Toning it down a bit

lefty315

Handloader
Sep 29, 2004
I have a really accurate, but stout load for my .450 Marlin using the Remington 405 grain bullet. My guide gun doesn't wear a scope so the gun isn't very heavy and quite frankly the load isn't very pleasant to shoot. I dropped down a bit in the powder charge and now have a load that doesn't want to knock my teeth out when I pull the trigger. Interesting was how high the impact was with the slower load. At 50 yards I was now 8 inches high. Made a sight adjustment on my Williams peep and brought it down. Then took it to 100 yards.

Two shots on the left in the upper group were my reloads, then the one to the right of that was with a Hornady 350 factory load. Lowered my sight again and fired two reloads and a factory load. Both my reload groups (2 shots) were at 3/4ths of an inch. What's nice is I have two loads that have the same point of impact. I don't think I could do much better if I had a scope on the thing.

Attachments

• IMG_2169.JPG
    IMG_2169.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 657
That looks really good lefty. I have loads for both the 350 and 405 grain bullets in my 45/70. Both are loaded with modest loads, but I can sure tell the difference. I have not had mine on a bench for a long time and probably need to check my loads again. I have mine sighted in for 100 yards.

I've got mine dead on at 100 which will be more than adequate for my needs but with the 350 factory shooting as flat as it does a 200 yard shot, under the right circumstances, wouldn't be undoable.

I liked shooting my 1895GS in 45/70 with Unique or 2400 for light loads. RL7 for heavy loads. Peep sights were very accurate

Nice shooting lefty. That's a thumper load for sure.

JD338

Nice! And you're right those doggone big-bore Marlins can kick pretty doggone good when loaded stout!

Guy

Man Lefty, you got that bad boy humming and I wouldn't want to be the animal on the other end of it. Good shooting.

Good shooting.

As much as I don't like Hornady, multiple bad experiences with their customer service, their 350 grain jacketed bullets are great for the 45-70. There are several good powders. I favor H-4895.

Back