35 Whelen and 9.3x62 case and/or reloading questions.

350JR

Handloader
Sep 21, 2012
Pardon my ignorance but looking at some bigger bore rounds for a future buy and/or working on another (not needed but wanted) wildcat in a bigger bore......I notice what seems to be a discrepancy.
Maybe it just looks like a discrepancy to me?

Much is posted around the web about "being careful when loading the Whelen" due to the small shoulder.
I also see posts of people using 9.3x62mm brass to form 35 Whelen, but not once have I noticed anything said about being careful when loading the 9.3.

Case diagrams show a difference in base/shoulder diameters but it's not much. Experience as taught me too that the BRASS one buys is more often than not, NOT the same diameters as shown in the diagrams, so what's the story?

With a larger diameter bullet in the 9.3 how come no one says much about worrying about headspace on THAT round, but it's rarely NOT mentioned on the Whelen?

I've looked at the 35 Brown-Whelen. Some of it I like, some I don't. I realize the reasons for it (capacity and shoulder size) but it's not what I would have done. (go figure, :p )

So, help me out guys. IS the same problem an issue on the 9.3 when reloading?

Going to find some brass here soon and do my own measuring. BTW, Midsouth has a nice sale on 9.3 and Whelen brass going on from Norma and Grafs has Lapua brass in the 9.3 knocked down in price by a nice hunk too. Just info.

Going to half to buy one or the other but assembling all the info I can before injecting funds into something just to make sure it's going to fly.

Thanks for any info and experiences. (y)

God Bless
Steve

(edited to correct the name of the 9.3)

The headspace problem with the Whelen is a myth, I'm not sure how it started. I have loaded probably thousands of 35 Whelen rounds without an issue. There were some H&R single shots out there that had chambers too long that misfired, I had one but that was a faulty gun not the fault of the cartridge. For that gun I just made sure the longer once fired brass was used in it and there were no problems.

I can't see any problems either with the 9.3x62 and headspace issues.

When it comes to choosing between the 35 Whelen or 9.3x62 there is no wrong answer and both are excellent. The way I see it is if you are a heavy bullet kind of guy the 9.3x62 is the one for you with lots of options heavier than 250 gr. If you want to be able to shoot pistol bullets and like using bullets in the 180-250 gr range then the Whelen is for you. Of course you can use a heavy bullet in the Whelen and there are a few lighter bullets for the 9.3x62 but in general that is what I think.

Gerry is spot-on in his answer. There is no problem loading for either of these cartridges.

Agree with the previous 2 fellows.
The base on the 9,3-62 is slightly (.002-3) larger than 06 brass. .476 vs .473. With that said I have seen mentioned using 06 brass in a pinch.
Length. The x62 is slightly shorter. 2.44 vs 2.494

I can't speak of the 9.3X62 but have down extensive work with the 35Whelen and the 35 Whelen Ackely Improved and have had no problems loading either of the two.
If your plans are to hunt North America I can tell you you need not look any farther then a 35 Whelen. When loaded to modern pressure ratings of 62K psi it will preform beyond expectations.
The 35 Whelen Ackely Improved is nipping at the heals of the 338 Win.
Yes I'm a 35 Whelen fan.

Thanks to all. After shooting my short 350Jr wildcat, I got first hand experience with the 35 bore and became a fan. The Whelen is a 100 fps or a tad more step up. Even if I do go with a wildcat, it will be a 35 bore.

Sorry about the "9.2x62" in the title. Proof reading is not my forte' LOL Leave it to me to typo the name of a grand ol' round. :oops:

I just NOW saw it.....and not sure how to change it.

The 9.3 is an impressive round too, all on it's own.

Many feel that "nothing is gained" wildcatting. John Barsness said it best once in one of his articles or posts, I believe.

"We each wanted a hunting cartridge that was ours, that would work well and have that extra hint of something special and that's the real reason most wildcat rounds are invented today."

Absolutely nothing is to really be gained......except the hours and hours of fun one adds to his love of hunting spent thinking, measuring, planning and executing any altercations to a case.

Wildcats are hardly ever "better" anymore, except for the creator who simply added "his touch" to something that was working just fine as is.

All response is appreciate, now......and any more that may come.

God Bless
Steve

Really love Whelens. I’ve done 2 of them on Remington 700’s. Almost a 375 H&H but 5 in the mag instead of 3.

The 35 Whelan has plenty of shoulder for loading.
I've been loading for the 35 Whelan since 1988 so I do have some experience with this round. I can tell you that it is a hammer on game.
JD338

'The headspace problem with the Whelen is a myth, I'm not sure how it started.'

I think it all started with the .400 Whelen which came fire and did have headspacing problems due to a very minimal shoulder. I'm thinking that was just passed on down to the .35 as well.

I have three rifles chambered to the .35 Whelen. Two are no problem but one does have a chamber that is way too long. Factory ammo can have case head separations on the first shot. Fixed that problem by fire forming a specific batch of brass and a new F/L sizing die set up specifically for that rifle.

I dunno about the 9.3x62 as I have no use for the cartridge. I've done six elk hunts with the .35 Whelen and every one was flat out hammered down.

I do admit that I am strongly prejudiced in favor of the .35 Whelen. I just plain works.
Paul B.

Some good answers here...yes, the headspace problem from the small shoulder is a myth. If there's anything to it, it's that chamber dimensions on wildcats (and especially older wildcats) can often vary wildly since every smith seems to put them together to their own specification.

A lot of early Whelens were rebores of shot out 03s...and I bet very few pairs of two chambers came out alike. Rather than blame the smith, or the reamer, or whatever...a lot of folks blamed the cartridge.

Has anyone seen any noticeable case capacity differences between brass manufacturers on these two rounds?

Thanks again
God Bless
Steve

I load for the 9.3x62, and have never had a problem with headspace. I’m sure the 35 Whelen won’t have any issues either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I load for the 9.3x62, and have never had a problem with headspace. I’m sure the 35 Whelen won’t have any issues either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had/loaded for/used several 35 Whelens, 2 Whelen Improveds and 3 9.3x62s (one custom Krieger barrel) I never had any headspace issues with the standard Whelen, for sure NOT with the Ackley Improveds :))) but the only 9.3x62 "that did NOT" was the custom chambered/built Krieger. A Ruger African 9.3x62 failed to set off several "factory loads" ( Vortex 286 TSX) though the Lapua factory 285 was fine. The CZ550 carbine also had a misfire (while the big hog was 25yds away charging) with the same ammo. To "me" it comes down to how the 9.3x62 is chambered, whether or not one would handload for it (for sure would advise "only fireformed cases") and try several rounds of several makes IF one only used factory ammo. I also felt the 9.3x62 was just not quite as versatile as the 35 Whelen Improved ( a better match up/comparison IMO) When you realize that 200-250yds is about average "long distance" shots for hunting, either are just terrific killers. Due to limited time for tinkering and such, I went to a 338 WM (though I even had a Mod 77 back in '93 that had misfires too, from headspace issues.) Reliability is an obsession with me, but it takes time/resources to determine it in any weapon. If one doesn't mind, hey, go hunting! :)

Back