380 acp

mrandrew

Beginner
Nov 15, 2011
I'm loading for a new to me 380. I'm wondering what powders you guys like with the 90 and 95 grain bullets.

I have 90 grain xtp and 95 grain plated bullets

so far 3 grains of tite group seems to do okay with the xtp bullets. I don't have a taper crimp die and am only seating the bullets with a seat die. Do you find that the taper crimp die is necessary?

Never loaded the 380. Do the rounds function a full magazine? Most semis need a bit of crimp. Your seating die can be adjusted to crimp. I use a special crimp die for 45 ACP but just don't know enough to tell you from the information.

My wife's PK380 does really well with HP38 and CFE-P and the 90-100 grain grain bullets. Mostly 90 gr XTP's and 100 gr Berry's round nose. with a light crimp from the Lee FCD.

I load the 90 gr XTP with 3.5 gr Universal. Its around 900-920 fps in a G42.
Accurate little round and pistol.

Loading 95 gr H/P with 3.2 grs WW231... same powder as H38, and getting 960-975 fps. Compares closely to factory rounds. So know that 3.2 grs is book max. I actually tested 3.0 to 3.4 and all worked flawlessly. Settled on 3.2 as it's factory equivalent velocity wise and was accurate out of my 1911-380. Good luck. (Regarding titegroup it is a popular powder for 380 in my research along with 231 which I happened to have on hand)

I use Unique because it works for me and I have a bunch of it. Don't have my data book handy at the moment but it is a case full with 90 gr XTP. Shoots to the sights and accurate out of my Keltec 380.

Haven't loaded for the "9mm kurz" but looking at it like a 9mm short, which is what it is, I think you are on the right track with titegroup. I have found it to be a very versatile powder for non-magnum handgun applications. Will do everything bullseye will do and more with flawless metering, clean burning and usually good accuracy across a variety of bullets and velocities.

Taper crimp or no depends on your handgun. I have a Walther P-1 9mm that absolutely needs a mild taper crimp for reliable feeding. My old Argentine Hi Power with cast bullets benefitted from it as well. 3 other 9mm handguns I load for couldn't care less. I'd say if you're getting reliable function without it, don't bother.

Back