with 32pcs that the bolt closed snug and extracted hard from new. At the time I thought is was odd that new brass would be like that , as most new brass is so loose the first time. After the first firing I ran them through a Redding body die (0.003” shoulder bump) and then a Lee Collet Die. I checked a few piece at random and everthing was fine I thought. On the second firing I came accross 32 pieces that chambered harder again , so I marked them and the next time through the body die I lubed them several times and ran them through until they would close easier. Now on the third firing I coming accross some that are hard to extract. So again I'm keeping track of them. This morning I took a couple of these and ran them through my Hornady full size die with no expander in and bump them back 0.004”. What I found was they would chamber easy one way and chamber hard when rotated 90*. So I marked one with a black marker and chambered them. This is what I got A0158881-3A7B-42EB-8EB2-BF3337F182E6.jpeg on one side and 90* there was no marks 43B34ACA-6DAC-45FB-BA82-4A844CE8D593.jpeg. This is the first time I ever had an issue like this. My question is , would a small base die cure my issue or should I give up on this and move on? The rifle shoots great but these problem cases do shift the point of impact a little.

I would check with Hornady about the issue as you are using their FL die and brass. It might be good try a different shell holder if you can. I have had a grain or powder / sand get under the shell holder and cause some annoyances...

I ran into a similar issue two months ago, a new Forster FL 30-06 die that wouldn't size let alone touch the body of any case (tried brass from 3 different rifles, one of which was a semi). Forster replaced that die with one that actually sizes the full length of brass from all three rifles; their customer service was top notch IMO.

Just to confirm, are the rims square on those problem pieces of brass? Also, have you used brass from other companies without issue?

Edited to add - if I were in your shoes I would resize the marked case in the body die or the Hornady FL die and re-run the test a few times changing where brass is in relation to the die and chamber. The goal would be to see if changing the position of a problem case in the die changes where it sticks in the chamber. This would tell, if the chamber is consistently tight in one spot, or if the dies are out of round / ram or shell holder not straight or other equipment variance.

Good luck.

Nimrod84":1n4l97o8 said:
I would check with Hornady about the issue as you are using their FL die and brass. It might be good try a different shell holder if you can. I have had a grain or powder / sand get under the shell holder and cause some annoyances...

I ran into a similar issue two months ago, a new Forster FL 30-06 die that wouldn't size let alone touch the body of any case (tried brass from 3 different rifles, one of which was a semi). Forster replaced that die with one that actually sizes the full length of brass from all three rifles; their customer service was top notch IMO.

Just to confirm, it only happens with a few (32ish) pieces of Hornady brass and have you used brass from other companies? If so, that would likely rule out any issues with the rifle.

Good luck.

Spot on analysis. +1

The shelll holder is the same one I’ve used for years on 308 and 3006 base cases , no issue there. I measured the case web after each firing and it measures up the same with ones that chamber easy after firing.This leaves me thinking the rim is off square to the case. I have Perterson SRP brass on hand that I chambered 50 pcs with no issues. I just think bagged bulk Hornady brass is possibly seconds. That maybe the reason it is cheaper.

Understood - I would still run the brass through the test I edited into my original post. You might be able to run the problem brass through a die and then rotate 180 degrees and re-run the brass through the die, and get them to work in the chamber. If that works, you might still see a difference in point of impact, but they would be decent for load development (velocity / pressure checks with new lots of powder or primers), plinking or dummy rounds for resetting your bullet die.

Should be fairly easy to compare good brass vs. problem brass for straightness.

Contacting Hornady is still an option.

Hope you have good shooting and pleasant days.

I know that a shell fired in a chamber will have a higher spot at the base on one side due to tolerances in the chamber. Makes me wonder??? Have you used any other make of brass in that rifle or has the Hornady been the only one? While I suspect the brass is most likely to be the problem it might not hurt to check the chamber.
Paul B.

This morning I took 10 of the problem cases that I had seperated and rolled them on a level surface (no concentricity tool). What I found was the case head had a wobble , I was able to slide an 0.005” feeler guage under the rim of the case head as it rotated to the highest point. This gap was in line with the high spot marked on the case web in previous photo. I also rolled several pieces that chamber after firing and they were fine. In veiwing the headstamp the issuse was located in the same area on all of the ones I checked. Being I’m on the third firing I can’t imagine Hornady would do much now. After I finish this batch I’m going to cull out the 32pcs. and go from there. If there was a die that would size farther down the case it might help. The mark on the brass is about where my sizing dies bottom out. This load works so well though. I do have a bunch of SRP Peterson brass in the waiting. Thanks for the replies.

PM sent - DrMike and others likely have better suggestions than me at this point.

If you had a second shell holder you could try grinding a little off the top and seeing if that makes a difference. I would not do this to your known good shell holder that you use for 30-06, 308, etc. It might push the shoulder back too much in the Hornady FL die, but it might be fine with the body die and it would be a few dollars for a work-around if successful.

Back